• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody's switching defense

dhawk

This has been the subject of debate a lot, but when the players themselves admit they don't know what the heck is going on, its time to simplify this crap. Why make the defense as complicated as calculus when it can be as simple as adding/subtracting? Marvin says in the AJC there were occasions when teammates were beaten one-on-one when he was supposed to provide help on defense, but did not.

"I just catch myself standing there," he said. "Other guys have been doing the same thing, too."

Woody is over-compensating for a few terrible defensive players (mainly Bibby & Crawford) by switching everything, creating more mismatches than he had before.

When the guys switch they have to be thinking ahead to the next switch. Like Skiles says keep moving the ball and the defense will breakdown.

Josh Smith, the best help-defender near the basket is drawn out to the perimeter, what guard is going to stop all the layups and dunks if Josh & Al is on the perimeter? JJ, Marvin, Bibby and Crawford are not intimidating nobody down low. O-lay!!!!!

The Hawks may do the switching a little better at home, but overall it is a recipe for disaster in playoff basketball.

Everyone should just man up and guard somebody. If they get beat, then Al & Josh who are near or in the paint would block or alter some shots, all these lay-ups and dunks would end. Then the guards can stick to the man on the perimeter at least enough not to give up all those 3's. Then teams like the Bucks won't shoot nearly 60% and wouldn't have a chance to win.

• Moderators

I liked spotatl's comment (I think it was him) that said that the Hawks need to stick with their man early in the shot clock around screens, etc. and then you can do the switching later in the clock when there is less time to exploit the matchup problems it creates.

This has been the subject of debate a lot, but when the players themselves admit they don't know what the heck is going on, its time to simplify this crap. Why make the defense as complicated as calculus when it can be as simple as adding/subtracting? Marvin says in the AJC there were occasions when teammates were beaten one-on-one when he was supposed to provide help on defense, but did not.

"I just catch myself standing there," he said. "Other guys have been doing the same thing, too."

Woody is over-compensating for a few terrible defensive players (mainly Bibby & Crawford) by switching everything, creating more mismatches than he had before.

When the guys switch they have to be thinking ahead to the next switch. Like Skiles says keep moving the ball and the defense will breakdown.

Josh Smith, the best help-defender near the basket is drawn out to the perimeter, what guard is going to stop all the layups and dunks if Josh & Al is on the perimeter? JJ, Marvin, Bibby and Crawford are not intimidating nobody down low. O-lay!!!!!

The Hawks may do the switching a little better at home, but overall it is a recipe for disaster in playoff basketball.

Everyone should just man up and guard somebody. If they get beat, then Al & Josh who are near or in the paint would block or alter some shots, all these lay-ups and dunks would end. Then the guards can stick to the man on the perimeter at least enough not to give up all those 3's. Then teams like the Bucks won't shoot nearly 60% and wouldn't have a chance to win.

I don't believe Woody is inventing the wheel here. I believe Woody, like his players have no idea on what to do with this.

You bring a good point in that its not like we necessarily need a switching D considering we have two of the premier shot blockers in the NBA.

Not quite that easy.

What will happen then, is that Skiles will spread the floor, putting as many people away from the basket as he can, enabling Jennings to go one on one vs Bibby and Crawford or JJ or whomever.

That's exactly what Mike D'Antoni did with Nate Robinson, when he went off. He pretty much put everyone out by the 3 point line, and just let Nate go to work. Help did come in the form of Smoove or Horford, but never in time enough to stop Nate's floater. And when the man guarding Nate backed off of him, preventing the dribble-drive, Nate shot the long uncontested jumper.

Whatever defense we play, we just have to stop leaving these shooters wide open. No way should Carlod Delfino have 6 three point makes in a game.

If woodson was a real coach he would have teague in the game with jennings and bibby with ridnour. this switching stuff is dumb when everyone on the corut can guard there man except for bibby. its almost like it was built just for his short slow azz

Not quite that easy.

What will happen then, is that Skiles will spread the floor, putting as many people away from the basket as he can, enabling Jennings to go one on one vs Bibby and Crawford or JJ or whomever.

That's exactly what Mike D'Antoni did with Nate Robinson, when he went off. He pretty much put everyone out by the 3 point line, and just let Nate go to work. Help did come in the form of Smoove or Horford, but never in time enough to stop Nate's floater. And when the man guarding Nate backed off of him, preventing the dribble-drive, Nate shot the long uncontested jumper.

Whatever defense we play, we just have to stop leaving these shooters wide open. No way should Carlod Delfino have 6 three point makes in a game.

Better yet, if Woody wants to switch something, he could keep switching up the type of defense. I think Skiles teams is good in figuring things out once he drills it in the head, but if the defense keeps changing they would look confused in terms of how to attack it, wasting valuable shot clock time.