Very good article on where we stand with the cap

thecampster

Thanks for the correction. I looked on Larry Coon's website for a while before making that statement. All I saw him mention were RFA..........could not him talking about cap - holds with unrestricted free agnets any where.

I totally get why the rule is there.

That is all good but just dug further into the article. Miami's remaing cap is with Wades cap hold included.

Let’s assume that Dwyane Wade stays and costs $16.57 million. That reduces Miami’s cap space to $18.43 million to $21.9 million.

That means that the Miami Heat can sign a second maximum contract player ($16.57 million again) and sign another role player with their leftover money ($1.86 million to $5.3 million).

link:

http://nbaroundtable.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/2010-cap-space-miami/

Miami has 35 to 38.5 total if they renounce Wade.

Edited by Buzzard

They won't renounce him because they know he's getting the max.

The Heat will recruit other players WHILE they work on a new contract with Wade.

Yep and this is why Wade is willing to stay. They can go after any of the max players since his cap hold still leaves the Heat with 18 to 20 mill to play with.

Yes most of us understand this but it is also splitting hairs...instead of trading his "rights" chances are the poster meant working out a SNT....

I have been around here long enough to know that this is not the case. I am not splitting hairs, if I wanted to split hairs I would have had a longer post.

I used to split hairs by breaking down every aspect of why someone was wrong on a CBA topic. Slowly I realized this was pointless and so now I only correct the blatant mistakes or new/interesting/confusing mistakes.

Why would they give away Noah (& his cheap rookie contract) when they can sign JJ out right ?

The only reason they give up Hinrich is b/c they don't want his contract and could use the salary dump to bring in a big to compliment Noah & Gibson.

You see, now this is an intelligent add to the discussion. Any time we trade in this situation is if the team that is signing JJ has something they do not need or are in too long of a contract with that player. They would never give you Noah because of his value against his salary but Hinrich would be a dump to them...

This is also why this whole thing is so difficult. If a team is far enough under the cap to sign JJ, they also then don't have many players under contract so what they have is very few chips to give away.

This is why JJ was a better trade 1 year ago when he was expiring. You had more options and could have retained the salary hold and gotten back Chillz.

• Moderators

You see, now this is an intelligent add to the discussion. Any time we trade in this situation is if the team that is signing JJ has something they do not need or are in too long of a contract with that player. They would never give you Noah because of his value against his salary but Hinrich would be a dump to them...

This is also why this whole thing is so difficult. If a team is far enough under the cap to sign JJ, they also then don't have many players under contract so what they have is very few chips to give away.

It'd be great to pull together a list of the "dump" players from each team (preferably in the Trade Ideas forum) so we could see what the range of SNT options are.

~lw3

Why would they give away Noah (& his cheap rookie contract) when they can sign JJ out right ?

The only reason they give up Hinrich is b/c they don't want his contract and could use the salary dump to bring in a big to compliment Noah & Gibson.

No reason to help JJ or other teams by taking big contracts off their hands. Why help Chicago rid themselves of bad contracts to sign the big name free agents and whoop us next year? Either we get some value back in addition to that conract (young productive player or 1st) or let JJ try to go be the star again. Hinrich is a solid filler but he would not be in our future plans and has 3 years left on his deal at roughly 8-9 million. I want Devin Harris if we are sign-and-trading JJ to one of the teams with cap space for a big contract. JJ/Bibby for Harris/Yi/Dooling. Gives them a little more space to add to an awesome core of Wall/JJ/Lopez/Lee. We take on a contract that could possibly stick around in Harris. Dooling/Yi/Crawford provide us with a chunk of expirings that could potentially snag a big name, big salary player at the deadline. That player + Harris/Smith/Horford going foward. I'm actually a big fan of that route. If NJ gets Wall, Harris is out.

We have been talking about this since November, it's getting repetitive.