• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Hawks head coach candidate

Hoopsterino

Either he does or we trade his *ss.

Here is the problem. When the Hawks head coach (put whatever name you like here) and Josh Smith start feuding, Gearon is going to side with Josh Smith. Head coach X will not be able to implement a disciplined team system, and us fans will be singing the same song we are now.

Here is the problem. When the Hawks head coach (put whatever name you like here) and Josh Smith start feuding, Gearon is going to side with Josh Smith. Head coach X will not be able to implement a disciplined team system, and us fans will be singing the same song we are now.

I really think Avery Johnson is intelligent enough to CREATE good team chemistry. He's a superb communicator and knows how to "reach" different kinds and different levels of players.

He's one sharp little dude.

naw they be fine. Smith will love Avery. They wont have any problems.

I think we need to find the next great coach not a retread. However on a side note every time I see those pictures you post Woody gets extended. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by NJHAWK

Didn't Sund hire McMillan in Seattle?

My gut right now tells me Tyrone Corbin and I think that would be a solid solution. I just don't know how good of an X's and O's type of guy he is. But he's learned under Jerry Sloan so you know he is going to bring discipline and willingness to play rookies. Woodson on the other hand learned from Larry Brown, notorious for destroying rookies and relying heavily on a few select players.

I like the idea of Corbin. He was a cerebral player in his pro days and his time under Jerry Sloan is a plus.

If he interviews well he should be a strong candidate.

Agreed but if that process hasn't already started then Sund needs to get on the ball. The Woodson era is ended. I would thank him for his years with the team and announce that a new voice will be brought in to this team and then search out that upgrade. The next hire is very important.

I don't really like the idea of anybody losing their job...but Woody will get another one easy enough and he won't miss any meals.

Once Woody is fired/expired I think we here at Hawksquawk should all chip in and buy him a watch. A Stainless Steel Timex would be appropriate IMO.biggrin.gif

• Moderators

I don't really like the idea of anybody losing their job...but Woody will get another one easy enough and he won't miss any meals.

Once Woody is fired/expired I think we here at Hawksquawk should all chip in and buy him a watch. A Stainless Steel Timex would be appropriate IMO.biggrin.gif

It should be a digital watch because we all know he wouldn't make adjustments to a windup watch if it was running fast or slow.

• Like 1

Byron Scott would be a great pickup for us. He won't deal with any of this lack of effort whining business going on now and would command the players respect unlike potato head Woody who they just ignore and curse at during timeouts. Plus he is a proven winner!

• Moderators

WIll it be someone the ASG is willing to pay decent $$$$ for? If not, it'll be Sam Mitchell, which isn't the worst thing. I doubt it'll be someone with no HC experience, unless there's demonstrated ability to light a fire under players, or develop young players into stars (ex. Smitch w/ KG, Michael Redd, Bosh).

~lw3

WIll it be someone the ASG is willing to pay decent $$$$ for? If not, it'll be Sam Mitchell, which isn't the worst thing. I doubt it'll be someone with no HC experience, unless there's demonstrated ability to light a fire under players, or develop young players into stars (ex. Smitch w/ KG, Michael Redd, Bosh).

~lw3

The key (IMO) is JJ's salary coming off the books. A very smart card player could do this: Get a solid young fast PG (in a S-n-T maybe) and pay Avery Johnson to coach the team. I would hesitate to make any really big moves (unless something was just too good to refuse and fell into our laps)...I would like to see the team for a year under a good coach.

I don't see Avery Johnson can be had for 2 million a year, hope he personally sees a great opportunity for himself regardless. There won't be any issues with Josh, I can see HUGE problems with whatever player is the point.

I think he demands the most out of that position which I think is great. I'm privy to coaches that were point guards ideally with NBA service.

I don't see Avery Johnson can be had for 2 million a year, hope he personally sees a great opportunity for himself regardless. There won't be any issues with Josh, I can see HUGE problems with whatever player is the point.

I think he demands the most out of that position which I think is great. I'm privy to coaches that were point guards ideally with NBA service.

I grew up in Southern Illinois...right across the Wabash from Indiana...bigtime basketball country. Illinois was a "free state"so we never had any racial issues to speak of...none of that slavery stuff. Still (and this is just in my mind), were I an AA basketball player I would have to have TOTAL respect for Avery Johnson. He attended Southern University (an historically black college), was tutored by Ben Jobe, and was a PG in the NBA. I can't imagine that he wouldn't get total respect from the get-go. To not respect him would be like dis-respecting your own heritage.

Add to that, AJ likes to move the ball. That's how they played at Southern. If the Hawks hire him I'll buy season tickets. Pay the man ASG! ....you won't regret it.

Edited by DJlaysitup