• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's Hawks Offseason plan....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, Diesel, in all due respect, that lineup is just RESHUFFLING THE DECK CHAIRS.

The Hawks have to address the lack of speed in their backcourt and especially at the PG position. That PG doesn't necessarily have to be a starter, but someone who can play 15-18 minutes a game. I still have hope for Jeff Teague, but the Hawks still need to find another young guard who can break down defenses and run an offense.

I don't believe Steve Blake would be a difference maker for the Hawks-- especially against Orlando or Cleveland (Lebron is likely to stay in Cleveland).

Obviously, there is a void at the small forward position. Marvin must be traded. There must be more production from the small forward position. Looking at what Jason Richardson has done for Phoenix, the Hawks need that a player to have that same type of impact. I had suggested someone such as Corey Maggette, who is an aggressive scorer and has a reputation of getting to the free throw line. Maggette is not exclusively a jump shooter and able to take the contact (unlike Marvin) and get the opposing team's small forward such as a Paul Pierce or even Lebron in some foul trouble or at least pose a threat.

I have no problems with Childress coming back in some capacity off the bench.

Josh Smith has peaked as a player. His third quarter antics in Game 2 at Orlando and the emergence of jacking up long outside shots in the post-season suggest his on-court basketball attitude won't change. Plus, he won't battle Dwight Howard(for whatever reason) and that's a problem--moving forward. He can't manage his emotions under adversity. Josh has trade value and the Hawks should try to package him with another player and try to move up in the draft and get an impact player who can help the Hawks in 2011.

A player such as John Wall or Evan Turner would change the Hawks team and give us a different profile against teams such as Cleveland and Orlando. If Lebron and Dwight Howard are staying where they are, the Hawks have to find a way to beat them. Johan Petro and Steve Blake aren't the answer.

Vince Carter has terrorized the Hawks for a decade along with Manu Ginobli, so going after a guy such as Raja Bell could be possibility.

If the Hawks don't re-sign Joe, then give that money to Amare Stoudamire or Chris Bosh. He brings more to the table in terms of front court scoring.

First off, I'm suggesting getting a coach who will give us a true offensive scheme. Aren't you tired of us always looking for somebody who will "break down" the defense? If anything, this series should have confirmed that ball movement alone is enough to break down any defense. What I like about Lenny is that he coaches a motion offense that takes advantage of players moving while the ball is moving. Somebody has to teach Josh how to cut through the lane expecting a pass. Somebody has to teach this team how to play defense and how to trap in the lane and trap the ball handlers along the sides.

Josh hasn't peaked. Josh still has to develop his slashing game, his midrange game, but he needs better coaching. Woody is content to let Josh do whatever he wants to do. Lenny won't have that s--t. Lenny will make Josh into an excellent PF. Lenny did more with Jerome Williams than anyone could have ever hoped and Jerome Williams did not have nearly the skillset of Josh Smith.

It is fools hope that would make a man want to give up a winning team for a shot at a superstar. What if Evan Turner turns out to be the next Marvin Williams? What if John Wall turn out to be the next Jay Williams? Every year, people get in the draft hoping to get the next sure thing. However, it doesn't always come out like that. Honestly, I don't think Turner will be the impact player you think. I think Wall may be. Still, who would give up a chance to get Wall?

I have always liked Raja. I wanted him 4 years ago til now. The problem is he's coming off of a serious injury. I would like to have him if he had a good workout.

We should not look for an assistant. Assistants don't win in the playoffs. We need somebody who has been there as a player (those are the guys that win in the playoffs). Still, I say Lenny/Mitchell because these guys really need a lot of BBIQ help. Lenny is a guy who can definitely teach. Fratello too. However, I say Lenny because of the Sund connection and Lenny is likely to do it for 1 year simply to get the record back. Plus that would make for good theater. Lenny vs. Nelly. They'd have nightly updates on the Lenny vs. Nelly situ.

But after 1 year, I'd want Lenny to turn the reigns over to Mitchell. I don't know how far Lenny would take us. However, I think he would take us deep into the playoffs.

What is it about Sam Mitchell that intrigues you so much? He only had one or two good seasons with the raptors. Lawrence Franks have been to the nba finals and he never even played the game. Woody has been there as a player and look at how that turned out?

I do agree with you that these players are past the point where it will or might be a detriment to them to bring another unknown/unproven person to coach them. I seriously think fratello will be best or if lenny still had years left on him. I like Fratello because he used to coach the hawks, he gets the most out of his teams, he creates a system based on the peronnel (not vice versa), he will command respect and might be the key in helping Marvin, Horf, and Smoove take their games to another level.

Contrary to popular belief here, I honestly think Horf, Smoove and Marvin, with the right scheme that will provide them touches, can transform in to 18 to 20 point guys. Now before everyone gets a wedge in their butt cheeks tensing up from anger, I know that we have all witnessed these guys (atleast smoove n horf) carry the team at times this season. Before JJ became the player he is today, Woody gave him enough touches everynight during our irrelevant seasons to help raise his game. That's why I think Woody's scheme or lack thereof has stunted these guys growth. Horf is showing falshes that he is more than just a rebounder and midrange shooter. Smoove, we all know that he can be dynamic. Most of you guys just see him as a defensive contributor and a dunker. I actually think Josh and Al are at a point where someone has got to give them enough of a chance to allow these guys to play through bad nights. JJ still get his touches on bad nights, so does bosh, wade, bibby, craw, bron and all these accomplished guys. Why can't we give our guys a chance to do so? We are always ready to give up on them just because each of them isn't a superstar.

