• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thank you Joe Johnson

Joker

He deserves credit for wanting to come to Atlanta in the first place. He returned the Hawks to some basic level of respectability.

I am thinking back to that and trying to understand why he wanted to come here in the first place. It clearly wasn't for the fans. If it was to be closer to home then wouldn't he have wanted to go to Dallas, Memphis, or New Orleans ahead of us?

It seems like there were 2 reasons. Money and to be able to dominate the ball the entire game. He got both, all we got is some crummy memories of taking the Celtics to game 7.

I am thinking back to that and trying to understand why he wanted to come here in the first place. It clearly wasn't for the fans. If it was to be closer to home then wouldn't he have wanted to go to Dallas, Memphis, or New Orleans ahead of us?

It seems like there were 2 reasons. Money and to be able to dominate the ball the entire game. He got both, all we got is some crummy memories of taking the Celtics to game 7.

You stay classy man.

• Like 1

Joe Johnson is a quiet superstar and one of the best Hawks ever. He came to us when nobody else would. He consistenly put up 20,5,5. I admire the guy for leaving the Suns when they were a really good team to come here and start something very special with us. I think we all took for granted what a great character guy he really is. Seems like in sports today, you have a lot of guys that have talent but also a lot of baggage to boot. I hope we resign him because he is truely one of my favorite players on the team. Please don't go Joe. Give this team another chance with a NEW COACH. A competent coach will get the best out of you and this team. Hope you remain an Atlanta Hawk.

Attack the post, not the poster.

So by asking that you remain classy in the Joe Johnson appreciation thread I am attacking you???? There are about 1,000 negative Joe Johnson threads floating around from earlier today you could have posted that in but whatever ma.

I dont want to lose JJ. I want us to get a coach with an offense besides ISOs and a PG who can attack the paint. As much as i like Marvin its time to actually start building the team around our superstar.

• Premium Member

He came here so he could be Option #1 instead of Option #4. There's a big difference between "Option #1" and "dominating the ball the entire game." I don't think he came here to play for a coach who would make no effort to create open looks for him. Then again, I don't think most players think too deeply about stuff like that, which is why most players never become coaches. In any case, I think JJ would have been happy as a #1 option under any system. I'd like to see what he can do in an offense that creates some of his shots for him, instead of expecting him to create the vast majority of his shots on his own.

Not incidentally, Joe's priorities 5 years ago probably differed significantly from what they are today.

I dont want to lose JJ. I want us to get a coach with an offense besides ISOs and a PG who can attack the paint. As much as i like Marvin its time to actually start building the team around our superstar.

This.

Edited by niremetal

I want Joe back here also, I want Woodson on another teams coaching staff. I want Marvin shopped around and i want a emphasis on uptempo ball play in Atlanta. This team plays at too much of an moderate pace to be as successful as it can be.

The nail just hit right on the head.

I dont think anyone would be afraid of coming here , providing we attract the right coach . This isn't the Hawks team of 5-6 years ago that was a loser and rebuilding . This is the Hawks team that is a coach and a player or 2 from being an elite team.

• Moderators

I definitely am thankful we traded for JJ and that he has been here the last 5 years. I hope we can come up with a way to make it year 6 next season in Atlanta!

Edited by AHF

I definitely am thankful we traded for JJ and that he has been here the last 5 years. I hope we can come up with a way to make it year 6 next season in Atlanta!

I can't complain about the JJ trade, but looking back on it 5 years later, the trade was Boris Diaw and two picks, which I believe became Rajon Rondo and Robin Lopez, for JJ and a big contract.

If Billy Knight does not have that trade in his back pocket, does he still take Marvin over Paul or Deron? Does he take Shelden over Roy?

At the end of the day, I think Joe Johnson has been everything this franchise could have hoped for. He never was going to be Kobe Bryant. I think this team would take a significant step backwards without JJ and outside of positioning to get a high lottery pick, I don't see what the plan is to become something more than the team is now. Maybe a good coach could find a way to take this group to the next level, but it will take some luck and a real point guard to do so.

• Premium Member

I hope that we see JJ in a Hawks uniform next year. It's funny that the ISO-Joe offense, that gives him the ability to hold the ball all day...is the same thing that is limiting JJ and keeping him from taking us to the next level. Joe Johnson is the most solid and most dependable player that we have suited up in a long time. No, he is not up there with the faces of the NBA and no he doesn't dominate a game like they do. But he is WELL above average and there are teams that are eyeballing him to pair up with what they have or what they're planning on getting. Letting him walk will rank up there with some of the biggest blunders in recent years.

What we need is to bring this team back with a new coach.

Thank you Joe for coming here in the 1st place when most players looked at this situation and laughed. Thanks for getting us to the playoffs 3 straight years and those great games in the Celtics series when you were unstoppable. Come back and force these owners to add to this team. :handshake: