Lose tonight to get 23rd pick, Win gets us as low as 26th pick

jerrywest

• Moderators

For anyone who thinks there is no benefit in losing and no meaningless games let me introduce you to your hero: Bob Sura.

Let me introduce you to your model team: the Indiana "we were in position for a top 5 draft pick and potential franchise player but played hard down the stretch so now we will likely pick at #10" Pacers.

Meaningful games are ones that influence your playoff positioning or set a tone for the playoffs. Last night's game was neither.

It isn't the end of the world, but I don't understand why people would want to do something other than maximize your chances to compete in the playoffs this year and in future years. Last night's game did nothing to improve our chances in the playoffs this year while it impaired our chances for next year.

At least we aren't talking about the lottery and we still have meaningful games to play.

• Moderators

The Hawks rested their best players. What else could they do, forfeit?

It isn't like the Hawks draft record is that stellar anyway.

I don't terribly mind it - just given the choice I don't see why anyone would want to have won this game.

I don't terribly mind it - just given the choice I don't see why anyone would want to have won this game.

Because if they would've lost, it'll simply caused a little more fan apathy toward the Hawks ( even though it was a meaningless game position wise ). At least now, the fans go into the playoffs on a positive note, and they got to see a great performance from Teague. Him putting on a show like that, was probably the best case scenario for the Hawks last night. The only thing that would've been better, would've been for Marvin to score 40 points or something.

Regardless pick 23 or 25 Sund needs to move up alittle more to be position to get a very solid player. I'm eyeing Daniel Orton and Solomon Alabi. This draft is the equivalent to last year except you insert an infusion of quality PF and C prospects instead of all the guard talent..

Edited by Kimsey

Regardless pick 23 or 25 Sund needs to move up alittle more to be position to get a very solid player. I'm eyeing Daniel Orton and Solomon Alabi. This draft is the equivalent to last year except you insert an infusion of quality PF and C prospects instead of all the guard talent..

What about the guy from GT Gani Lawal? I haven't seen him play but he is suppose to be a good rebounder, brusier type with limited offensive game.

I don't want Daniel Orton. To me this is getting too caught up in size and not worrying enough about production. Just because he looks like she can play doesn't mean we have a lot of evidence that he actually can play. He barely played his senior year of HS due to injury. He averaged 3 points and 3 rebounds this year. He was a mediocre rebounder in the minutes he did play. He shoots just 53% from the line. I would much rather someone else use their pick on him.

Edited by spotatl

• Premium Member

The appeal of guys like Orton or Alabi is that they might fall to the 25th pick. If that doesn't happen, I have no interest in trading up. (See Armstrong, Hilton).

My current list (in no order):

James Anderson

Quincy Pondexter

Damion Jones

Paul George (too young?)

What about the guy from GT Gani Lawal? I haven't seen him play but he is suppose to be a good rebounder, brusier type with limited offensive game.

huge Huge HUGE Yellow Jacket bb fan but Lawal doesn't have it imo. He's probably going to come in at 6-8 and his free throw shooting is worst than Smoove's. His defense is not to standard as well. His ceiling is Leon Powe but we can do better with all the depth at his position in the draft.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I the whole "rest" thing is overrated. I guess Stan Van Gundy didn't get the memo that you stop trying to win once your playoff fate is decided. He played his guys on the last night and *suprise* no one was injured. I hope I never live to see the day of the Hawks TRYING to lose a game as Miami was yesterday.

If Miami was trying to lose to the Nets it would be because they wanted to play the Hawks instead of the Celtics. I sure hope that they weren''t trying to lose.

And I think that after an 82 game marathon that giving guys several days off in a row does help a ton. I think its ridiculous to treat an exhibition game the same as you would if the playoffs were on the line. That might as well have been a preseason game- there is no reason to treat it the same as you would a game that actually counts for something.

Edited by spotatl

• Moderators

I think its ridiculous to treat an exhibition game the same as you would if the playoffs were on the line. That might as well have been a preseason game- there is no reason to treat it the same as you would a game that actually counts for something.

No arguments here.

Draft Jordan Crawford especially if Joe bolts. We can have JCraw and JCraw jr. He can score from anywhere. He is from the X ( I really hope he goes back for one more season ) . He has a cool nba 1st name. He made Lebron look like a girl. All good reasons if you ask me.

If Miami was trying to lose to the Nets it would be because they wanted to play the Hawks instead of the Celtics. I sure hope that they weren''t trying to lose.

It was ridiculously obvious that Miami Heat were trying to lose. They kept giving Nets chance after chance by shooting outside jumpers when the lane was open. Nets played so bad that I am shocked this team won 12 games. Miami even sent their 15th men to shoot his first three point shot of the season. Unfortunately for them it went in. You should have seen the Heat bench reaction throughout the end of the fourth q and the 2 overtimes.

It was by far the worst NBA game I have ever watched. Kiki should resign in shame.