• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe & Craw were 9 for 31

JackB1

How the heck did we win that game last night with Joe and Crawford shooting a horrible 9 out of 31?

Also Marvin disappeared again...going 2 for 9 and blew many wide open jumpers. I think Mo Evans

was our leading scorer at halftime! Thats scary :)

I dont think we can count on Orlando shooting 37% most nights and I will take the win, but, we will have

to do a better job if we face them in the playoffs. Howard grabs rebounds on us like they are falling

from the sky and we had no answer for Nelson whenever he penetrated. I thought Zaza did the best

job defensively against Dwight by far and we should play him more minutes when we play them again

and have Al at the 4 more often. You could even move Josh to the 3 and sit Marvin more.

I am glad we grabbed that win, but bottom line is we won't win most night when we get such poor shooting

from our guards.

It frustrates me to no end every time I see Joe or Crawford with 5-20 stats. We have enough other options available.

Why can't we find the hot guy and go to him for the night? Seems like Joe and Craw will take 20 shot a night whether

or not they are hot, while Horford will finnish the game at 5-6. I blame Woody for most of this, because it needs to be

part of the gameplan. When Joe is off, he needs to try other shooters.

Edited by JackB1

It's because they're the only 2 that can consistently create their own shot at any given time. Horford and Smoove aren't efficient offensive players when they have to create their own shot. They need to be set up by our guards. That's not to say that JJ and Craw shouldn't defer to the other guys when both of them are cold. But when the shot clock is winding down, and you need to get a shot, JJ and Crawford are the 2 most likely guys to be able to create and make a shot at any given time.

All 4 of Horford's made jumpers were set up by JJ or Jamal. When he tried to post up and create himself, he wasn't efficient at all. It's pretty much a fact of life in the NBA, that the guys who can create their own shot off the dribble, will be the ones most likely to get the most shot attempts. So while what you say may be correct, it isn't always that simple as it seems to get those other guys shots that they can make.

The Magic outrebounded us by 10.

They out rebounded us 7 to 3 in the final 5:30. That is how we gave up our 11 point lead. There is a trend with us giving up 4th quarter leads and it happens b/c we can't rebound the basketball. Funny how rebounding the basketball is Woody's primary talking point...........that proves its not alwayses the coaches fault. He can preach it all day but the players have to box out and rebound MUCH better then they have been doing in the 2nd half of this season.

JJ and Crawford were forced to create shots b/c Smoove and Horford are not big enough to post up vs. the Magic's front line. Even when they have a small PF on the floor Howard's help defense is messing with their heads for good reason. Hoford did a good job making perimeter jumpers and both guys ran the floor (when we could get a rebound).

The bottom line is that we have to rebound more in order to get our transition offense cranked up. If you let Orlando settle into their half court defense, with Howard controlling the paint, we will need excellent shooting nights to beat them 9 times out of 10. Tonight was the exception b/c the Magic shot so poorly themselves.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

What good is it that you create your shot when you shoot under 30% in the game. If you keep pounding it with Josh and Horford at least you are forcing the other team to play defense inside, and you are increasing your chances at going to the free-throw line and getting fouled. Taking jumper after jumper when we are making 29% of them is the worst offensive strategy possible when you are trying to hold on to a lead.

I dont understand why our offense totally changes in the 4th quarter EVERY GAME! We stop moving the ball and everyone but Joe or Jamal seems to not want the ball.

Marvin and Josh seem to disappear in the 4th and no plays are run for Al. This is also why we seem to blow leads in the 4th....we stop doing what got us the lead.

This has to be blamed on Woody. There is no ball movement in the 4th quarters and all we do is iso-Joe and iso-Jamal.

I dont understand why our offense totally changes in the 4th quarter EVERY GAME! We stop moving the ball and everyone but Joe or Jamal seems to not want the ball.

Marvin and Josh seem to disappear in the 4th and no plays are run for Al. This is also why we seem to blow leads in the 4th....we stop doing what got us the lead.

This has to be blamed on Woody. There is no ball movement in the 4th quarters and all we do is iso-Joe and iso-Jamal.

We pound it in the paint to Horford, more then posters pretend on here, when we have a favorable matchup.

Vs. Torronto we went to Horford repeatedly in the post and he delivered vs. Bosh. Unfortunately our lack of rebounding and giving up 2nd chance points lost that game for us just like it almost lost the Magic game for us.

Vs. the Magic we can't post up Al up on Howard in crunch time. The refs are not going to make close foul calls against the Defensive Player of the Year, who the national media promotes as "Superman." Sure we could have Horford jacking up mid range shots, rather then JJ and Crawford, but that takes our best rebounder out of position to get an offensive rebound.

Edited by coachx

What good is it that you create your shot when you shoot under 30% in the game.

It does no good at all. Too bad we don't have a crystal ball to forcast their bad shooting nights for us.

Good thing they are both shooting 45% on the season though.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

It does no good at all. Too bad we don't have a crystal ball to forcast their bad shooting nights for us.

Good thing they are both shooting 45% on the season though.

Going into the fourth their shooting % were just as bad. If the shot is not dropping then adapt, it's all I'm saying. We went a whopping 8+ minutes without a FG in the fourth quarter. During that stretch Josh and Horford didn't take more than a couple of shots between them... It was all perimeter jumpshots. The same thing happened in Cleveland, and we have had many other stretches (though not as bad) were we do the exact same thing.

Edited by Atlantaholic

'Rebounding the basketball" is not why the Hawks are blowing these leads. It's hard to grab rebounds when you go 8 straight minutes w/o a basket. The reason the Hawks blow these leads is because they stop moving the ball in the 4th. They had no assists in the entire 4th quarter vs Milwaukee and one assist in the 4th last night that came before Joe checked in.