No Low Post ...............

Vol4ever

A lot of that came via transition though. Smoove got 6 points off of transition opportunities. And the Hawks made 4 jumpshots in that quarter as well. The Hawks were limiting the Magic to one and done opportunities, or creating turnovers, which fueled those opportunities. And they also got a few offensive rebounds, and put the ball back in the hole.

A lot of you are in denial about the impact that Dwight Howard has on our frontline and the aggressiveness of our guards. When these guys get wide open jumpers, they have to knock them down. That's the only way we're going to beat the Magic. In the game we beat them in March, a big reason for the win was Mike Bibby and Mo Evans knocking down outside shots.

That's goes v. the philosophy that Woody is wrong and everything is coaching fault that many here so gregariously believe.

BS. What is your source for Perkins being 6'11? Every source I've ever seen has him at 6'10. And it's not exactly a secret that like Horford, Perkins has to do "with shoes" just to be listed as 6'10. In games, it is clear that Garnett has a couple inches on him.

And if you think that there is a unified set of "center traits" in the modern NBA...well, you can just look at the teams that won titles in the last 20 years and tell that that's BS.

An inch is not a big enough deal to get your panties in a wad. This report was from two seasons ago, everything I said earlier about Perkins was off top my head.

Defense: Perkins has average height for an NBA center at 6-10, but more than makes up for that with a monster 7-4 wingspan and a chiseled 280 pound frame. All things considered, Perkins might be considered one of the best interior defenders in the NBA. He denies space in the post extremely well, has excellent footwork, and is very hard to back down because of his strength and tenacity. He also uses his length extremely well, often forcing his matchup to alter their shot awkwardly because of his reach. He’s an excellent shot-blocker as well, either coming from the weak-side or showing really nice timing with on-ball blocks, compensating for his average explosiveness. When forced out to the perimeter, though, Perkins’ lack of lateral quickness can get exposed if asked to guard an athletic big man who put the ball on the floor. Perkins is a decent, but not amazing rebounder for his position. He can also be a bit foul prone at times.

• Premium Member

An inch is not a big enough deal to get your panties in a wad.

I'm glad we agree. A strong, athletic, smart 6'10 guy with a wide frame can be a good defensive center.

Hey wait a minute - that sounds like Horford!

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I'm glad we agree. A strong, athletic, smart 6'10 guy with a wide frame can be a good defensive center.

Hey wait a minute - that sounds like Horford!

Just about most ppl in NBA circles like Horford but never as a center but it's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to there's.

• Premium Member

Just about most ppl in NBA circles like Horford but never as a center but it's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to there's.

You're right. The coaches in the NBA think so little of him as a center that they voted him as an All-Star at center.

You're right. The coaches in the NBA think so little of him as a center that they voted him as an All-Star at center.

He's a very good player who plays center for the Hawks. That maybe why? Same for Bosh being a center in his 1st all star but no one thinks of Bosh as a center.

• Premium Member

He's a very good player who plays center for the Hawks. That maybe why? Same for Bosh being a center in his 1st all star but no one thinks of Bosh as a center.

They think more of him as a center than they do all but 1 other center in the Eastern Conference.

I agree . Good post. I think the problem with JJ last night was that he tried too hard to get others involved. He wasn't selfish enough in my opinion. I will give him props for crashing the boards last night. He had 7 rebounds in the first half (3 offensive). He has to become a factor and be more selfish in this series offensively. The magic don't have anyone who can guard him on the perimeter so he can't settle for those long fadeaway jumpers.

Strong guard play is the only way we can win this series because our bigs can't handle D12. There isn't any amount of coaching Woody can give Horford to help him defend D12. Howard is just that dominant. Offensively, you have to make jumpshots from the perimeter. That is where JJ, Craw, and Bibby come in.

I agree . Good post. I think the problem with JJ last night was that he tried too hard to get others involved. He wasn't selfish enough in my opinion. I will give him props for crashing the boards last night. He had 7 rebounds in the first half (3 offensive). He has to become a factor and be more selfish in this series offensively. The magic don't have anyone who can guard him on the perimeter so he can't settle for those long fadeaway jumpers.

Strong guard play is the only way we can win this series because our bigs can't handle D12. There isn't any amount of coaching Woody can give Horford to help him defend D12. Howard is just that dominant. Offensively, you have to make jumpshots from the perimeter. That is where JJ, Craw, and Bibby come in.

What's more noticeable with JJ is that he's plays poorly under stress. Not saying he isn't clutch because he is but he's under a lot of stress and you see it in his game. It's could be for a lot of reasons that I don't know but he's stressed.

offense no wining in the playoffs. If you live by the jumper, you die by the jumper, and this is an age old truth. The Hawks have NO low post player on the roster and the playoffs expose that everytime - look at M'Kee this year and Boston last year.

Getting necessary parts is what the offseason is for. Crawford was a great pickup BUT we did not get a low post player so we will go down to the Magic.

I thought Barkley's statement about teams always dying by the jumper ridiculous as the jumper was what won for Orlando last nite. It wasn't Howard that blew us out it was all those wide open threes and long 2's they hit.

I thought Barkley's statement about teams always dying by the jumper ridiculous as the jumper was what won for Orlando last nite. It wasn't Howard that blew us out it was all those wide open threes and long 2's they hit.

The issue here is that their jumpers are in transition, no to mention ... wide open. Our jumpers are contested and result in 1 pass and several dribbles.