I remember everyone yelling at the falcons because they didn't sign or draft a DE to cure the lack of pass rush. What everyone fail to realize is that we have enough DE's on the roster who have improved in their first few years and he needs to give them a chance to break out. Someone had to give Jared Allen, Osi and those guys a chance to fully mature in to the players they are today. Why don't we do the same for ours?

Josh hasn't peaked. Josh still has to develop his slashing game, his midrange game, but he needs better coaching. Woody is content to let Josh do whatever he wants to do. Lenny won't have that s--t. Lenny will make Josh into an excellent PF. Lenny did more with Jerome Williams than anyone could have ever hoped and Jerome Williams did not have nearly the skillset of Josh Smith.

Lenny wasn't patient with Dominique Wilkins in 1993. Josh may be too set IN HIS WAYS and his on-court temper tantrums flare up throughout the season. Even though he had refrained from taking deep outside shots for most of the season, and three pointers for most of the regular season, it seems he was determined to do what HE wanted to do. Josh plays like a 6'5 guard who can't shoot than a 6'9 power forward. At times, Josh refuses to play inside. The Orlando and Milwaukee series are prime examples.

It may be too late to RE-PROGRAM Josh Smith at 25. He has been in the league for six years. Josh plays with more spirit and energy than Marvin, but lacks self-control on the court when situations get bad. If the Hawks goal is to win a championship, then Josh Smith .... and Marvin Williams MUST GO.

• Premium Member

What is it about Sam Mitchell that intrigues you so much? He only had one or two good seasons with the raptors. Lawrence Franks have been to the nba finals and he never even played the game. Woody has been there as a player and look at how that turned out?

I do agree with you that these players are past the point where it will or might be a detriment to them to bring another unknown/unproven person to coach them. I seriously think fratello will be best or if lenny still had years left on him. I like Fratello because he used to coach the hawks, he gets the most out of his teams, he creates a system based on the peronnel (not vice versa), he will command respect and might be the key in helping Marvin, Horf, and Smoove take their games to another level.

Contrary to popular belief here, I honestly think Horf, Smoove and Marvin, with the right scheme that will provide them touches, can transform in to 18 to 20 point guys. Now before everyone gets a wedge in their butt cheeks tensing up from anger, I know that we have all witnessed these guys (atleast smoove n horf) carry the team at times this season. Before JJ became the player he is today, Woody gave him enough touches everynight during our irrelevant seasons to help raise his game. That's why I think Woody's scheme or lack thereof has stunted these guys growth. Horf is showing falshes that he is more than just a rebounder and midrange shooter. Smoove, we all know that he can be dynamic. Most of you guys just see him as a defensive contributor and a dunker. I actually think Josh and Al are at a point where someone has got to give them enough of a chance to allow these guys to play through bad nights. JJ still get his touches on bad nights, so does bosh, wade, bibby, craw, bron and all these accomplished guys. Why can't we give our guys a chance to do so? We are always ready to give up on them just because each of them isn't a superstar.

I remember everyone yelling at the falcons because they didn't sign or draft a DE to cure the lack of pass rush. What everyone fail to realize is that we have enough DE's on the roster who have improved in their first few years and he needs to give them a chance to break out. Someone had to give Jared Allen, Osi and those guys a chance to fully mature in to the players they are today. Why don't we do the same for ours?

What intrigues me about Mitchell is the fact that he is a good X and O guy. When he was in Toronto, he had a soft Chris Bosh and some poor support and he was able to take those guys to the playoffs. He coaches uptempo which is something we desperately need. He lives in Atlanta so there would be no big transition. The other thing is defense. If you look at those Raptors team, there was nothing that screamed defense about them. No player with defensive ability. But with Chris Bosh (Soft) and a bunch of Europlayers, he made them into a top 15 defensive team. That's good.

• Premium Member

Lenny wasn't patient with Dominique Wilkins in 1993. Josh may be too set IN HIS WAYS and his on-court temper tantrums flare up throughout the season. Even though he had refrained from taking deep outside shots for most of the season, and three pointers for most of the regular season, it seems he was determined to do what HE wanted to do. Josh plays like a 6'5 guard who can't shoot than a 6'9 power forward. At times, Josh refuses to play inside. The Orlando and Milwaukee series are prime examples.

It may be too late to RE-PROGRAM Josh Smith at 25. He has been in the league for six years. Josh plays with more spirit and energy than Marvin, but lacks self-control on the court when situations get bad. If the Hawks goal is to win a championship, then Josh Smith .... and Marvin Williams MUST GO.

You have these flare ups with Josh Smith because of a lack of respect. I don't think deep down that he respects Woody enough to take direction from him. That's because Woody never set boundaries. A new coach will set boundaries right away.