• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Defending Dwight: Big Al and Josh may need to commit hard fouls vs. AAU "friend"

hawks21

Dwight Howard uses begins the game with a smile on his face and ends the game with a smile on his face when he plays the Atlanta Hawks.

THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

Josh Smith, our 6'8 power forward is a close friend and former high school teammate on AAU , but at what point will Josh, Zaza, Big Al or even Joe Smith begin to mix things up and get in Dwight's head? Dwight is almost at his limit for technical fouls, and one more means a one-game suspension.

Until Josh Smith commits to staying in the paint and battling Dwight along with Big Al, Dwight and the Orlando team will win most of the time, and especially in a 4 game series.

Ball movement is essential against the Magic, and the Hawks will need to have a big night from Jamal Crawford shooting the ball and Maurice Evans has to be able to provide points off the bench as well.

The Magic are in vulnerable position with Dwight, but the Hawks' have to be committed to transition defense and maintaining physicality with Dwight before he settles in the post. Josh, Big Al has to take that challenge along with Zaza or maybe even RANDOLPH MORRIS (for a few minutes).

AL can't guard Dwight lol, Za-Za is actually the only player on the team who has gotten under Dwight's skin and frustrated him, . We have to figure out how to shut down everyone else on the team, They have hurt us more than Dwight has this year

Horford gets into early foul trouble a lot against Howard. And Zaza does seem to bother Howard. I wouldn't mind seeing Zaza get pleny of time early to try to rattle Howard and keep Horford out of foul trouble.

The only thing that bothers Howard is when he gets called for fouls. Which is why a crafty flopper like Zaza has annoyed him in the past. But even that cheap trick doesn't seem to work anymore. Horford's heroic play against Duncan was great to see, but I still have no confidence against Howard. He has the nice size and strength advantage Duncan has, but he has the added advantage of unreal athleticism.

I agree. I think we need to put Collins on Howard, like we did for Shaq. Shaq got pissed as hell, and didn't have a good game. I don't see why not try it against Howard? I think it's the best plan. But hey, it's w/e. And i'm not saying the whole game, or a lot of minutes, just for couple mins to get him frustrated, and to have an off night.

Edited by AHawks89

AL can't guard Dwight lol, Za-Za is actually the only player on the team who has gotten under Dwight's skin and frustrated him, . We have to figure out how to shut down everyone else on the team, They have hurt us more than Dwight has this year

I have to agree with this.

The problem we face, is that we can't afford for Horford to get in early foul trouble by trying to hack and body-up Howard. He has to play smart on the defensive end ( with help from others ) but maybe try to attack him on the offensive end.

But you're right. Horford can't guard Howard, and Zaza is the only dude that has frustrated Howard at times.

If we fail miserably at stopping Orlando and Howard tonight, Woody may have no choice but to start Zaza against the Magic, if we meet them in the playoffs. Give Zaza his usual minutes, but play him against Howard to start both the 1st and 2nd half. Then use Horford off the bench, and see if he can be effective against the 2nd unit and a somewhat worn down Howard in the 4th quarter.

The only thing that bothers Howard is when he gets called for fouls. Which is why a crafty flopper like Zaza has annoyed him in the past. But even that cheap trick doesn't seem to work anymore. Horford's heroic play against Duncan was great to see, but I still have no confidence against Howard. He has the nice size and strength advantage Duncan has, but he has the added advantage of unreal athleticism.

True. However he doesn't have Duncans skills. The key with him is to just stop him from getting all the way to the rim. You can let him shoot over you all day, as long as it isn't a layup.

Howard is not a good passer and not the smartest player. If i was the coach i would say double him as soon as he puts the ball on the ground and retreat to an open man as soon as he picks up the ball. Don't stay in the double after he picks up his dribble. Let him shoot over Horford if he wants to.

I agree. I think we need to put Collins on Howard, like we did for Shaq. Shaq got pissed as hell, and didn't have a good game. I don't see why not try it against Howard? I think it's the best plan. But hey, it's w/e. And i'm not saying the whole game, or a lot of minutes, just for couple mins to get him frustrated, and to have an off night.

Jason Collins may need to play at least 12-15 minutes and rotate Zaza and even RANDOLPH MORRIS for a few minutes. Dwight is still a very inconsistent free throw shooter, so 'Hack a Dwight' may help slow the Magic down, but the Hawks outside shooters must be able to have an impact.

Jason Collins may need to play at least 12-15 minutes and rotate Zaza and even RANDOLPH MORRIS for a few minutes. Dwight is still a very inconsistent free throw shooter, so 'Hack a Dwight' may help slow the Magic down, but the Hawks outside shooters must be able to have an impact.

Not really. Dwight has always seemed to throw FTs well against the Hawks, atleast this year. Just like Ray Allen shoots air-balls against the Hawks sometimes . :help wanted3:

You're kidding right? 12-15 minutes? Collins would foul out in less than that. Last game against the Magic, Woody brought in Collins before Zaza, and Collins got 3 fouls in 2 minutes, and he was a moron on offense.

Collins will be good for 6 fouls and little else. Plus, they aren't even hard fouls, he gave Dwight and-1's whenever he fouled him, and I bet he does it again. Zaza is the only one who gets physical and does anything to upset Howard, but then he basically fails by trying to do too much on the offensive end. Zaza needs to play crafty, and within himself and get Dwight those early fouls.

You're kidding right? 12-15 minutes? Collins would foul out in less than that. Last game against the Magic, Woody brought in Collins before Zaza, and Collins got 3 fouls in 2 minutes, and he was a moron on offense.

Collins will be good for 6 fouls and little else. Plus, they aren't even hard fouls, he gave Dwight and-1's whenever he fouled him, and I bet he does it again. Zaza is the only one who gets physical and does anything to upset Howard, but then he basically fails by trying to do too much on the offensive end. Zaza needs to play crafty, and within himself and get Dwight those early fouls.

That's what I'm trying to say.. We don't need much time from them anyways. Who cares if they foul? I mean it's Dwight shooting at the FT. I think that would give him a bad game; giving him fouls, taking him to the line all the time. I know how that situation is, it throws you off your momentum.

That's what I'm trying to say.. We don't need much time from them anyways. Who cares if they foul? I mean it's Dwight shooting at the FT. I think that would give him a bad game; giving him fouls, taking him to the line all the time. I know how that situation is, it throws you off your momentum.

If you're going to foul, FOUL, don't give him and-1's like Collins does. Foul hard.

If you're going to foul, FOUL, don't give him and-1's like Collins does. Foul hard.

I'm pretty sure he would! You can't argue that he wouldn't. We've only see him play like 10mins all together this season. When he played against Shaq; he got inside of his his head pretty damn good. Hey, I'm just throwing some ideas out there because what ever we've been drawing up, sure hell ain't working. :conversation:

Josh and Horf are continuing to go weak to the rim. Why are they so damn afraid of Dwight? 10 rebs in the 1st quarter??? are you serious. weak pump fakes over and over waiting for him to leave his feet? HE ISNT GOING TO JUMP Fellas, just put the ball up before he gets close enuff to stuff you. And Josh, stop passing out the paint for a jumper just because Dwight stares at you. He not going anywhere all game, your going to have to challenge him eventually. Grow a pair BOYZ and play like you care about your pride.