• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does anyone believe Joe Johnson is better than

HawkWeisErrr

• Premium Member

Joe Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jamal Crawford

Josh Smith>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marvin Williams.

I would say:

Joe Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jamal Crawford

Josh Smith>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marvin Williams.

But yeah, pretty much.

This is comparable to asking who's better . . . Chauncey Billups or J.R. Smith?

If you like flash, J.R. would be the guy people would pick. He literally explodes for huge scoring games, looking like a top 10 player sometimes. And he's one of the best dunkers in the league.

But aybody with any sense will know that Chauncey is the better overall player. The same goes for the JJ vs Crawford argument.

The fact is though, Chauncey will need J.R. to play at a high level, to help Denver make some noise in the playoffs . . . as will JJ need Crawford to play at a high level for the Hawks to make noise in the playoffs.

As for the Smoove vs Marvin comment, that's a statement only a dude looking for attention would make. It's not even worth taking serious, because he doesn't even truly believe that statement himself.

This is comparable to asking who's better . . . Chauncey Billups or J.R. Smith?

If you like flash, J.R. would be the guy people would pick. He literally explodes for huge scoring games, looking like a top 10 player sometimes. And he's one of the best dunkers in the league.

But aybody with any sense will know that Chauncey is the better overall player. The same goes for the JJ vs Crawford argument.

The fact is though, Chauncey will need J.R. to play at a high level, to help Denver make some noise in the playoffs . . . as will JJ need Crawford to play at a high level for the Hawks to make noise in the playoffs.

As for the Smoove vs Marvin comment, that's a statement only a dude looking for attention would make. It's not even worth taking serious, because he doesn't even truly believe that statement himself.

no its not the same thing seriously ........ :cant believe:

Crawford is not better than Joe Johnson but Joe also is not better than Crawford by nearly as much as you or anyone else would like to try and make people believe .

Chauncey has won a title Joe has won nothing but most would agree that JR Smith when on his game is better than Billups just as Crawford when on his is better than Joe the difference is consistency .

Jamal: 31 minutes, 18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assists, 38% from 3, 84% from free, .07 steals shooting 45%.

Joe: 38 minutes, 21 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 36 % from 3, 82% from free, 1 steal shooting 46%.

Joe plays 7 minutes more than Jamal, we all can speculate as to what Jamal would do with those. The numbers seem like a wash, give or take. What does not seem like a wash is what I actually see on the court: Jamal is in another league as far as overall offensive game, approach, and I.Q. Having seen almost every game, I can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise, but hey, different strokes. I hope they both enhance each other's play in the postseason, but in crucial moments, I want Joe deferring.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

no its not the same thing seriously ........ :cant believe:

Crawford is not better than Joe Johnson but Joe also is not better than Crawford by nearly as much as you or anyone else would like to try and make people believe .

Chauncey has won a title Joe has won nothing but most would agree that JR Smith when on his game is better than Billups just as Crawford when on his is better than Joe the difference is consistency .

JR and Crawford have the ability to score more on great nights but it doesn't mean they are better players than JJ and Billups that same night. You're retarded if you think so.

Jamal: 31 minutes, 18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assists, 38% from 3, 84% from free, .07 steals shooting 45%.

Joe: 38 minutes, 21 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 36 % from 3, 82% from free, 1 steal shooting 46%.

Joe plays 7 minutes more than Jamal, we all can speculate as to what Jamal would do with those. The numbers seem like a wash, give or take. What does not seem like a wash is what I actually see on the court: Jamal is in another league as far as overall offensive game, approach, and I.Q. Having seen almost every game, I can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise, but hey, different strokes. I hope they both enhance each other's play in the postseason, but in crucial moments, I want Joe deferring.

Another league offensively?? :laughing5:

Another league offensively? Crawford is a career 41% shooter from the field, 35% from 3.

JJ averages over 50% more assists and rebounds, and there is no comparison defensively.

Marvin is a better all around talent than Smoove.

