• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson 6-17 13 points..I have an idea...LETS GIVE HIM 20 MILLIONS DOLLARS!

MVP23

Signing a 30 year old SG to a six year max deal is scary, but the rest of our options are not much better. It's either sign Joe, be a 6th-8th seed, or rebuild. (I.E. Trade Josh or Horf for a superstar or a number 1 pick).

I'd rather do a sign and trade with Joe before trading both Josh and Al

Signing a 30 year old SG to a six year max deal is scary, but the rest of our options are not much better. It's either sign Joe, be a 6th-8th seed, or rebuild. (I.E. Trade Josh or Horf for a superstar or a number 1 pick).

What's really scary, is that the main teams talking about acquiring JJ, are Eastern Conference squads . . . squads that are currently below the Hawks.

If Chicago gets a hold of him, you're now talking about the Bulls not only having one of the biggest backcourts in the NBA, they may be the best backcourt in the NBA as early as next year.

New York already has their eyes on him, as part of their quest to acquire 2 of the top 5 or 6 free agents this summer.

And if either Cleveland or Miami happen to lose their superstar, those teams are going to be looking to the available free agents to replace that superstar.

And if JJ hooks up with either Lebron or Wade, God help us all.

We need as much firepower as possible to counteract what some of these teams may look like going into next year. Worrying about how JJ will look in years 5 and 6 of this deal, should not deter ANY GM from not signing this dude long term.

We may only have a 3 - 4 year "window of opportunity" to even be in position to win a NBA Title. So our talent level needs to be as high as possible in these next 3 to 4 years.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He's not 30. I also don't think he is going to resign here. I think we'll be looking for a trade to try and get us something back in a sign and trade.

He'll be 29 when he signs his next contract. Since he is a restriticted free agent it really isn't up to him whether he stays or leaves... either we decide to match another teams' offer or we don't. It's completely in our hands whether he stays or leaves (unless he demands to leave, which I think is extremely unlikely). Joe wants the money and he will for sure sign the highest offer sheet he can get... If he gets offered the max we will be put in a very tough situation (It may signal the end of Horford as a Hawk in 2012). Our other options though are just as risky. We will all just have to wait and see how things develop. Maybe he doesn't even get a max contract offer and all these points or moot.

He'll be 29 when he signs his next contract. Since he is a restriticted free agent it really isn't up to him whether he stays or leaves... either we decide to match another teams' offer or we don't. It's completely in our hands whether he stays or leaves (unless he demands to leave, which I think is extremely unlikely). Joe wants the money and he will for sure sign the highest offer sheet he can get... If he gets offered the max we will be put in a very tough situation (It may signal the end of Horford as a Hawk in 2012). Our other options though are just as risky. We will all just have to wait and see how things develop. Maybe he doesn't even get a max contract offer and all these points or moot.

Joe is not a restricted free agent, he is free to sign wherever he wants.

• Premium Member

I always find it a bit amusing to go to other team's sites and boards or on neutral sites like realgm.com and see fans of other teams trying to concoct ways to lure Joe Johnson to their team but when you here it seems like the inmates run the asylum and are eager to ditch Joe.

I found other teams' fans to be saying exactly the opposite. People like him, but not at the potential cost. Only the Mavs and Knicks fans aren't worried about cost, and the latter only want him if he's paired with someone better.

• Premium Member

I found other teams' fans to be saying exactly the opposite. People like him, but not at the potential cost. Only the Mavs and Knicks fans aren't worried about cost, and the latter only want him if he's paired with someone better.

Go check out Bulls, Nets and OKC boards and fansites.

What's really scary, is that the main teams talking about acquiring JJ, are Eastern Conference squads . . . squads that are currently below the Hawks.

If Chicago gets a hold of him, you're now talking about the Bulls not only having one of the biggest backcourts in the NBA, they may be the best backcourt in the NBA as early as next year.

New York already has their eyes on him, as part of their quest to acquire 2 of the top 5 or 6 free agents this summer.

And if either Cleveland or Miami happen to lose their superstar, those teams are going to be looking to the available free agents to replace that superstar.

And if JJ hooks up with either Lebron or Wade, God help us all.

We need as much firepower as possible to counteract what some of these teams may look like going into next year. Worrying about how JJ will look in years 5 and 6 of this deal, should not deter ANY GM from not signing this dude long term.

We may only have a 3 - 4 year "window of opportunity" to even be in position to win a NBA Title. So our talent level needs to be as high as possible in these next 3 to 4 years.

That 'window of opportunity' shrinks significantly if JJ walks. Every bit of rebuilding this franchise has done the last five years goes for nothing unless they win the East this season if Sund is left with having to bring Childress back as his 'big move' to replace JJ's numbers.

Again, I've asked the question and haven't gotten an answer from the 'let's get JJ outta here' folks; who's the guy the Hawks are bringing in to replace the 20/5/5?

Go check out Bulls, Nets and OKC boards and fansites.

Wait a minute, do not these teams have huge holes at the 2...

