• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Roger Goodell must reap what he has sewn!

Wurider05

It appears that Roger Goodell's attempt at playing god may come to bite him in the *ss. In the past he has suspended players who were not convicted of any crimes. Most of the guys were knuckleheads but again they were not convicted of any crimes. He has to follow suit with Big Ben based off his own actions from the past. If lets him slide then it looks like a double standard on two levels: race and star power. I personally don't think that Big Ben should be suspended but Goodell has created an situation where he almost has to to save face. Anyone can be accused/arrested of anything and maybe in the future Goodell may allow people to have their day in court before he tries to punish them. He set a foul precedent that he can't back out of now!!!

Edited by Wurider05

• Moderators

Which are the cases that people here think are binding precedent indicating that he has to suspend? He suspended Vick after a string of behavior and the filing of federal charges and he suspended a certain Titan CB who had a string of charges for violent crimes. He has not suspended a number of others who have dealt with lesser charges. The cases I can recall aren't comparable in terms of the alleged conduct but I may well have forgotten a similar case.

On the issue of practical results, I doubt we see a suspension here. I think Ben will be read the riot act and the commish will be ready to pounce if there is another incident like this whether it results in charges or not.

• Moderators

Which are the cases that people here think are binding precedent indicating that he has to suspend?

How is that remotely similar?

Lynch was suspended after pleading guilty in March to a misdemeanor gun charge in Culver City, Calif. He was sentenced to 80 hours of community service and three years probation. He was sentenced to 80 hours of community service and three years probation. He was arrested on Feb. 11 after police searched a parked car the player was in and found a 9mm semiautomatic handgun inside a backpack in the trunk. Police also found four marijuana cigarettes in the car, but no drug charges were filed.

It was Lynch's second run-in with the law following a hit-and run-accident in Buffalo in May 2008. A month later, he pleaded guilty to a traffic violation and admitted to driving off after striking a female pedestrian with his car near Buffalo's downtown bar district.

Lynch was twice convicted of crimes before he was suspended - including weapon charges and striking a female pedestrian with his car. He also had drugs in his car.

These situations are just not even close.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

My point is that he maybe be totally innocent. Being accused doesn't make anyone guilty despite of their past.

The issue under the CBA is not whether they are guilty (i.e., proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have committed every element) of a crime but whether they violated the personal conduct policy. If they didn't do anything to do that, they can appeal and will likely prevail. If they are OJ Simpson and are not convicted of anything, they may still have done something that violates the policy in the reasonable belief of the Commish whose judgment doesn't have to be beyond a reasonable doubt that the person met the technical elements of a crime.

How is that remotely similar?

Lynch was twice convicted of crimes before he was suspended - including weapon charges and striking a female pedestrian with his car. He also had drugs in his car.

These situations are just not even close.

It's not a carbon copy example no. But, it is in the sense that those were all misdemeanors. Ben has been investigated for two felonies. And lets not forget his motorcycle incident in which he was cited.

And lets not forget his motorcycle incident in which he was cited.

All he did there was ride without a helmet.

Your really reaching with that one.

I know one thing.......as much as I like Coach Tomlin ,Hines Ward, and respect the way Ward plays the game, I will not be rooting for the Steelers as long as Big Ben is there.

Edited by coachx

All he did there was ride without a helmet.

Your really reaching with that one.

I know one thing.......as much as I like Coach Tomlin ,Hines Ward, and respect the way Ward plays the game, I will not be rooting for the Steelers as long as Big Ben is there.

On June 19, the Pittsburgh police announced that Roethlisberger would be cited for failure to wear a helmet and failure to operate in his license class.

• Moderators

On June 19, the Pittsburgh police announced that Roethlisberger would be cited for failure to wear a helmet and failure to operate in his license class.

Which is similar to being convicted for possession of illegal fire arms and running over a pedestrian?

Apples to oranges there.

I can't think of a similar case to Ben's but am hoping someone else can.

Which is similar to being convicted for possession of illegal fire arms and running over a pedestrian?

Apples to oranges there.

I can't think of a similar case to Ben's but am hoping someone else can.

[30] After the 27 day saga, on June 26, 2008, Lynch apologized and accepted a guilty plea to a single count of failure to exercise due care to avoid striking a pedestrian, a traffic violation. He was assessed a $100 fine, and his driver’s license and car registration were revoked. Because a Buffalo police officer gave testimony that Shpeley did not suffer "severe physical injury," Lynch avoided criminal charges for the incident.[31]. Lynch was later sued by Shpeley on December 28, 2009 for negligence.[32] Shpeley's first lawyer, who many Buffalo residents may recognize from television ads, refused to represent her, presumably because he didn't see potential to win the case.

Three days after his 2009 Pro Bowl appearance, Lynch was arrested on February 11 in Culver City, California. Lynch and two companions were sitting in a running 2006 Mercedes-Benz when police approached; after smelling marijuana, the police searched the car and discovered a loaded gun that was determined to belong to Lynch. He was released the same day after posting $35,000 bail.[33] Lynch's felony charge was reduced to three misdemeanors, and no drug charges were filed.[34] On March 5, Lynch pled guilty to a single misdemeanor gun charge and was sentenced to three years of probation, and 80 hours of community service. He also agreed to submit to police searches at any time. The two other misdemeanor gun charges were dismissed.[35]

]

Again, don't see how that's remotely similar to Big Ben's case.

I can't think of a situation similar to Ben's. Keep in mind, he hasn't even been charged of a crime.

That's the difference.

He has made a real horse's backside of himself but he hasn't been charged of any criminal conduct in any of these scenarios.

Edited by jhay610

• Moderators

Again, don't see how that's remotely similar to Big Ben's case.

I can't think of a situation similar to Ben's. Keep in mind, he hasn't even been charged of a crime.

That's the difference.

He has made a real horse's backside of himself but he hasn't been charged of any criminal conduct in any of these scenarios.

Exactly. This doesn't mean the NFL couldn't try to do something but it would be crossing a new line as far as managing off-the-field conduct of players.

• Moderators

"DTF" t-shirt is pretty dumb.

Name tag, not t-shirt, but no arguments here. It doesn't strike me as being that out of line for a joke some sorority girls would do on a night on the town, though. The bodyguard angle (blocking access, denying, etc.) makes this a lot worse than just a he said/she said. When you have a more sober person saying, "our friend is too drunk to be back there, let us get to her" and the guard is blocking access and then the woman says she was raped that doesn't look good at all.