No, not even but he's good. Back to Joe, he many not be a superstar but he's much better than Crawford as a complete player.

Marvin can shoot, Hawk fans shout NOOOOOO anythime Smoove takes a jumper.

Josh can jump, so can Marvin

Marvins defense is 100% better than Smoove, especially on the outside (see Lebron James)

Marvin is smarter than Smoove

What attribute does Smoove have, that Marvin doesn't?

Marvin is a better shooter but Smoove is a better scorer than Marvin. Their slashing ability is good for their position but I prefer they within the system then do there own thing. Offensively, their close with Marvin having the potential to be a better offensive threat.

Marvin plays better man defense but Smoove badly owns him in every category outside of that.

True but that can only go to a certain degree. Battier is smarter than Derrick Rose but look at the impact.

Most defensive ones to be honest. Smith could go down as one of the greatest defenders in this league's history. Marvin could be known for guarding Lebron well which is a feat itself.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

Hmm. Yeah, you gotta look at what both of these guys have done throughout their careers. Jamal is playing way above what he has done at any point in his career. Even so, he is still not better than Joe. Being the only number 1 type option on the team certainly won't help him improve his level of play from this year, which is already way above anything he has done in his career.

JR and Crawford have the ability to score more on great nights but it doesn't mean they are better players than JJ and Billups that same night. You're retarded if you think so.

No Im not retarded Mrs Johnson just stating the facts . The fact that you are comparing Joe to a Finals MVP shows just how far off you really are . I think last night pretty much straightens that out. You then go on to compare Crawford to a guy who has never started a full nba season before. Again just make up your own reality as you go along here .

• Like 1

Hmm. Yeah, you gotta look at what both of these guys have done throughout their careers. Jamal is playing way above what he has done at any point in his career. Even so, he is still not better than Joe. Being the only number 1 type option on the team certainly won't help him improve his level of play from this year, which is already way above anything he has done in his career.

actually hes not . Who do you hear saying Crawford has never played this well before ? not even the media pundits say things like that they basically say hes doing the same things hes done throughout his career he just now gets to do them for a winning team. We went over this in the summer he has always shown the ability to be efficient when the teams he was on was stable and this is the only team hes been on his career thats been this stable for this long.

Hes not all nba but its amazing how many people think hes somehow doing something he hasnt been doing the past few years . Hes the same player different environment thats all.

actually hes not . Who do you hear saying Crawford has never played this well before ? not even the media pundits say things like that they basically say hes doing the same things hes done throughout his career he just now gets to do them for a winning team. We went over this in the summer he has always shown the ability to be efficient when the teams he was on was stable and this is the only team hes been on his career thats been this stable for this long.

Hes not all nba but its amazing how many people think hes somehow doing something he hasnt been doing the past few years . Hes the same player different environment thats all.

Crank . . just about everybody in the national media considered Jamal Crawford to have the WORST SHOT SELECTION IN THE LEAGUE. That was universally known, before he came to Atlanta. That's also the reason why none in the national media thought we could even remotely challenge what was then the Big 3 in the Eastern Conference, when we acquired Crawford. With us, he doesn't have to play a JJ role, in which he's trying to create every single shot for himself, plus create shots for everybody else, and be the go-to guy on a nightly basis.

Not counting the 2001 - 02 season in which he only played in 23 games ( and had statistically his best offensive season shooting wise ) . . he's shooting a career high FG% at 44.8%. His next highest FG% for a season is 41.6% His career average is 40.9% FG. That's pretty significant.

Same goes for his 3 point %. He's currently shooting 38.1% from 3 . . . 3 percentage points higher than his career average of 35.1%

Per 36 minutes, he's scoring 20.7 points a game . . . a career high.

His total shot % of 57% is a career high . . . and almost 5 points higher than his career average.

His PER of 18.2 is a career high . . . almost a full 3 points higher than his career average of 15.4

He's not the same player. He's much more efficient here, than he ever has been anywhere else. The fact that all he really has to concentrate on, is being the instant offense scorer, has helped his game tremendously.

