• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is this season considered an improvement over last?

JackB1

Do you think we improved AS A TEAM this year? I am not so sure. We did win a few more games overall and improved our away record a little, but we still seemed to be stuck in the same place when all was said and done. Horford and Josh improved, but Marvin and Bibby went backwards. Crawford was a great pickup, but Joe Smith was a bust. Teague looks promising and will benefit greatly if Woodson is gone.

So I think the answer is yes...but only slightly. We are still well below Cleveland and Orlando, but so are many teams. I am not sure if we are better than Boston?

This offseason should be very interesting. Many questions need to be answered....

1) Joe Johnson ....will we get something for him or will he walk and really screw the organization

2) Mike Bibby - What will his role be next year

3) Jeff Teague - We MUST find out if he will be our PG of the future

4) New Coach???

5) Marvin - Can he flourish under a new coach and system? Its possible.

6) Who do we build around? Horford seems to be the only "untouchable". Smith would have been, but has reverted back to "Evil Josh" in the playoffs.

I dont think the Hawks need to "blow up" the team. I think a coaching change will be huge for these guys and I would love to see what they can do with a real offensive scheme.

Edited by JackB1

• Premium Member

Yes.

The fact that Josh Smith stop shooting the bonehead three during the season makes this an improved season.

The fact that Horf stepped up to AllStar status made this an improved season.

The fact that we won road games made this an improved season.

The fact that we didn't lose 3 games in a row made this an improved season.

The fact that we were the third best team in the East made this an improved season.

We're getting our asses handed to us by a team that didn't lose a season series. Finished 2nd in the East but will probably win the title.

That's like Utah criticizing themselves for losing to Jordan.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The fact that Josh Smith stop shooting the bonehead three during the season makes this an improved season.

Yeah, but he shot slightly more long jumpers. In all, his EFG% and TS% were basically identical to last year's. He did improve his passing and rebounding immensely, though, which is big.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Meh - this one doesn't do much for me.

The fact that we were the third best team in the East made this an improved season.

That was as much due to the Celtics' fall as our rise, but agreed.

We're getting our asses handed to us by a team that didn't lose a season series. Finished 2nd in the East but will probably win the title.

Nah, because we aren't just losing. We're getting humiliated. The Jazz had one bad loss against the Bulls, but they didn't just roll over and play dead.

In any case, our improved regular season can be attributed more to our absurdly good luck with injuries than anything else, I think.

If you look at the regular season by itself, then its easy to say we improved as a team.

But....when you factor in THE WAY we are playing in most of these playoff games, it is blatantly

obvious this team isn't built for playoff basketball. We definitely need some changes to reach

the East Finals.

• Like 1

If you look at the regular season by itself, then its easy to say we improved as a team.

But....when you factor in THE WAY we are playing in most of these playoff games, it is blatantly

obvious this team isn't built for playoff basketball. We definitely need some changes to reach

the East Finals.

+1

iso offense in post-season anyone?

Yes.

Utah was not swept by Jordan; and if they were, I would imagine Malone and Stockton would have been seriously pissed. Other than that I agree, this is an improvement. Problem I see is we have hit the proverbial wall. Despite getting Craw in the offseason; which is a good move IMO, Cleveland and Orlando are still heads above us in talent; and its not going to get better by staying with the status quo.

Edited by Buzzard

No Nba Championship = Failure season to me

If you really feel that way then Atlanta is not the sports town for you.

I said before the season that a success for this season would be a more impressive first round and a more competitive second round. The Hawks failed miserably at both of those things. If anything you could call this season a step back.

• Premium Member

no, we may have won more games but face the same scenario for playoff outcome. which is what really matters

Truth is.. we're still one of the 8 teams left standing.

When you consider who's left...

1. I think we're better than the Suns(1-1), Spurs(1-1), Jazz (2-0), and Celtics (4-0). Last year, I don't think we were better than any of the top 8 left.

2. I think Orlando is the best team left playing right now.

The cards just didn't fall the right way for us this time. We might sneak the game monday, but with the same coaching, I don't see how.

People say we were lucky because we didn't have many injuries? Well, all that means is that our team was able to play all season. I know we factor in injuries, but it's good to have a healthy team. Our team is the focus of this discussion.

Truth is.. we're still one of the 8 teams left standing.

When you consider who's left...

1. I think we're better than the Suns(1-1), Spurs(1-1), Jazz (2-0), and Celtics (4-0). Last year, I don't think we were better than any of the top 8 left.

2. I think Orlando is the best team left playing right now.

The cards just didn't fall the right way for us this time. We might sneak the game monday, but with the same coaching, I don't see how.

People say we were lucky because we didn't have many injuries? Well, all that means is that our team was able to play all season. I know we factor in injuries, but it's good to have a healthy team. Our team is the focus of this discussion.

I agree. This would be a closer series versus the Cavs. Magic has beaten us to s pulp all year... How does these playoffs change this? They have a stronger coach and offense. We have a dumb coach with no offensive scheme. I feel that we improved this year, but our lack of coaching cost us in the playoffs.

Gearon and Sund have both said that the litmus test is the playoffs. It was Woodson and the team who set benchmarks for the regular season...

The playoffs should be the test. We have made them three seasons in a row; so the regular season is now a forgone conclusion. Last season Woody had some legitimate reasons with all the injuries. This season, no excuses just horrible play....

I would say we made slight improvement in the regular season, but regressed in the playoffs.

The team seems to have lost focus and is turning in on themselves. There have been hints all season that Horf and Josh were not happy with the guards. This seems to be playing out in the playoffs where the guards seem to forget to go into the post guys.

He team needs some changes to get past he chemestry probelms. Head coach being number one

Do you think we improved AS A TEAM this year? I am not so sure. We did win a few more games overall and improved our away record a little, but we still seemed to be stuck in the same place when all was said and done. Horford and Josh improved, but Marvin and Bibby went backwards. Crawford was a great pickup, but Joe Smith was a bust. Teague looks promising and will benefit greatly if Woodson is gone.

So I think the answer is yes...but only slightly. We are still well below Cleveland and Orlando, but so are many teams. I am not sure if we are better than Boston?

This offseason should be very interesting. Many questions need to be answered....

1) Joe Johnson ....will we get something for him or will he walk and really screw the organization

2) Mike Bibby - What will his role be next year

3) Jeff Teague - We MUST find out if he will be our PG of the future

4) New Coach???

5) Marvin - Can he flourish under a new coach and system? Its possible.

6) Who do we build around? Horford seems to be the only "untouchable". Smith would have been, but has reverted back to "Evil Josh" in the playoffs.

I dont think the Hawks need to "blow up" the team. I think a coaching change will be huge for these guys and I would love to see what they can do with a real offensive scheme.

I think the fact that the team was significantly more healthy this season then last - losing only around 13 games to injury by the teams top 6 players versus last season losing over 50, a few additional wins should have been expected.

Couple that with more experience for Smith, Horford and Williams, the addition of Crawford and signing a few veteran big men, again, you would expect a few more wins.

Becoming a perennial second round cast-off is probably not the results people were looking for after a prolonged rebuilding process.

Minimal improvement is all I can say. That minimal improvement may be due to the team being much healthier this season compared to last.

The addition of Crawford helped some but that meant less production from Bibby and Marvin b/c Crawford took their minutes and shots. Crawford is still an outstanding insurance policy for the seemingly inevitable departure of JJ.

Both Smith and Horford improved. That is where I see the most improvement on this team.

Edited by coachx