• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

This Coaching thing...

DJlaysitup

Woody's coaching is really getting on my nerves. Is it that coaches cannot control multi-millionaires - what with all their outside interests (agents) ???

Is it simply impossible for an NBA coach to implement an offensive strategy? Maybe that's the case and we should be happy with Woody's "no O, all D" approach.

If this is the case I am fixing to turn off the NBA in general. I grew up in S.Ill. (just across the river from Indiana) and we always valued basketball. If it's just gonna be - who's the biggest best swooping dunker - I'm ready to quit. I'm getting sick and tired of it. Since I live in Atlanta I have to say this: this isn't a racial thing. I watched the Chicago Thornton team whoop up on the Quincy Catholic boys - Thornton's center was 6'2" and QCB went 6-6, 6-7, 6-9 and the center was a black kid who got a scholarship to Wichita State (a good B-Ball school in those days). Thornton had a great coach who had a system and it wasn't a close game.

Can we have a little bit of effective coaching in the NBA? Please? kickcan.gif

• Premium Member

Woody's coaching is really getting on my nerves. Is it that coaches cannot control multi-millionaires - what with all their outside interests (agents) ???

Is it simply impossible for an NBA coach to implement an offensive strategy? Maybe that's the case and we should be happy with Woody's "no O, all D" approach.

If this is the case I am fixing to turn off the NBA in general. I grew up in S.Ill. (just across the river from Indiana) and we always valued basketball. If it's just gonna be - who's the biggest best swooping dunker - I'm ready to quit. I'm getting sick and tired of it. Since I live in Atlanta I have to say this: this isn't a racial thing. I watched the Chicago Thornton team whoop up on the Quincy Catholic boys - Thornton's center was 6'2" and QCB went 6-6, 6-7, 6-9 and the center was a black kid who got a scholarship to Wichita State (a good B-Ball school in those days). Thornton had a great coach who had a system and it wasn't a close game.

Can we have a little bit of effective coaching in the NBA? Please? kickcan.gif

Things change DJ. In the early days of basketball guys just shot set shots. Now I'm sure some of the old timers miss those days but can anyone honestly say the basketball was better?

I kinda feel sorry for guys like DJ and the others that have constantly complained about this team all year. This is our best season in 12 years. Our highest playoff seeding in about 16 years. 2 All-Star players. A future 6 man of the Year award winner. A team that is easily a top 10 . . possibly a top 7 squad in the NBA.

But he finds something negative to complain about . . . I don't know what to say. I just feel sorry for fans like these.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, they really missed out on one of the most enjoyable and entertaining Hawk seasons ever.

- 4 memorable buzzer beaters ( including 2 dunk buzzer beaters . . which is unheard of )

- the dismantling of the Boston Celtics

- the 11 - 2 start, which got us off and running

- beating Orlando, San Antonio, and the LA Lakers at home ( and all within a 10 day period )

- posting a stellar 21 - 9 record vs the Western Conference

- posting a winning record vs .500 teams in God knows how long

- 33 home wins ( shooting for 34 tonight ) . . if they win tonight, I believe that will be the 2nd or 3rd most home wins in franchise history . . and a win tonight will tie the 2-year home record of 65 wins, set back from 1986 - 88

I just feel kind of sorry for you guys that you refused to let yourselves enjoy this season. Always letting the negative points of the team or the bad losses, take away from your joy. But overall, these guys put a smile on our faces far more than they made you frown.

AND IT AIN'T OVER FOLKS!!!

• Like 2

I disagree. Many of us are aware AND have called attention to our weaknesses. It's just that some people get pissed off when they have something negative to say about the team. The fact is, just because we have won 52 games doesn't mean that Woodson is a good coach, or that our team is elite, or that the team isn't worthy of critique. Sure, some fans take it overboard, but many of us, like myself, are not afraid to eschew the rose-colored glasses and call out the team for its weaknesses and poor play...while also praising the team for its good play and periodic displays of 48 mins of effort.

Deep down inside, even the most ardent and fastidious of critics have enjoyed this Hawks season.

I disagree. Many of us are aware AND have called attention to our weaknesses. It's just that some people get pissed off when they have something negative to say about the team. The fact is, just because we have won 52 games doesn't mean that Woodson is a good coach, or that our team is elite, or that the team isn't worthy of critique. Sure, some fans take it overboard, but many of us, like myself, are not afraid to eschew the rose-colored glasses and call out the team for its weaknesses and poor play...while also praising the team for its good play and periodic displays of 48 mins of effort.

Deep down inside, even the most ardent and fastidious of critics have enjoyed this Hawks season.

I hope you're right, but I doubt that.

The criticisms are flying left and right after every loss and "not so pretty win" . . like the Hawks are supposed to play perfect basketball 82 nights a year.

But after a nice win, you could hear a tumbleweed roll past. Not see . . but HEAR.

All I know is that people can count on maybe 1 hand the amount of previous Hawks teams that were better than this one. And the past DOES MATTER. When you have a team in which even getting to the playoffs is a major hurdle, a playoff team with 50+ wins deserves a little more respect.

And so does the man that's coaching that team. The coach didn't do all of this by himself . . and neither did the players.

It is what it is though.