• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jeff Teague gets his FIRST START!

HawksFan87

Secaucus, N.J.–Joe Johnson is out tonight. He’s not going to play tomorrow at Toronto, either, and Woody said J.J.’s status is up in the air for Friday’s game against Charlotte at Philips Arena.

The Hawks say J.J. has a strained Achilles’ tendon.

“He’s day-to-day,” Woody said.

Bibby’s back is better and he will start tonight. In a surprise move, Woody plans to go with My Blog People MVP Jeff Teague at point guard and Bibby at shooting guard instead of using Mo Evans to replace Johnson.

It’s Teague’s first start.

“We’ll give it a shot,” Woody said, adding with a smile: “I can always sub early.”

“(Teague) has played with different combinations,” Woody said. “This is no different. He will do what he does best: push the ball, defend, get people involved.”

Teague, low-key as always, said he’s ready.

“I’ve been playing basketball my whole life, and I’ve usually started,” he said. “It will be the same as coming off the bench.”

Woody said he made the move because he wants Teague’s quickness against Nets guard Devin Harris. Harris might miss the game due to illness but presumably Woody would stick with Teague either way.

“He’s quick, so you have to try to keep him out of the lane,” Teague said of Harris. “He can score; we all know that. I’m not going to say I’m going to lock him down or anything like that. I just want to try and contain him.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/03/16/atlanta-hawks-at-nets-the-rook-jeff-teague-gets-his-shot/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Uhmm Woody, why didn't he start or play much against the other fast guys lol???

Teague will play 18 minutes tonight . . . so under.

LOL @ Woody throwing everyone a curve, and going with the Bibby - Teague combo. The "I can always sub early" line was claSsic. That's exactly what he'll do, if we struggle early.

I say Teague goes 2 - 6 FG . . . 2 - 2 FT . . . 6 pts - 3 asst - 2 rebs - 1 stl - 1 to . . . in 18 min

This is great news. I wonder why he hasn't done it more (not starting him, but playing him more) against lightning quick PGs. I hope Teague shines in his first start. And if he is playing well, I hope Woodson keeps him in there instead of taking him out...

As I said in another post, Teague avaeraged 20 MPG in the two games we have played against the Nets so far. Whether he gets more or less is largely dependent on Woodson and how Teague plays.

• Moderators

A historical note from almost exactly one decade ago, when the Hawks decided in March 2000 to start a 'JT' rookie at point guard for the first time.

That team was 22-33 and reeling from the Isaiah Rider saga and a three-game losing streak. With the chance at another annual trip to the playoffs slipping away, Lenny Wilkens elected to unseat the venerable Bimbo Coles, handing the point guard keys over to Jason Terry.

Jet responded with 17 points and 5 assists as the Hawks beat the Knicks. Despite falling out of the playoff picture, Terry would remain the Hawks' starting PG for the rest of the season.

~lw3

I was hoping to better evaluate Teague as a PG, but two things:

1. Instead of bringin the ball up the court and playing a traditional PG role, Teague was instead playing off the ball.

2. JJ is out, so even if Teague had played the traditional PG role instead of Bibby, the main converter of assists is out.

Doesn't help he grabbed two early fouls.

Teague does have active hands, but he does still seem a little lost sometimes. I hope Woodson doesnt plant him to the bench for the rest of the game though.