Actually, Crawford is probably comparable to Jason Terry. When JT was with us, he had to be the scorer plus be the point guard. It's not a coincidence that as soon as JT went to a better team ( Dallas ) . . and had his role reduced as a player ( instant offense scorer off the bench ) . . . he became a much more efficient ballplayer.

People will never do it, but Woody deserves a little credit for the success of Crawford. He basically tells Crawford to not worry about being a playmaker on this squad ( like he had to do on past teams ). All Woody tells him to do is score . . and improve his defense. And he's done both things this year. He quickly defined Crawford's role on this team from the beginning, and it has helped the dude have his best season ever.

Edited by northcyde

I don't.

In fact I believe Marvin could average 20 if more plays were ran for him.

Crawford, Bibby, Horford, Williams, and Smith should be our lineup next season. We have a pretty good bench already but improving it would be key with Crawford in the starting lineup would be key.

Things are looking good for next year.

Frustration with Joe's play against Cleveland aside... How many playoff appearances has Jamal led a team to? Remember that the team was winning games before he came on board.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Crank . . just about everybody in the national media considered Jamal Crawford to have the WORST SHOT SELECTION IN THE LEAGUE. That was universally known, before he came to Atlanta. That's also the reason why none in the national media thought we could even remotely challenge what was then the Big 3 in the Eastern Conference, when we acquired Crawford. With us, he doesn't have to play a JJ role, in which he's trying to create every single shot for himself, plus create shots for everybody else, and be the go-to guy on a nightly basis.

Not counting the 2001 - 02 season in which he only played in 23 games ( and had statistically his best offensive season shooting wise ) . . he's shooting a career high FG% at 44.8%. His next highest FG% for a season is 41.6% His career average is 40.9% FG. That's pretty significant.

Same goes for his 3 point %. He's currently shooting 38.1% from 3 . . . 3 percentage points higher than his career average of 35.1%

Per 36 minutes, he's scoring 20.7 points a game . . . a career high.

His total shot % of 57% is a career high . . . and almost 5 points higher than his career average.

His PER of 18.2 is a career high . . . almost a full 3 points higher than his career average of 15.4

He's not the same player. He's much more efficient here, than he ever has been anywhere else. The fact that all he really has to concentrate on, is being the instant offense scorer, has helped his game tremendously.

Actually, Crawford is probably comparable to Jason Terry. When JT was with us, he had to be the scorer plus be the point guard. It's not a coincidence that as soon as JT went to a better team ( Dallas ) . . and had his role reduced as a player ( instant offense scorer off the bench ) . . . he became a much more efficient ballplayer.

People will never do it, but Woody deserves a little credit for the success of Crawford. He basically tells Crawford to not worry about being a playmaker on this squad ( like he had to do on past teams ). All Woody tells him to do is score . . and improve his defense. And he's done both things this year. He quickly defined Crawford's role on this team from the beginning, and it has helped the dude have his best season ever.

Actually thats not true . The stat gee\ks like Hollinger have always dissed Crawford but the actual analysts all respected Crawfords game . On national games how many times have you heard Hubie knock Crawfords shot selection what about Collins when were on tnt ? I have the benefit of having league pass so I get to listen to a ton of opposing team broadcast outside of Bostons crew who knock everyone. You never hear anyone talk about Crawfords shot selection it all comes from the stats not from his teammates or coaches .who are what really mattered .

You made similar claims over the summer and both Diesel and myself told you exactly how it would play out and it has played out exactly how we said it would.

Hes never played on a T.E.A.M before so again trying to use numbers from 5-6 years ago to claim we saw the best of what he could crazy . This is the first time in his career that hes been on a team thats trying to win and has been using the same philosophy and single minded approach from day one until now .

He was in a unique situation just as Joe has been in one that was created by the organization .We basically kept the same core players and allowed them to grow together while Crawford was in the opposite situation .

