• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

what star would come here after the way JJ was treated tonight

arhawkfan

I'm not agreeing with the fans that were booing. I don't condone booing the home team, ever. No matter how shitty they play. If you don't like it don't cheer, but booing makes it worse... so what's the point? But seriously, how do you think a New York crowd would react to Joe shooting under 30% and criticizing the fans on a national stage? A Boston crowd? He would be lucky to make it out of the stadium without a Indiana Pacer/ Detroit Piston brawl breaking out.

Exactly. New York will eat him alive as soon as he had an off night.

Joe showing up or not. A real fan does not "boo" his/her team. It is never ok. Win or loose you stick with the team and cheer. They gave us an outstanding run, with ups and downs. At least we made it this far. Only 7 other teams could say that this year.

arhawkfan...

We do not have the money to get a star anyways.

Yet, I feel that the fans of Atlanta Hawks will get better when we have a championship or better leadership(Falcons for example).

They don't understand that they made the situation worse tonight and put extra pressure on the team with the booing.

Booing is something that I've never done in my life. I may have cussed, or stayed silent for being so mad, but I've never booed any favorite team of mine in my life.

If they wanted to get their initial booing of JJ out of the way during the announcement of the starting lineups, then that's one thing. But to boo him the first time he touched the ball while the action was going on, that was straight up bush league and simply showing how idiotic some in the fan base were. Then they did it AGAIN.

They were booing him from the jump. He made a few shots, and the went back to cheering again. He started missing in the 3rd, and they went back to booing.

When he finally came out of the game, you heard cheers and boos. With that possibly being his last game, I would've stood and clapped out of appreciation for the 5 years he gave us . . .not boo him because he "hurt our feelings' with one stupid comment in the heat of the moment after losing a game.

That's why people outside of ATL rag on Atlanta so much. Seriously . . . who the hell boo THEIR OWN PLAYERS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME? They were acting like he was Kevin Garnett, with the way they were booing him.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

You mean the same type of fans (in this way) who booed the Celtics at home the other night? The difference between that instance and this one is that the Celtics players said that they deserved to be treated like that while our leader attacked the fans and the only player who I know of that stood up for the fans was Marvin.

You mean the fans booed that same Joe who wanted to come to this franchise when NO OTHER Legitimate player would come? The same Joe who played in front of crowds of 1700 before making this playoff run and left it on the floor nightly for these fans. The same fans who had NEVER got behind the Hawks in a meaningful way until 2 years ago. These fans are not innocent or rather rhey don't have a right to boo this man. Joe was wrong for saying what he said, but can you imagine the frustration he feels. For the last 5 years, he has given everything he had to this organization and these fans and just because he's not having a great series, they boo him? Joe stayed the course with this organization when our ownership mess fell apart at his feet. Joe played and was a 4 time allstar and Olympic candidate for this organization when back home his fanbase wasn't worth a damn and his hometown newspaper couldn't cover a water spill.

JJ endured and he is probably going to be gone.. and maybe 2 times a year, he may come back.. and we we will probably be in the midst of mediocrity because we can't appreciate a good thing when we have it. But you know what Atlanta fans will do.... BOOO...

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 2

I can't defend Joe on this one, he played like absolute crap all series and makes one of the worst soundbites i've ever heard a Hawks player say since i've been following this team. WTF do you expect Joe?? I'm one of those fans that supports the team relentlessly through rain,sleet and snow. But even I would have had a hard time not jeering at Joe and the team in this instance. It was horrible to watch cause it seemed like the effort was waning, how many layups and dunks did they have in this series??

Just inexcusable play, no idea on offense. But i was more disappointed in the defensive pressure and activity around the basket and 3 point line. It's like they had never seen Orlando play before. A lot also falls on Woodson and his staff, they looked clueless in this series. It was like a NBA coaching staff(Magic) against a college trainee staff(Hawks).

Now let's not overlook the fact that the Magic right now is really playing some light's out ball and the Hawks would at their best still lose in maybe 6.

