• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson 6-17 13 points..I have an idea...LETS GIVE HIM 20 MILLIONS DOLLARS!

MVP23

• Premium Member

I think this is the third time that both of those articles have been posted. People need to check the archives before starting a new thread. Otherwise, just make your post in one of the 354235 existing "JJ's contract" threads that are on the front page right now.

• Premium Member

gallery_115_8_14275.jpg

I got tired of messing with the axis labels, so lemme just explain this chart as simply as I can.

Red = Brandon Roy

Blue = Joe Johnson

Yellow = Kobe Bryant

The x-axis is the player's ORtg (I lumped them into seven categories from ~60 to 200). The y-axis is the percentage of games that fall into each category.

As you can see, Roy is a bit more likely than the others to have a "clunker" of a game. Kobe is more likely to have a spectacular performance. Joe generally falls between Roy and Bryant.

Edited by mrhonline
  • Like 1

I think if Roy was a free agent this year he would get more interest from teams regardless of various numbers being skewed by different teammates, systems, etc.

He would do so because of age and age alone.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

Who is Sund going to find that will shoot 45% FG, average 18 ppg, and play defense . . and set others up for their offense? You guys act like JJ is a dime a dozen player. Even Crawford isn't a dime a dozen player. Some of you confuse JJ not being Kobe, as JJ being replaceable.

Do some of you realize how long it took us to find a legit SF to replace Dominique? . . . or Dikembe Mutumbo? . . . or Steve Smith?

And we still haven't found a PG on the level of Mookie Blaylock.

All-Star players are NOT easy to replace folks. Just ask the New York Knicks.

I'm with North, here. For those wanting to run JJ out with the bathwater, where are the Hawks finding 20/5/5 on 45% shooting from? What, Kobe or Wade's coming here? And sorry, after seeing how Sund housed the Warriors on the Crawford deal, I seriously doubt that they even pick up the phone if they see a 404-770-578 area code on the caller ID.

This is bad comedy, folks. Did you guys learn ANYTHING watching the '94-95 squad try to replace Nique/Manning's productivity with the likes of Ken Norman and Tyrone Corbin that year? How well did that go? For the youngsters, I remember because I was there to watch a 57-win, division winning, top seeded team transform into a 43-win underling who got stomped out in front of 1,000 Pacer fans at the Omni during the playoffs.

Are you ready to see Crawford and Josh Smith go into full-blown 'gotta get mine' mode when they're told that they have to go for 23-27 apiece each night for them to have a shot? Are you ready to see Marvin step up and....never mind, insert your own bad joke here, let's move on.

JJ isn't Kobe, Lebron, or Wade but he sure as hell isn't Dion Glover or Ed Gray. Considering that the Hawks aren't likely to add veteran help (and sorry, Josh Childress doesn't count) because of their cap position, I'll take him. You can do a lot worse; a helluva lot worse...

• Like 2

JJ is a very good player but some of you are not being very realistic . No way you can pay him 20 million per with the prospect of him not even being the teams best player in two years . You would hope he would understand this and agree to something that benefits the team as well as himself .

Coach, I understand the CBA in Laymen terms it's why I describe it in laymen terms. I put it out there in an easy enough way that I don't have to be reading misinformed or simply ignorant posts all the time.

That is the most frustrating thing about most sports teams public forums. The misinformed or ignorant have vocal opinions and start tons of threads............even though they do not have a clue.

• Premium Member

That is the most frustrating thing about most sports teams public forums. The misinformed or ignorant have vocal opinions and start tons of threads............even though they do not have a clue.

Trust me, it ain't limited to sports forums.

JJ is a very good player but some of you are not being very realistic . No way you can pay him 20 million per with the prospect of him not even being the teams best player in two years . You would hope he would understand this and agree to something that benefits the team as well as himself .

And once again . . who is talking about paying the dude 20 million?

We're not going to pay him 20 million a year. But some of you act like he's only worth 10 million, with the way some of you go at that dude on a nightly basis, especially after he has a lackluster game. It's been explained continuously how much other teams can offer him, compared to what we can do. And the trump card we have, is that we can offer him that extra 6th year ( if necessary ) . . which could far surpass any deal any other team can offer him.

He's not going to make Kobe or D-Wade money. I think even he knows that. But the dude is going to get paid whether it be by us, or by somebody else.

