• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Life After Iso-Joe

Johnnybravo4

Barring a miracle sign and trade, we will probably lose Joe Johnson for nothing. (My guess is to Chicago) However everything isn't all lost. With Joe gone we will be 7-8 million under the cap with both of our exceptions. Therefore we will have the ability to make some moves, while not sexy, but will keep us a playoff team why we wait for salary space.

1. Sign John Salmons. He is a free agent and can be had for the leftover Joe money. Stick him at SF and we improve our playmaking ability. He isn't a superstar, but he is a better more aggressive scorer than Marvin ever will be.

2. Draft Gani Lawal. He should still be around when we pick. He can serve as the athletic backup to Josh that we didn't get with Joe Smith. With his long wingspan and jumping ability I think he could be the player that we thought Solo would be.

3. Bring over Cenk and Childress. Give Childress the MLE and Cenk Mo's money (Since Mo will probably leave in FA) I think that Cenk will give us that Manu type of game off the bench and would serve as Craw's backup. Childress can reprise his old role as super 6th Man.

Now if we stop there we'd have a pretty decent squad

Teague/Bibby

Crawford/Chills/Cenk

Salmons/Marvin

Smoove/Lawal

Horford/Zaza

But there is one more move, while controversial could keep us in the top of the East and more importantly would fill seats immediately.

Marvin/Bibby for Gilbert Arenas

His salary is huge and his problems even bigger, but you have to admit that if he is healthy and his mind is right, this city would love his type of play. Imagine this lineup

Arenas/Teague

Crawford/Cenk

Salmons/Chills

Smoove/Lawal

Horford/Zaza

Now some may argue that we still wouldn't have a center...but honestly, what center could we possibly get with no capspace, expiring contracts, high draft pics and superstar players? I mean even if we had a Marcus Camby, Howard would destroy his *ss. Or a Przbilla or a Z, or anyone not named Andrew Bynum.

The only way we beat the Magic is to outrun and out shoot their *ss. And who in the world could hang with the team above in transition? And Washington would love to get rid of Arenas...especially if they could get a young player and rid themselves of half of Arenas' salary in 2 years.

In the end this fanbase can't take another total tear down and rebuild. We need some sizzle. Discuss.

Childress has a cap hold for like 10 mil or something. With that, we are over the salary cap by 1 mil. We aren't signing a damn thing if Joe walks unless we rescind the rights to Childress or trade some people at a loss on salary (to a team under the cap).

Childress has a cap hold for like 10 mil or something. With that, we are over the salary cap by 1 mil. We aren't signing a damn thing if Joe walks unless we rescind the rights to Childress or trade some people at a loss on salary (to a team under the cap).

Which is why he wants to bring Chilldress back...to relieve that cap hold. Overseas Childress is 10 mil against the cap...in a Hawks uniform he would be about 5...in another team's uniform he would be a draft pick. We can sign and trade Chilldress to the losers of the Joe/Lebron/Wade/Bosh lottery for their picks - scrubs and use that money for good instead of evil.

and use that money for good instead of evil.

That one line was worth your response.

As for the rest, fair enough. That's not how I read his post to be honest. The first step is to sign Salmons which is automatically a problem unless we do something about Childress first or use the MLE (I keep forgetting that we might be able to get him for that). And the fact that the post said we will be under the cap by 6-7 mil if Joe walks, which is not the case without dealing with Childress.

• Premium Member

If Joe leaves, I think we seriously need to think about a restructuring of our team... Meaning trading Josh Smith/Marvin/Jamal Crawford.... Without Joe's offense this team will look a lot more like the playoff version of the Hawks than the regular season version. We will need to find a legit go to scorer from someplace (which will mean trading Josh), and find a defensive presence that can somewhat fill Josh Smith's shoes as well... Losing Joe will be a major setback if it happens. We need to ADD talent to the team not subtract it. Keeping Joe, finding a new coach, and grooming Teague/trading for an adequate PG should be our Plan A... If keeping Joe doesn't happen we are gonna need a much more drastic plan if we ever hope to make it to the conference semis again any time soon.

If Joe leaves, I think we seriously need to think about a restructuring of our team... Meaning trading Josh Smith/Marvin/Jamal Crawford.... Without Joe's offense this team will look a lot more like the playoff version of the Hawks than the regular season version. We will need to find a legit go to scorer from someplace (which will mean trading Josh), and find a defensive presence that can somewhat fill Josh Smith's shoes as well... Losing Joe will be a major setback if it happens. We need to ADD talent to the team not subtract it. Keeping Joe, finding a new coach, and grooming Teague/trading for an adequate PG should be our Plan A... If keeping Joe doesn't happen we are gonna need a much more drastic plan if we ever hope to make it to the conference semis again any time soon.

Honesty I think that Crawford is a better scorer than Joe in that Crawford isn't afraid to take it into the paint.