• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Woodson: "We've got to play almost a perfect game to beat this team"

GameTime

I haven't thought of this... good point. The guy sets low expectations so that when the team exceeds it, then it's all because of him. And then if they meet it, it's good for him too. Seems like he only thought of himself and not for best interest of the team.

"Low expectations"? Is that like, making the playoffs in 06-07? or Beating the Celtics in 07-08? or maybe 50 wins and a top 4 seed in 08-09? Last summer he said the ECC. Those are low expextations with these limitless talent filled teams.

Woody was truthful. And was coachspeak. You guys enjoy being lied to.

Exactly.

They enjoy being lied to . . and they enjoy citing any sort of evidence that Woody is an idiot for doing this or that.

I guess Larry Brown is an idiot too . . because he's NOTORIOUS for doing this. So is Jim Boeheim of Syracuse and former coach Lou Holtz.

Edited by northcyde

"Low expectations"? Is that like, making the playoffs in 06-07? or Beating the Celtics in 07-08? or maybe 50 wins and a top 4 seed in 08-09? Last summer he said the ECC. Those are low expextations with these limitless talent filled teams.

Limitless? Maybe you don't realize that we've got a major liability starting at PG and we're playing a decent sized PF at C every night and those are the 2 most important positions in the starting lineup?

I'll agree that Woody does make statements that make it seem like he's trying to cover his *ss but in no way is our talent limitless and that's not even mentioning the fact that outside of Jamal we're not all that deep off the bench. I don't think that we would have won too many more (if any) games with another coach then we won this year but I definitely think we wouldn't be getting embarrassed so badly on the road on a routine basis either.

I am cynical that he is not setting expectations with it like he has in past seasons.

Fixed ... lol j/k and I tend to agree with you about him and his reasoning for the poor play being an excuse for his performance but in this case I really don't think he literally meant playing a perfect game since there has never been a perfect game played in the history of sports by an entire time.

• Premium Member

The only good thing that is coming from our almost certain exit in the playoffs is finally, FINALLY not having the worst head coach of any sport I've ever seen standing next to our bench. Any guy Sund finds can do a better job than Woodson.

Limitless? Maybe you don't realize that we've got a major liability starting at PG and we're playing a decent sized PF at C every night and those are the 2 most important positions in the starting lineup?

I'll agree that Woody does make statements that make it seem like he's trying to cover his *ss but in no way is our talent limitless and that's not even mentioning the fact that outside of Jamal we're not all that deep off the bench. I don't think that we would have won too many more (if any) games with another coach then we won this year but I definitely think we wouldn't be getting embarrassed so badly on the road on a routine basis either.

Dolf, The "limitless talent" remark was sarcasm. Of course we have never had a full complament of talent or bonafide roster.

• Moderators

Well, everyone has convinced me that we shouldn't expect to even be remotely competitive. Woody was just telling the truth. With him coaching, we do need an almost perfect game - zero game plan, zero motivation -- that is a lot to overcome and without a near perfect game you just aren't going to come within 20 points of the Magic. #2 v. #3 seeds frequently have series as lopsided as this one.

Dolf, The "limitless talent" remark was sarcasm. Of course we have never had a full complament of talent or bonafide roster.

Whoops my fault then ... I guess it's hard to detect sarcasm during such a depressing time as a Hawks fan.