• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do we give Woodson credit for this win?

mrhonline

funny how every fan here is giving Scott Skiles attaboys for competing against us while no one gave Woodrow an once of credit for taking the more-talented Celtics to 7 two years ago. What's up with that? Sometimes I wonder why ASG even waste money on a HC. According to most of you this team would be better off with no coach at all.

I'm not a Woody fan....but I actually agree with this post.

• Premium Member

Not really, the Hawks were supposed to beat Milwaukee. They were missing their best player and the Hawks have the better player at every position plus 6th man, except PG, with huge advantages in the paint.

Winning isn't the same as outcoaching. The Hawks and Bucks are not equal in talent. Why do you recognize that with the Hawks-Magic series, but not the Hawks-Bucks?

Basketball is a game of matchups. If Milwaukee had Bogut, we would have beat them easier.

Offensively, they were forced to lean on Salmons and Jennings. Those are two guys with the skills to hurt us. Had Bogut been playing it would have been Bogut to Delfino. We would have stopped that. I also think them playing Kurt Thomas was another thing that gave them an advantage. Thomas is crafty and dirty. Two things our bigs don't know much about. Bogut wasn't going to flop the way that Thomas Flopped. 70% of the time, Thomas' flopping worked. Thomas would have played a quarter of the minutes that he played and would not have been as effective.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier thread. If Woodson would make adjustments as necessary I think most complaints about his system would go away. This system works. It wins. He just needs to appreciate the times it doesn't work and have a back up plan.

• Moderators

funny how every fan here is giving Scott Skiles attaboys for competing against us while no one gave Woodrow an once of credit for taking the more-talented Celtics to 7 two years ago. What's up with that? Sometimes I wonder why ASG even waste money on a HC. According to most of you this team would be better off with no coach at all.

There were a LOT of attaboys for Woodson back in 2007. The only criticism was that we were absolutely destroyed on the road but to act like no one gave him any credit is just misrepresenting what happened back then.

I see it this way

The Hawks got a C on a test they should have got an A+ on

yea they passed I'm relieved its over with but we shouldn't be extremely happy about it

the jury is still out on woody for me, he and the team need to show me an A+ effort in the next round

• Like 2

I think that Skiles did a terrible job of coaching in the first 2 games. he PLANNED to guard Josh SMith with Carlos Delfino- thats just terrible coaching and Woodson did far better. In the last 2 games the Hawks won by 14 on the road and by 21 in the clinching game. How on earth can you not give Woodson any credit for those?

• Premium Member

I think that Skiles did a terrible job of coaching in the first 2 games. he PLANNED to guard Josh SMith with Carlos Delfino- thats just terrible coaching and Woodson did far better. In the last 2 games the Hawks won by 14 on the road and by 21 in the clinching game. How on earth can you not give Woodson any credit for those?

We lost three straight games (including a home game up 9 points with 4 minutes remaining) against the second worst field goal shooting team in the NBA without their BEST player. How the hell was that a good series for us? Kudos for not completely embarrassing ourselves and getting eliminated, but damn, not even close to a good showing for us. We are averaging 80 points in 12 playoff road games under Woodson. We did nothing this series to indicate we will be able to compete with the Magic. Hopefully things change next series, but so far Woodson's playoff coaching record is whack.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Skiles made a big mistake with the Delfino decision in games 1 and 2. Woodson then dropped the ball for games 3-5 by failing to make adjustments and just sticking with a vanilla gameplan. Games 6 and 7 seemed to me to be less about the coaches and more about the personnel - I thought both coaches did what was expected of them in games 6-7.

I have a hard time giving Woodson credit for outcoaching Skiles on the series as a whole when we should have won this series in 4 or 5 games with equal coaching from both sides and we ended up going to 7 games primarily based on Woodson's failure to make adjustments in games 3-5.

Similarly, if we went to 7 games against the Cavs with Al Horford and Jamal Crawford out for the year, I wouldn't give big credit to Mike Brown for his impact on that series. In my hypo and in the Atl/Mil series, there is a severe talent difference between the squads and you should expect some blowouts and few losses from the superior rosters.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Also about the Boston series: Woodson DID get credit. I mean, it is the reason he is still our coach. We don't win those three nail biters at home and Woodson would have been done. (we lose one more regular season game that season and Woodson is an assistant somewhere right now). Boston was like what? +20 in point differential that series? We weren't exactly on the verge of beating that team. Two of the games we won came down to the final minute, a couple of plays don't go our way and we lose that series in 5. Not exactly the same situation.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 2