Weve been over this all before and here we are after all the summer predictions have been proven wrong and you are falling back upon the same argument. Everytime Crawford saw any hint of stability throughout his career we saw glimpses of what type of player he could be . Once he finally arrived in a situation with some stability he has flourished.

Crawford without JJ

Pistons 29 pts 6 ast 2 bds 55% fg 66% 3fg

@Raptors 33 pts 2 ast 2 bds 56% fg 37% 3fg

@Nets 25pts 2 ast 3 bds 61% fg 66% 3fg

again JJ helps him but you are making way too much of this previous fg%

Crawford numbers for the knicks prior to his trade to the Warriors

19 pts 4 ast 43% 44% 3fg

this was starting under D'antoni

You severely underestimate the impact that stability and the lack of stability have had on the careers of Joe and Crawford .

Actually thats not true . The stat gee\ks like Hollinger have always dissed Crawford but the actual analysts all respected Crawfords game . On national games how many times have you heard Hubie knock Crawfords shot selection what about Collins when were on tnt ? I have the benefit of having league pass so I get to listen to a ton of opposing team broadcast outside of Bostons crew who knock everyone. You never hear anyone talk about Crawfords shot selection it all comes from the stats not from his teammates or coaches .who are what really mattered .

You made similar claims over the summer and both Diesel and myself told you exactly how it would play out and it has played out exactly how we said it would.

Hes never played on a T.E.A.M before so again trying to use numbers from 5-6 years ago to claim we saw the best of what he could crazy . This is the first time in his career that hes been on a team thats trying to win and has been using the same philosophy and single minded approach from day one until now .

He was in a unique situation just as Joe has been in one that was created by the organization .We basically kept the same core players and allowed them to grow together while Crawford was in the opposite situation .

Weve been over this all before and here we are after all the summer predictions have been proven wrong and you are falling back upon the same argument. Everytime Crawford saw any hint of stability throughout his career we saw glimpses of what type of player he could be . Once he finally arrived in a situation with some stability he has flourished.

Crawford without JJ

Pistons 29 pts 6 ast 2 bds 55% fg 66% 3fg

@Raptors 33 pts 2 ast 2 bds 56% fg 37% 3fg

@Nets 25pts 2 ast 3 bds 61% fg 66% 3fg

again JJ helps him but you are making way too much of this previous fg%

Crawford numbers for the knicks prior to his trade to the Warriors

19 pts 4 ast 43% 44% 3fg

this was starting under D'antoni

You severely underestimate the impact that stability and the lack of stability have had on the careers of Joe and Crawford .

I knew when I saw your name reply to this thread, that you still wouldn't believe anybody. So all I'm going to do, is go to Google, and type in "Jamal Crawford shot selection", and see what I come up with. I'll just let you read the links, and see what they tell you about him over the years.

Hoopshype profile description:

http://hoopshype.com/players/jamal_crawford.htm

An epic 17 page thread with Knick fans in a heated debate over Crawford. Guess what the discussion is about. You see the good and the bad.

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4368

Article praising him for being the Player of the Week while with the Knicks. The last paragraph says what Isaiah and the Knicks think about his shot selection

http://www.ringsurf.com/online/1740-jamal_crawford.html

One of our other fan blog sites Peachtreehoops.com . . .talking about this very issue

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2009/10/1/1063438/jamal-crawford-where-memory-is

Dime magazine article on Jamal Crawford back in September, saying that he could be 6th man of the year ( which was spot on) . . . .the replies to the article are split, mainly due to his reputation as a gunner that takes questionable shots

http://dimemag.com/2009/09/jamal-crawford-will-be-sixth-man-of-the-year/

csncalifornia.com article about Marco Belinelli, and how he and Jamal Crawford could possibly co-exist in Golden St .. despite Crawford's bad shot selection.

http://www.csncalifornia.com/03/13/09/Next-up-for-Belinelli-at-point-Better-sh/landing_blogs.html?blockID=44470&feedID=2484&qv=1

short article talking about the ATL - GS trade for Crawford, and how Crawford has possibly "the worst shot selection in the entire NBA".

http://www.examiner.com/x-1192-NBA-Examiner~y2009m6d24-Warriors-to-trade-Jamal-Crawford-to-Hawks

So I guess all of these writers and fans are making things up about the dude?

