• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

This guy pretty much somes it up.

dhawk

• Premium Member

Good God...this is the best Hawks article that I have read all year. This guy has nailed down what MOST of us have been trying to say for a long time. I have been a very loud critic of Mike Woodson for a long time. Long before most of the hub-bub about him started to boil - back when his static substitutions were the biggest gripe around here. I wanted him gone long before BK tried to can him.

BUT...

Looking back, I unfairly blamed him for too much of our woes. True, back then I felt that a better coach could get more out of our guys (still think so). But it was really mostly on a lack of development of these kids. They were too young and along developing their game, they needed guys like Bibby and JJ...and they needed a guy like Horf to come in with a champion's attitude. Now that all the pieces have come together, I have to give Woodson his due. I can't sit here and call the man a bad coach when he is WELL respected by the guys on Detroit's championship team and the fact that we are coming up on our first 50+ win season in 13 YEARS. Just can't argue with that.

But this is where the Squawk gets split it seems. Some of us focus on that number and say, well sh!t, the man knows what he's doing obviously because we have all these wins and we're kicking butt. Some of us look at that number and see the things pointed out in this article and we what we COULD be. And it's like...good Lord...we could honestly beat ANYBODY.

I'm of the latter group. It's not about "pretty" basketball. It's about spreading the floor and making the defense pick their poison. We've got 2 guys that are tough to cover and often require a double team, 2 guys who are pretty good at scoring in the post - one of them being a freak athlete - and a PG who can (when he doesn't suck) hit the 3pt shot. How the hell are we ever predictable? Because unfortuneately, our coach doesn't give a damn about the offense. He thinks it will "take care of itself." And he's right. When you have weapons like that, the offense will take care of itself. Problem is, when the defense figures out our predictable gameplan or buckles down - we're F#@%!'D

We can count on it during the playoffs, and that will be the end of our season. I'm a fan like everyone else here, but I'm realistic too. I hope we go all the way to the gold with this offense and I will jump and scream every step of the way. I know it'd be a LOT easier if Woodson would do something about this offense. It's really the only thing holding us back.

• Premium Member

People underrate our talent. JJ + Craw is one of the very best backcourts in basketball. Al + Josh is a top three PF/C tandem in the NBA. We are talking about four players who are playing All Star caliber basketball this year. Sure our weakness is still the PG spot and depth, but there is no freaking excuse why we have the type of offensive lulls that we do in the halfcourt. There is enough offensive talent here that that should never happen on a regular basis like it's been happening.