This is the equivalent of the Hawks offering Kenyon Martin the max and Eric Dampier max like money thinking that duo would get us over the top. Hindsight turns out either signing would have been disastrous.

or

Giving Mike James a long term contract thinking he was one of the final pieces.

That 'window of opportunity' shrinks significantly if JJ walks. Every bit of rebuilding this franchise has done the last five years goes for nothing unless they win the East this season if Sund is left with having to bring Childress back as his 'big move' to replace JJ's numbers.

Again, I've asked the question and haven't gotten an answer from the 'let's get JJ outta here' folks; who's the guy the Hawks are bringing in to replace the 20/5/5?

I've asked the same question and can't get and answer either..and those are only his offensive stats...people forget about his defense.

if joe wants more than 16 a year than we need to sign n trade his *ss. but ill ait till after the playoffs.

First the trade deadline is so far gone, meaning he cannot be traded...Second, JJ will have to agree to the sign and trade....Third...please tell me who you want to trade him for bearing in mind that you just signed him +/-16 mil and will have to take back similarly matching salaries, who do you want to replace his offensive and deffensive productions with.....please, please enlighten me.

First the trade deadline is so far gone, meaning he cannot be traded...Second, JJ will have to agree to the sign and trade....Third...please tell me who you want to trade him for bearing in mind that you just signed him +/-16 mil and will have to take back similarly matching salaries, who do you want to replace his offensive and deffensive productions with.....please, please enlighten me.

i was talkin bout in the offseson, 2) if he does perform poorlyt in the post season like he did last year than we should not resign him. 3rd) find someone who can replace him.

i was talkin bout in the offseson, 2) if he does perform poorlyt in the post season like he did last year than we should not resign him. 3rd) find someone who can replace him.

That is stating the obvious about the offseason..if you don't resign him or resign him and then trade him who would you like to see them target...It is so easy to say "find someone who can replace him" what is your suggestion (and I know it's not your job) but who would you pick to replace him?

That is stating the obvious about the offseason..if you don't resign him or resign him and then trade him who would you like to see them target...It is so easy to say "find someone who can replace him" what is your suggestion (and I know it's not your job) but who would you pick to replace him?

hmm prob not a strait up trade

JJ to the knicks for David lee , mcgrady and 1st round draft pick

JJ to the Jazz for Mehmet okur, Kerilinko and a draft pick

Just to the nuggets for JR Smith, Birdman and draft pick

just 2 name a couple(keep in my this is in theory)

Edited by hoodstar

hmm prob not a strait up trade

JJ to the knicks for David lee , mcgrady and 1st round draft pick

JJ to the Jazz for Mehmet okur, Kerilinko and a draft pick

Just to the nuggets for JR Smith, Birdman and draft pick

just 2 name a couple(keep in my this is in theory)

Knicks-And who plays the two guard...you don't know if Mcgrady will ever be the same..where does David Lee play with Al and Josh..Knicks do not have a 1st round pick this year

Jazz- same question as with knicks...you are addressing the front court but you are loosing a key piece of your back court...Jamal Crawford will not be a viable starter...Jazz have Knicks pick which I'm sure they will not part with seeing as how horrible the Knicks are

Nuggs-knucklehead JR..do you want him paired with Bibby in the backcourt...Jamal Crawford should not start either...him and Bibby...talk about liabilty on defense.

At least you gave some solutions unlike some others.

Knicks-And who plays the two guard...you don't know if Mcgrady will ever be the same..where does David Lee play with Al and Josh..Knicks do not have a 1st round pick this year

Jazz- same question as with knicks...you are addressing the front court but you are loosing a key piece of your back court...Jamal Crawford will not be a viable starter...Jazz have Knicks pick which I'm sure they will not part with seeing as how horrible the Knicks are

Nuggs-knucklehead JR..do you want him paired with Bibby in the backcourt...Jamal Crawford should not start either...him and Bibby...talk about liabilty on defense.

At least you gave some solutions unlike some others.

Sund should be fired if he made any of those horrible trades for JJ. Quality > Quantity.

There're only a handful of players in the nba that averages 20+pt 4.5+reb and 4.5+assists... you can't just replace the production with some scrubs and a useless pick that rides the bench whenever Woody is still here.

There's not much solution to JJ other than give him the max and the max years.

• Premium Member

Why would the Knicks trade lee, tmac, and a first when they could just sign JJ outright?

Because the real world is exactly like NBA 2k10. Didn't you get the memo?

Sund should be fired if he made any of those horrible trades for JJ. Quality > Quantity.

There're only a handful of players in the nba that averages 20+pt 4.5+reb and 4.5+assists... you can't just replace the production with some scrubs and a useless pick that rides the bench whenever Woody is still here.

There's not much solution to JJ other than give him the max and the max years.

My thoughts exactly...you don't replace those type of offensive numbers easily and it's also about JJ's defense and how it forces other teams to play us....I cannot think of a player that is available (or one we can realistically get) who will replace what JJ brings to this team.