• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Best SG in Hawks History...

Diesel

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's clearly Joe and Steve Smith would even tell you that

Steve Smith 4.5 years in Atlanta- 1 all-star game

18.6 PPG

3.8 RPG

3.5 APG

0.9 SPG

0.3 BPG

.429 FG%

.336 3P%

JOe Johnson 5 years in Atlanta- 4 all-star games

21.7 PPG

4.4 RPG

5.5 APG

1.1 SPG

0.2 BPG

.448 FG%

.368 3P%

The only problem with comparing the two guys is that Smith played in the all defense, slow it to a crawl NBA. JJ really benefits from the more open game of the NBA now. Like both guys, but I like Smith a little better. Watching the two of them Smith had higher BB-IQ than JJ. Smith seemed to understand when to go into the post vs. playing all that one on one garbage that JJ gets himself into.

Re: all-star appearances

Smith was competing against Jordan and Miller.

Steve Smith wasnt a jumper or athletic. He was nailed to the ground even before all his knee operations.

Not true, far from it.

It's funny how people hate JJ's ISOs, but don't consider what Smitty would do when he'd back down smaller guards on the wings, as ISOs as well.

The only difference is that JJ will face you up, and either pass the ball to an open shooter, take a 19 footer in your face, or drive into the lane and shoot a floater . . .

. . . while Smitty will back you down, and either pass the ball to an open shooter, and take a turnaround 15 footer, or do a spin move and drive toward a lay-up.

Both are ISO offenses

Matter of fact, all Lenny Wilkens used to run, was pick and roll with Mookie and whomever . . . and ISOs

ISO Smitty

ISO Dikembe

ISO K-Willis

Most of those were post up ISOs, so I guess that makes them more acceptable than the JJ ISOs that he scores off of.

You can't compare the two guys offensive stats to determine the better player. Lenny's needing to keep the score 80 something to 80 something in order to win really hampered Smitty's scoring numbers. Anyone want to tell us what Smitty's Hawks PPG was compared to JJ's PPG? Personally I think JJ is the slightly more talented player (their games are so similar it's kinda eery) but I think Smitty was a bonafide leader. I'd take Smitty over JJ based on his leadership.