Crawford has had his best year while with the Hawks. He gets a pass with most Hawk fans, because of that. And because most of the heat falls on JJ's shoulders ( despite him having his best season in 3 years ).

So if you don't want to believe his reputation wasn't that of a guy who had horrible shot selection ( but could ball ), then I don't know what to tell you.

And just remember. My responses to you aren't based on if Crawford can ball or not . . or if he's playing better because he's on a good team. My replies are based on what you said initially in this thread

From you:

actually hes not Who do you hear saying Crawford has never played this well before ? not even the media pundits say things like that they basically say hes doing the same things hes done throughout his career he just now gets to do them for a winning team. .We went over this in the summer he has always shown the ability to be efficient when the teams he was on was stable and this is the only team hes been on his career thats been this stable for this long.

This is easily his best year as a pro. His past was that of a guy who could ball, but would take horrible shots. He's done far less of that here, even though he still does do it sometimes. The improved shot selection, combined with playing with an All-Star guard like JJ that commands the full attention of the opponent, has enabled Crawford to get better looks at the basket. And more important, enabled him to play one on one, instead of against a double team.

Don't get it twisted. I am more than happy that my concerns about Crawford didn't come true. Woody had sense enough to reduce Crawford's offensive responsibilities to have him concentrate on simply scoring the basketball.

Edited by northcyde

I knew when I saw your name reply to this thread, that you still wouldn't believe anybody. So all I'm going to do, is go to Google, and type in "Jamal Crawford shot selection", and see what I come up with. I'll just let you read the links, and see what they tell you about him over the years.

Hoopshype profile description:

http://hoopshype.com/players/jamal_crawford.htm

An epic 17 page thread with Knick fans in a heated debate over Crawford. Guess what the discussion is about. You see the good and the bad.

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4368

Article praising him for being the Player of the Week while with the Knicks. The last paragraph says what Isaiah and the Knicks think about his shot selection

http://www.ringsurf.com/online/1740-jamal_crawford.html

One of our other fan blog sites Peachtreehoops.com . . .talking about this very issue

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2009/10/1/1063438/jamal-crawford-where-memory-is

Dime magazine article on Jamal Crawford back in September, saying that he could be 6th man of the year ( which was spot on) . . . .the replies to the article are split, mainly due to his reputation as a gunner that takes questionable shots

http://dimemag.com/2009/09/jamal-crawford-will-be-sixth-man-of-the-year/

csncalifornia.com article about Marco Belinelli, and how he and Jamal Crawford could possibly co-exist in Golden St .. despite Crawford's bad shot selection.

http://www.csncalifornia.com/03/13/09/Next-up-for-Belinelli-at-point-Better-sh/landing_blogs.html?blockID=44470&feedID=2484&qv=1

short article talking about the ATL - GS trade for Crawford, and how Crawford has possibly "the worst shot selection in the entire NBA".

http://www.examiner.com/x-1192-NBA-Examiner~y2009m6d24-Warriors-to-trade-Jamal-Crawford-to-Hawks

So I guess all of these writers and fans are making things up about the dude?

Crawford has had his best year while with the Hawks. He gets a pass with most Hawk fans, because of that. And because most of the heat falls on JJ's shoulders ( despite him having his best season in 3 years ).

So if you don't want to believe his reputation wasn't that of a guy who had horrible shot selection ( but could ball ), then I don't know what to tell you.

just about everybody in the national media considered Jamal Crawford to have the WORST SHOT SELECTION IN THE LEAGUE.

thats what you said now you are posting fan blogs and places like hoopshype . Since when did they equal the national media ?

