• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why a sign-and-trade is a MUST.

mrhonline

I say we keep Joe at less than the max with a 6 year deal. That's always tradable.

It makes no sense to trade Joe unless he wants to go.

If he wants to go to NY, I want Gallanari and Gallanari alone.

If he wants to go to Chicago, I want Noah.

If he wants to go to New Orleans, I want CP3.

IF he wants to go to Dallas, I want that french PG..

If he wants to go to Houston, I want Lowry and some picks.

If he wants to go to LAL, I want Pau.

If he wants to go to PTL, I would try out Oden (Mr. Glass).

If he wants to go to Miami, I hate Miami's whole team... so I would want draft picks.

If he wants to go to NJ, I want Harris.

If he wants to go to Boston, I want Rondo Or Perk.

...and if.... "if's and buts were candy and nuts"...we'd all have a very good Christmas!

• Like 1

I would really rather just let JJ go or trade him to a team with cap space (so we don't have to take a ton of salary back) because if we resign him, than we are just locking ourselves into mediocrity. JJ needs to go, it's obvious that we aren't going to win a championship with this current makeup.

Can't do that...you see if you let him walk, you can't sign a new player without a cap hit. But if you trade him, you can take back his salary. Letting him walk, limit's the number and quality of player we can get. Better to trade him for 3 nobody's to fill roster space and give us trading chips.

Another incentive as i've previously mentioned to the team acquiring Joe to trade us back something in return is cap space for that team. If Team A has 20 million in Cap space, they can sign Joe for 16 mil per and eat up most of it. Or they can do a sign and trade sending us a 10 mil and 5 mil player and give Joe 16 mil. Net result, they get Joe and now have 21 mil....although there are extenuating circumstances to consider. Then the recieving team now as 21 million to spend. They then give a Bosh styled player 17 mil, and still have 4 million to sign a reserve. The net result for that team is they get 2 top tier talents. The benefit to us is being able to take back talent for his salary that may better fit our needs.

MrH is right here. JJ is gone and I say good riddance. The question is just do we get a player back or not.

Do not discount a 3 way trade either. We trade JJ to destination A which is where he would want to sign. We get a player from B where he doesn't want to sign and that player we get doesn't want to be and we would want. A gives to B the talent JJ replaces and gets the kicker.

I say we keep Joe at less than the max with a 6 year deal. That's always tradable.

It makes no sense to trade Joe unless he wants to go.

If he wants to go to NY, I want Gallanari and Gallanari alone.

If he wants to go to Chicago, I want Noah.

If he wants to go to New Orleans, I want CP3.

IF he wants to go to Dallas, I want that french PG..

If he wants to go to Houston, I want Lowry and some picks.

If he wants to go to LAL, I want Pau.

If he wants to go to PTL, I would try out Oden (Mr. Glass).

If he wants to go to Miami, I hate Miami's whole team... so I would want draft picks.

If he wants to go to NJ, I want Harris.

If he wants to go to Boston, I want Rondo Or Perk.

Resigning Joe is a non starter. If you resign Joe he gets the right of first refusal in future trades. You can't just ship him to Golden State. He can veto any trade if we resign him.

Miami for draft picks is out of the question. We wouldn't have room to sign the picks without a roster bump.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't want to go to New Orleans....JJ for CP3 is the best option you listed.

The problem with this is we can't send him somewhere. He has to choose to go somewhere and they have to want him. That makes the list of suitors very small. It requires a team that doesn't need an inside presence. A team that is set at the PF/C position. New Jersey would be a great fit for Joe, but word is that LeBron is going there.

Resigning Joe is a non starter. If you resign Joe he gets the right of first refusal in future trades. You can't just ship him to Golden State. He can veto any trade if we resign him.

No. Right of first refusal refers to restricted free agency, which this is not.

What you are referring to is a no-trade clause. You can get a no-trade clause if you have been in the league for 8 years and with the same team for at least 4. Joe would qualify for this. But just because he qualifies doesn't mean he gets a no-trade clause. The Hawks would have to explicitly write into his contract that he would receive a no-trade clause. If we resign Joe, that alone does not guarantee that Joe could veto any trade.

No. Right of first refusal refers to restricted free agency, which this is not.

What you are referring to is a no-trade clause. You can get a no-trade clause if you have been in the league for 8 years and with the same team for at least 4. Joe would qualify for this. But just because he qualifies doesn't mean he gets a no-trade clause. The Hawks would have to explicitly write into his contract that he would receive a no-trade clause. If we resign Joe, that alone does not guarantee that Joe could veto any trade.

Joe holds all the cards here. It will be there because it would be there for anyone else that would sign him.

You wouldn't have to waive Dampier unless you couldn't find a suitable trade. He would be the most obvious trading chip in the NBA at that point, so you'd expect Sund to be flooded with offers.

I suggested Maggette because 1.) you're gonna need to replace JJ's scoring if he leaves, and 2.) he's not essential to the W's plans. It was just a suggestion of the kind of value you'd get for Dampier/TPE.

If Maggette is the return on a JJ sign-and-trade I would much rather just resign JJ.

I really believe we all saw this day coming - the day where the Hawks would reach a plateau. Drafting poorly will do that every time.Bad coaching doesn't help either.

Guest Walter

Gallinari is an interesting prospect to me, one who could take over a scoring load lost by JJ. With Curry's expiring contract added to make it work this would make a SNT of Joe Johnson to NY OK with me. NY has no 1st rder this year so...The likelihood of this or any similar deal is so small IMO.

Unfortunately, we cannot deal with free agency before we deal with the draft. We have to deal with things in the order they can be dealt with. That means coaching first. We MUST get a high quality head coach! The ASG cannot go cheap on this. I'm not certain who is the best fit here. Avery Johnson?

Next, we must deal with the draft. Preferably trade MW and our first to move up enough to draft a prospect big in Hassan Whiteside at worst or another potential perimeter (Sf) scorer such as Wesley Johnson. We need both, we cannot afford to resign Horford without moving someone and his contract isn't as far off as we might want to think. Whiteside could make trading or keeping Horford workable as he has both offensive and defensive potential and as a 7'er makes keeping a shorter, mostly-Pf like JS workable also. Wesley Johnson appears to be a player with a higher pro potential than college player. He COULD take over a lead role in just a few years (already 23 yo) but may not cost as much draft capital as some (meaning he may not be a top 6-7 pick and may be affordable for MW and our first). If not a trade up, then hope a Sg in a weak Sg class falls. Even if we resign JJ, Crawford's deal comes up in one year. We will need a Sg soon if not now. James Andersen, Xavier Henry, overseas?

Thirdly, FA...

1) Attempt to resign JJ. If not sign and trade. This involves so many scenarios.

2) If JC declares his intent to return to the NBA this year, consider bringing Childress back over if JJ is not retained.

3) MLE If JJ leaves, Salmons or the like if JJ's production not "replaced" through SNT.

4) If none of the above...cry.

W