But it was an absolute abomination watching that series, and as a fan i questioned the effort on more than 1 occasion. That's my main problem, the effort looked half-assed. :shake_puter:

Edited by HawkFoLife

Joe Johnson has been booed in two straight playoff games. The fans pay their money to see a superstar not Tito. It's like paying 10-15 dollars to see a new vintage Deniro flick but end up seeing a movie starring one of the Jersey Shore dudes.

Like it or not ownership needs to listen to what the fans want if they want them coming to games. This is just how I put myself in the shoes of fans booing after seeing the team get blown out consistently and the face of the franchise struggling in what happens to be a contract year.

My friend. You do not understand the concept of being a fan.

I do not care if they notice me, or care about me. They give me entertainment because I love the game of basketball. Win or loose. I am just glad to have a team here. That is all that really matters to me. I mean look how many cities do not have a NBA team. We should be grateful. Even if they do not always perform. That is why I am Loyal, and that is why I will love this team.

It doesn't make sense to me to offer that support ESP to professional athletes. I somewhat get the whole college sports love, but all these players care about is the money.

Safe to say I'll never be that guy waiting around for an autograph. That stuff is pathetic.

You mean the fans booed that same Joe who wanted to come to this franchise when NO OTHER Legitimate player would come? The same Joe who played in front of crowds of 1700 before making this playoff run and left it on the floor nightly for these fans. The same fans who had NEVER got behind the Hawks in a meaningful way until 2 years ago. These fans are not innocent or rather rhey don't have a right to boo this man. Joe was wrong for saying what he said, but can you imagine the frustration he feels. For the last 5 years, he has given everything he had to this organization and these fans and just because he's not having a great series, they boo him? Joe stayed the course with this organization when our ownership mess fell apart at his feet. Joe played and was a 4 time allstar and Olympic candidate for this organization when back home his fanbase wasn't worth a damn and his hometown newspaper couldn't cover a water spill.

JJ endured and he is probably going to be gone.. and maybe 2 times a year, he may come back.. and we we will probably be in the midst of mediocrity because we can't appreciate a good thing when we have it. But you know what Atlanta fans will do.... BOOO...

Stop it. These guys play for the paycheck and not the people.

It's not like Joe came here because he felt terrible for a fan base that hasn't seen winning in a while. He came to prove to himself and his own ego that he could be the man. NBA players are selfish people. It's always more money, more spotlight, more shot attempts.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Joe Johnson has been booed in two straight playoff games. The fans pay their money to see a superstar not Tito. It's like paying 10-15 dollars to see a new vintage Deniro flick but end up seeing a movie starring one of the Jersey Shore dudes.

Like it or not ownership needs to listen to what the fans want if they want them coming to games. This is just how I put myself in the shoes of fans booing after seeing the team get blown out consistently and the face of the franchise struggling in what happens to be a contract year.

Yeah, what did the players give the fans that did show up in this series? The most lopsided series in NBA history. Couldn't even muster up ONE complete effort in 4 games. These lazy and uncaring players deserve to get booed. Anyone that losses as bad as they did in this series deserves to get booed.

I find it hard to entirely fault the players. This Woody offensive game plan doesnt work , and his rotating defense was exposed a series ago by the Bucks. You can have the best fighting soldiers , but arm them with cap guns and they gonna get killed , which is what happened . I would love to see management get a proven winner , resign Joe to a reasonable contract , and add a few pieces , ( center ) . If I was a coach , I would love to step into a situation like Atlanta with the talent they have .

I dont compare Boston fans and Atlanta fans. One set shows up to all the games all the time and others dont.

This is not true -- look up the attendance numbers from before they bought their championship team. Very very middling, like the Hawks.

• Moderators

A couple bad or un-clutch performances would be one thing, but Joe, still potentially "the face of this franchise" for the next 6 years, has been M.I.A. pretty much since Game 4 of the Milwaukee series. In the town that still remembers Michael Vick's middle finger quite vividly, Joe and any future ATL "star" must learn to be more selective with their words and actions, especially when his team is underwhelming at historic levels. Joe and any future star must also learn that spoken/Tweeted mistakes must be made up immediately with improved performance (not "effort", "performance") in the games that follow.

