• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Brandon Jennings call us "cocky"

Sothron

• Premium Member

"Brandon Jennings thinks the Hawks went into Game 3 on Saturday expecting to blow out the Bucks.

Instead, Milwaukee thumped Atlanta 107-89 at the Bradley Center to avoid falling into an 0-3 hole heading into Game 4 on Monday.

"I felt like they were a little bit cocky," the rookie point guard said Sunday.

"They came in like, 'OK, it's Milwaukee, we're up 2-0.' I mean, that's just how I felt. I felt like they thought they were just going to come in and just blow us out. I think with the crowd, and the way we came out, it just changed everything."

Hawks guard Jamal Crawford admitted that they underestimated how fueled the Bucks would be by their home crowd.

Milwaukee took a 36-19 lead in the first quarter.

"Yeah — not THAT hot," Crawford said. "That's tough to prepare for. You know they're going to come out and play their best game. Their backs were against the wall. They lose that game, they're down 3-0."

So the Bucks thought we came in cocky and according to Crawford we did underestimate them. This despite all the talk about NOT doing that and trying to set a tone early in game three. Who gets the blame more, coaches for not stressing enough to take them seriously or the players for not taking someone seriously in the freakin' playoffs?

• Moderators

Both. It is the coach's job to have them focused and disciplined and it is the player's personal responsibility to be ready to go come tipoff. Neither coaches nor players succeeded. Hopefully everyone's undivided attention is focused on the here and now of Game 4.

How can you UNDERESTIMATE a team playing their first home playoff game in forever???

Woody should have had them prepared for this. How many times do we as fans have to witbness these letdowns and lapses?

I hope Sund is watching and observing all this before he decides what to do about Woody. You CAN"T keep judging a coach by only the

fact that his regular season record keeps improving. You have to look at these things.

• Premium Member

Y'know, how many times do we have to say it...focus and intensity. Over and over and over and over again. When we're home, we got it. On the road...it's a tossup. If these guys play with focus and intensity, and they MOVE THE BALL, they can beat anybody. Otherwise, it ends up like this and it doesn't matter who we play - the best in the league or the worst.

The fault here is on the entire team. At the same time though, it is one person's job to prepare the ENTIRE TEAM for this sort of situation. All too many times, I have seen us come out completely unprepared. Woody is an OK coach, but he has GOT TO work on getting guys prepared for games like this. It's an adjustment just like any other.

• Premium Member

How can you UNDERESTIMATE a team playing their first home playoff game in forever???

Woody should have had them prepared for this. How many times do we as fans have to witbness these letdowns and lapses?

I hope Sund is watching and observing all this before he decides what to do about Woody. You CAN"T keep judging a coach by only the

fact that his regular season record keeps improving. You have to look at these things.

other than the obvious, how do we know Woody didn't have these guys prepared? Woody can't control the piss-poor work ethic of a grown man that's being paid millions to play a game.

• Moderators

other than the obvious, how do we know Woody didn't have these guys prepared? Woody can't control the piss-poor work ethic of a grown man that's being paid millions to play a game.

Look back 3 years and ask how many road games the team has been ready to play. There is a pattern here and it is either (a) a failure to prepare the team or (b) a failure to get the team to buy into the preparation. The bottomline result is "the obvious" to which you are referring and does it really matter whether Woody is failing to prepare the team or if he is preparing them but he can't get the team's attention long enough to actually implement the preparation? Woodson needs to turn this around ASAP.

• Premium Member

All of these guys work hard and have made tremendous strides to get us to where we are. The proof is in the record. The problem with this team is seen clearly in the pattern of up and down gameplay. There are stretches in single games and across multiple games where this team looks invincible. Then there are games where we look absolutely pathetic. Every team goes through this, but the best teams experience it less. Championship teams DO NOT have these lapses in key games. They just win.

We are going to need to play on the road like we do at home. It really is that simple. The work ethic, the energy, the focus...it's all there when we're on the home court. It's not a question of whether or not we have it. The court is the same no matter what arena we play in and there is no magic that gives a home team an advantage over us. It is a lack of mental preparation. Championship teams don't give a damn where they're playing. The want to take care of the home court, but they will just as soon set out to beat the crap out of a team on the road. They don't do this by walking into an arena with an entitled attitude. They come in and impose their will. They play THEIR game.

Defensively, we can do that with focus, intensity, and the proper adjustments. On offense, it's going to take all that and a better game plan than allowing these guys to go one-on-one all night and settling for jumpers. That's not imposing our will or playing our game. That's just a recipe for failure. Coach has got to get in there, get these guys to focus, make them understand their roles, and get them to stick with the gameplan. He has brought them this far, the question of whether or not he can take them further is answered by how we play from this moment on.

• Premium Member

Woody can damn sure give him a spot on the bench when he sees the same guy halfassing.

If we were going to lose anyway, it would have done Josh some good to see Zaza play with fire than to have Smoove throw tantrums.

Woody can damn sure give him a spot on the bench when he sees the same guy halfassing.

If we were going to lose anyway, it would have done Josh some good to see Zaza play with fire than to have Smoove throw tantrums.

That is true, but Woody cannot control (ala joy-stick) guys while they are on the court. This is a players league and they are accountable first.

Sund doesn't escape blame either. He set the tone with a lame-duck coach. Sund is resposible for the road-trip accomodations and preparation atmosphere. If players are unfocused because of external effects, change the opportunities. It is a game and it is a business. Sund do your part too.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

That is true, but Woody cannot control (ala joy-stick) guys while they are on the court. This is a players league and they are accountable first.

Sund doesn't escape blame either. He set the tone with a lame-duck coach. Sund is resposible for the road-trip accomodations and preparation atmosphere. If players are unfocused because of external effects, change the opportunities. It is a game and it is a business. Sund do your part too.

That's my position. Schematically Woody irritates me at times but I will never blame a coach because a guy is dogging it. Sorry but Smoove and Marvin played like trash. The players motivation should start with the fact that he is being paid more money per game than 99% of Americans make in a year. As a man you (the player) must play with some pride.

Honestly passion is the only the thing players should bring to the table. Coaches should provide direction but everything else has to come from the guys on the court.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Crawford is lying. They've done been in 20 playoff games or so by now. IThey simply didn't care about winning the game.

• Premium Member

Crawford is lying. They've done been in 20 playoff games or so by now. IThey simply didn't care about winning the game.

they started believing the hype. hopefully the but whipping brought them back down to earth.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Jennings is right.

And you would be right. We came out and decisvely won both games at home and figured the rest was a piece of cake. We came out with no energy or sense of urgency, and once they hit us in the mouth, we laid down. This game, we better draw blood first because their home crowd is no joke...and we have no business allowing this far inferior team to push us to 6 or 7 games.

• Premium Member

I might also add, that the character of a team resembles the coach pulling the strings. Scott Skiles has those boys playing with a sense of urgency and even in the losses, they're getting more done with less.

He's not lying. I think they underestmated the Bucks . . . just like most of our fan base did ( and still do, for that matter ).

This is really the first playoff series that the Hawks have been favored in. Even in the 4 vs 5 matchup we were in vs Miami, more people thought the Heat would beat us.

In this series, we're the heavy favorite. So I'm sure they probably did underestimate how they'd come out.

It's still no excuse though. They got their butts kicked.

People just need to keep their eye on #5 tonight. See what his energy level is like in the 1st quarter.

Edited by northcyde