And if I have to supposedly "overpay" to keep an All-Star player here, rather than to go on some duck hunt to try to find multiple guys to replace him, then I'm willing to "overpay" him.

I mean . . . if you're willing to see the Hawks move on, by replacing JJ with a combination of Josh Childress and a free agent like Flip Murray, then be my guest. Remember, even we renounce JJ's rights and he goes to another team, it's not like we're going to have a lot of money to get a starter quality 2-guard here. That's what some of you don't get.

If you have to overpay to keep an All-Star quality guard in the mix, rather than searching for "diamonds in the rough" to replace him, then you're much better off overpaying for that star player. What kills teams, is when they overpay for mediocre to bad players. When Speedy Claxton kept getting injured, his 5 mill a year contract was a detriment to the team.

And if Marvin and Bibby keep playing like they do, their 5 and 7 million dollar deals ( which looked to be fair at the time ), will become extremely detrimental to the team. So even if JJ isn't the best player on the squad in Year 4 of his contract, his contract won't be a detriment to the team unless he becomes extremely unproductive or just an average SG.

Vince Carter is "technically" overpaid, making 16 mill this year and 17 mill next year. But he's still a viable enough of a player to be an important cog to that Magic team. And probably will still be next year. The Magic ain't tripping off Vince making that much money, as long as he can still come up big in a game every now and then.

• Premium Member

I always find it a bit amusing to go to other team's sites and boards or on neutral sites like realgm.com and see fans of other teams trying to concoct ways to lure Joe Johnson to their team but when you here it seems like the inmates run the asylum and are eager to ditch Joe.

• Moderators

And once again . . who is talking about paying the dude 20 million?

We're not going to pay him 20 million a year. But some of you act like he's only worth 10 million, with the way some of you go at that dude on a nightly basis, especially after he has a lackluster game. It's been explained continuously how much other teams can offer him, compared to what we can do. And the trump card we have, is that we can offer him that extra 6th year ( if necessary ) . . which could far surpass any deal any other team can offer him.

He's not going to make Kobe or D-Wade money. I think even he knows that. But the dude is going to get paid whether it be by us, or by somebody else.

And if I have to supposedly "overpay" to keep an All-Star player here, rather than to go on some duck hunt to try to find multiple guys to replace him, then I'm willing to "overpay" him.

I mean . . . if you're willing to see the Hawks move on, by replacing JJ with a combination of Josh Childress and a free agent like Flip Murray, then be my guest. Remember, even we renounce JJ's rights and he goes to another team, it's not like we're going to have a lot of money to get a starter quality 2-guard here. That's what some of you don't get.

If you have to overpay to keep an All-Star quality guard in the mix, rather than searching for "diamonds in the rough" to replace him, then you're much better off overpaying for that star player. What kills teams, is when they overpay for mediocre to bad players. When Speedy Claxton kept getting injured, his 5 mill a year contract was a detriment to the team.

And if Marvin and Bibby keep playing like they do, their 5 and 7 million dollar deals ( which looked to be fair at the time ), will become extremely detrimental to the team. So even if JJ isn't the best player on the squad in Year 4 of his contract, his contract won't be a detriment to the team unless he becomes extremely unproductive or just an average SG.

Vince Carter is "technically" overpaid, making 16 mill this year and 17 mill next year. But he's still a viable enough of a player to be an important cog to that Magic team. And probably will still be next year. The Magic ain't tripping off Vince making that much money, as long as he can still come up big in a game every now and then.

I am 100% on board with this. I want to see JJ return even if we "overpay" a bit.

• Premium Member

Anyone who says that they would give Joe the max salary is saying that they think he is worth 20 million a year for 6 years.

Or that it is better to pay him an average of $20M for 6 years than to let him walk for nothing.

Or that it is better to pay him an average of $19.3M for 5 years and then trade his expiring contract than to let him walk for nothing.

Or that it is better to pay him an average of $18.5M for 4 years or $17.7M for 3 years and then trade him while he is still a Ray Allen-type talent than to let him walk for nothing.

Or that any of the above scenarios would be preferable to letting a 4-time All-Star in his prime walk for nothing.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Signing a 30 year old SG to a six year max deal is scary, but the rest of our options are not much better. It's either sign Joe, be a 6th-8th seed, or rebuild. (I.E. Trade Josh or Horf for a superstar or a number 1 pick).

He's not 30. I also don't think he is going to resign here. I think we'll be looking for a trade to try and get us something back in a sign and trade.