We have a meager fanbase that wants something to cheer, and the playoffs are crucial opportunities to build the fanbase in the community and beyond. When the team has to beg and plead people to pay $$$ and show up at Philips, they cannot promise a victorious outcome, but they should be able to promise that they'll adjust at some point during the game to a literal beatdown. The boos that rained down later in Game 4 had nothing to do with Joe's comments, but by the clear evidence that a team with four potential All-Stars has no coaches or leaders capable of adjusting their approach on either end of the floor. How this team repeatedly came out from timeouts and halftime breaks with WTF concepts of plays set the tone for the fans' moody blues throughout. Undoubtedly, there were first-time Hawks fans there at Games 3 and 4 that are considering becoming last-time fans now, and with good reason. The die-hards amongst us are right to voice their displeasure toward this team's "effort" for that reason alone, and Joe would be wrong to assume that this is all about Joe.

Fans are already rubbed raw by a local media that might as well have movie critics reviewing the games, a dismissive national media that is all too eager to make a laughingstock about Atlanta's capacities as a 4-team "sports town"... and one epic letdown after another in the postseasons, no matter what sport we're talking about. The most storied Hawks playoff game ever among its fans was a loss, for goodness sake. The Hawks were by no means the favorites in this series, but the historic drubbing from this series was just another unnecessary disappointment to add to the pile. For Joe, Josh, Woody and company, the unnerving feeling that lingers should come from memories of what happened on the floor this past week, not in the stands.

One shout-out to the gang over in Section 118, y'all were flat-out AWESOME the entire playoffs, hopefully the future face of fandom in Atlanta. Also to the whole Philips Arena crew, I think they're as good in adding entertainment value to games as anybody in the NBA.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like Joe and i'm fine with him being re-signed but you're making it sound like coming to Atlanta was a selfless sacrifice. We paid him huge money and gave him an opportunity that no other team was offering. Joe has been great for the most part but he was brought here to be a leader. Leading is easy when things are going well. When you get your *ss knocked down is when you earn your paycheck as a leader. The best Joe could come up with is 'i don't care if the fans show up'? He should have said what Marvin said and maybe it would have rallied the team a little bit. Not insulting the fans is pretty much rule #1. The fact that it came from the team leader in the midst of an historic playoff crapfest makes it really hard to swallow.

Profiling people is a very dangerous thing.

We can and will strongly object when one group of people are talked bad about because of who they are.

The English, the Irish, the Black, the Indian, the Oriental, even the Red Neck. Say, "All these people are -----."

and you are sure to get called on this.

Joe Johnson has made the mistake. With his comments, he grouped ALL fans together. Doesn't matter to

him, if we are to believe what he said, what some fans might say or do. We are all in the same pot, as far

as he is concerned. We have ALL been profiled by Joe Johnson.

Love the Hawks? Hate the Hawks? At the game? At home, watching on TV? Completely missed the game

because of something beyond your control? Doesn't matter. You're a fan, so this load of stuff is for you. Like

it or lump it. Every poster here is covered by this. No exceptions.

All the boos weren't for JJ. Then, he opened mouth, insurted foot. NOW! Here's your sign - - - - Boo!!

No JJ. Not all Hawk fans booed the team. And, not all the boo's were for you. But, you took it personal.

You took it upon yourself to profile all of us.

The question, "What star would come here after the way JJ was treated tonight?"

Answer: If no other NBA franchise ever had their players react in this manner after a poor preformance - -

If Atlanta was the only city that ever did this - - No one would want to come. But, the horrible truth is, there

isn't a city with a NBA team that would simply stand and cheer after what happened. Fans are no different

here than anywhere else. We all want the best effort from "our" players. That's what we paid our hard earned

money for. To get less isn't right.

:cant believe:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I like Joe and i'm fine with him being re-signed but you're making it sound like coming to Atlanta was a selfless sacrifice. We paid him huge money and gave him an opportunity that no other team was offering. Joe has been great for the most part but he was brought here to be a leader. Leading is easy when things are going well. When you get your *ss knocked down is when you earn your paycheck as a leader. The best Joe could come up with is 'i don't care if the fans show up'? He should have said what Marvin said and maybe it would have rallied the team a little bit. Not insulting the fans is pretty much rule #1. The fact that it came from the team leader in the midst of an historic playoff crapfest makes it really hard to swallow.

