• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Denberg on the pick thing.....and Ira info

Admin

Barring a trade, the Hawks will be shut out of the first round on draft night June 26. It was not unexpected.

General manager Pete Babcock said Tuesday that Detroit had exercised its option to retain the 23rd pick of the draft. As a result, that choice, through Houston, will give the Hawks anonther first-round pick in either 2003 or 2004 that may wind up higher than 23rd.

"We'd rather get it when it's a better pick," Babcock said of that possibility.

As for the 2002 draft, rated as highly speculative from mid-lottery down, Babcock said, "We would have interest in moving up in the first round if we could get a specific player. If a team called and said we'll trade you our pick, we would only want to do it on a contingency basis.

"We're not interested just in being a player in the first round."

The Hawks have 10 players under contract and six free agents from last season's 33-49 team. Babcock said Tuesday he has already notified swingman Ira Newble that he would like to re-sign him, and that Newble appears receptive.

The signing of any other player --- forward Hanno Mottola and point guard Jacque Vaughn specifically --- would depend on other roster moves or the lack of them. The 6-foot-7 Newble, signed as a free agent Jan. 22, gave the Hawks a big guard defender they lacked for two years.

He started the final 34 games of the season, averaging 8.0 points, 5.3 rebounds and shooting .484.

--------------------------

Guys I gotta say that I didnt realize Ira's numbers were quite so good. I knew he had some good games, but his numbers are quite impressive. Just imagine if both he and DJ improve by 5 points each this year and Theo comes back....thats a playoff team without even making any other moves.

Since he does soo much for us on the DEFENSIVE END.

I really think hes the GLUE to our defense.

It used to be MUTOMBO, and ever since he left... we are lost on D. Newble is guarding all the ALLENS, IVERSONS, MCGRADYS, BRYANTS of this league and is doing a heck of a job.