In one of those links the guy says Crawford is a selfish player who will only ruin chemistry .....nuff said

As for the matt Steinmentz that link was from one game after Crawford put up 50 . but this is what he said this summer

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/21/summing-up-some-offseason-moves/

Most underrated offseason move: Hawks acquire Jamal Crawford in trade with Warriors.

We all know Crawford isn't a perfect player. He's not great defensively and he can be a volume shooter at times. But he gives the Hawks some legitimate firepower, not to mention a guy who can go out and get you a good shot on his own late in a game.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/Steinmetz_Can_Warriors_kick_selfish_habits.html

that is from the week before the article you posted

As I said before you have taken a popular fan opinion and made it into something bigger . His teammates all respect and love the guy.You cant find one link to a coach saying anything about his shot selection . Now if you look up George Karl and Jr smith Im sure you can find plenty of quotes where says something about those 27 ft threes JR is known for taking at the craziest times .

I dont use fans opinions or blogs to formulate my opinion on a player I try and gather as much from his actual teammates and coaches because they will give you the best insight into what he id doing and why.

Ive said since the summer that Crawford shoots too many threes for my liking . I would rather he get into lane and go the line like wade but thats just not being very realistic because he doesnt have the frame or the leagues backing to pull it off. But then like today I go to check out the numbers and the guy shot 41% from three last month so who am I to second guess ?

If a coach feels a guy needs to shoot to give his team its best chance to win then thats what they will do, its what PP did in Boston before they got KG and Ray-Ray .

And just remember. My responses to you aren't based on if Crawford can ball or not . . or if he's playing better because he's on a good team. My replies are based on what you said initially in this thread

From you:

actually hes not Who do you hear saying Crawford has never played this well before ? not even the media pundits say things like that they basically say hes doing the same things hes done throughout his career he just now gets to do them for a winning team. .We went over this in the summer he has always shown the ability to be efficient when the teams he was on was stable and this is the only team hes been on his career thats been this stable for this long.

This is easily his best year as a pro. His past was that of a guy who could ball, but would take horrible shots. He's done far less of that here, even though he still does do it sometimes. The improved shot selection, combined with playing with an All-Star guard like JJ that commands the full attention of the opponent, has enabled Crawford to get better looks at the basket. And more important, enabled him to play one on one, instead of against a double team.

Don't get it twisted. I am more than happy that my concerns about Crawford didn't come true. Woody had sense enough to reduce Crawford's offensive responsibilities to have him concentrate on simply scoring the basketball.

every scorer takes bad shots . Did you see Kobe today ? What you have to establish is that most fans interpretation of a bad shot is one in which they cant make themselves .

As for JJ opening up the floor Im sorry but its the other way around the addition of Crawford, the improved offense of Smoove and AL has opened up the floor for JJ and hes under performing . When Crawford comes in the game he doesnt have the ball usually but instead just assumes Bibbys role .Its not until JJ sits that Crawford is really turned loose . Hes doing most of his damage with bench guys .

• Premium Member

Pretty much every single statistical measure of offensive efficiency indicates you are wrong Crawford's stats[

This is easily the most efficient basketball he has ever played in his life... by quite a big margin too. He's not the only guy on the planet to have a fantastic season after an entire career of mediocrity. Turkoglu is one example of a guy who played out of his mind one year (at age 28... Crawford is 29) and then went back to being exactly the same player he has always been. History shows time, and time again that guys who all of a sudden have a "break out" season at age 28+ usually end up going back down to earth HARD in following seasons. Flip Murray last year is another example. Regardless your point is moot as far as the current discussion is concerned because if Joe leaves and Craw is our #1 guy than he will be playing for the same type of offense that he had been playing for during his entire career (the one in which he has averaged under 41% shooting). The best chance we have of Jamal continuing to play the way he has played is to keep him in the same role, I'll agree with that much completely. Even so, to count on Jamal to keep up this level of play is probably unrealistic. To assume he will somehow get even better is much more unlikely as there are literally no players in NBA history who after 10 years of average basketball suddenly at 30 become NBA superstars.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1