We offered other stars that same money... Dampiere, KMart, etc

Joe gets paid a lot of money lets not forget that unless you dont think 10+ million dollars a year was not enough for him to suffer through us while taking all the shots he wants ? He didnt endure this for free he was well paid and failed to deliver or better yet failed to show up for the biggest series of his career and then when the fans was disappointed about not losing but getting STOMPED he told them he didnt care if they came to the games which by the way is how the team raises enough money to pay him .

There is no defense for Joe ,his actions or his play right now .

• Premium Member

Joe gets paid a lot of money lets not forget that unless you dont think 10+ million dollars a year was not enough for him to suffer through us while taking all the shots he wants ? He didnt endure this for free he was well paid and failed to deliver or better yet failed to show up for the biggest series of his career and then when the fans was disappointed about not losing but getting STOMPED he told them he didnt care if they came to the games which by the way is how the team raises enough money to pay him .

There is no defense for Joe ,his actions or his play right now .

Actually, Joe got paid a lot of money, but at the same time, he put this team on the map. Honestly, we'd probably be a non-playoff team still talking about the lottery and next year without Joe. So put yourself in Joe's shoes. He built this. Regardless of how much he was paid... He built this. He built this when there was No fans coming out. So can you imagine after having built this.. with no fans... to have those people come and boo you during the middle of a very hard series and a very hard time. Nobody here knows how Joe's thumb really is. Joe is a warrior that goes out and plays over 40 minutes a game and rarely misses games. How can these fans be unappreciative NOW?

Actually, Joe got paid a lot of money, but at the same time, he put this team on the map. Honestly, we'd probably be a non-playoff team still talking about the lottery and next year without Joe. So put yourself in Joe's shoes. He built this. Regardless of how much he was paid... He built this. He built this when there was No fans coming out. So can you imagine after having built this.. with no fans... to have those people come and boo you during the middle of a very hard series and a very hard time. Nobody here knows how Joe's thumb really is. Joe is a warrior that goes out and plays over 40 minutes a game and rarely misses games. How can these fans be unappreciative NOW?

This team aint on the map it just embarrassed itself to the entire country and thats not the type of "on the map " that I think anyone wants to be apart of . He didnt build it by himself and you are giving him way too much credit while at the same time passing off blame to everyone else you cant have it both ways .

You cant say he built it then wit it falls apart its everyones elses fault . If he built it then hes responsible for the worst sweep in nba history and deserves everything he gets.

Now does that mean I think he sucks as a player ? Heck no but the old congratulations because he got us to the first rd bit wouldnt fly anywhere . He has played exactly the way your words come off. As a player who think the city should be grateful for first rd exits while paying him superstar money because for some reason the city doesnt deserve a title nor should it expect one . It should expect first rd exits anything more than that and you are being ungrateful for him taking us to the first rd.

You get blown out in 4 straight playoff games and you think they shouldnt booed ? You add to that telling the fans he dont care if we show up and he shouldnt be booed ? You add to that him turning down our extension offer because he flt he deserved more and this is what he gives us and he shouldnt be booed ?

Joe right now owes us an apology he represents the Atlanta Hawks and his play no matter how little he thinks of us doesnt represent us the way we deserve to be represented on a national stage .

Its like taking us to the prom and embarrassing us in front of the entire school and then telling us we should be grateful that you took us at all.

• Like 1

.298 FG% .176 3p% 73.7 FT% 4.5 RPG 3.8 APG 0.8 SPG 2.5 TO/PG 12.8 PPG

32 FG% .22% 3p% 78.6 FT % 3.0 RPG 3.0 AST 1.2 SPG 2.8 TO/PG 11.8 PPG

First one is Joe Johnson, im going to let you guys guess the second guys numbers threw a 4 game series so far thats goin on ..

also he is makin 19,795,712 this year alone close to 20 million and i can bet his fan arent booin him , and he also doesnt have any type of thumb or hand or any injury that we know of , its simply his team has legit players and a legit system around him or they wouldnt win either

and most would say the hawks are better with this player