• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Breaking News: WOODY IS GONE

GameTime

I'll wait and see who they hire before I get excited.

But... I said a lot of nasty things about Woody over the years. Most of it I didn't mean. Truthfully it's sad that a guy has to lose his job for us to be happy.. But that's the way it goes.

Me also Hots. I just hope he saved half his salary during his tenure here and judging from the suits he wore his 1st two seasons, I would have to assume he did. All kidding aside, the guy has made millions over the last 6 seasons; he and his family should be just fine if they just stayed away from the damn stock market.

Good luck Woody; no hard feelings. We just need a coach who gives a damn about offense as well as defense.

• Premium Member

Are you referring to trades or contract negotiations? And which way are you implying, that in general transactions take a long time or very little time?

In general, transactions take a long time - or at least much longer than public media reports make it appear - because most transactions are discussed behind closed doors for a long time. Lots of transactions are discussed, dropped for weeks or even months at a time, only to be revived later.

Won't deny that Sund takes his time more than most, though.

Sund does tend to take his time a bit more, but it's not as if he's been caught standing still more often than not. Bibby and Zaza were wrapped up almost as soon as the free agent period started last year, and Marvin's deal was "sketched out" weeks before it was finalized.

I must not be remembering things correctly. For some reason I thought Bibby and Zaza took a while on negotiations, but no I am wrong. The quickness of the decision just seems odd to me, Sund doesn't move fast. This just seems out of character but I could be thinking of this in a wrong way.

• Premium Member

Sad day to be a Hawks fan. The man was never given a PG.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Woody, the one thing that this fan base CANNOT take away from you, is that it was YOU who had a hand in making this franchise relevant again. You maybe couldn't take us to championship level, but then again, no coach in Atlanta Hawk history hasn't been able to do it either. So thanks for being a part of the organization for the last 6 years. When NO ONE wanted this coaching job, you took it. And kept a level head throughout all of the ownership BS.

Good luck wherever you go Woody. And thanks.

This song is dedicated to you.

I agree with your post. I think Woody Helped this franchise. We may be missing him very soon.

That is not in Sund's nature to make a move this fast. Four days? Recall how long he took with negotiations between Zaza, Bibby, and Smoove. Not to mention Childress is still waiting, and if you remember Ray Allen a few years ago that dragged on a lot longer than it should have.

Sund is notoriously patient. There are others within the organization that are impatient. I find it hard to believe Sund would be this fast given his past negotiations/decisions. Although Woodson was never really Sund's coach so it is possible that he never wanted him in the first place. The timing of the action is what puzzles me.

I think it was such a no-brainer decision for the Hawks and Woody to go in different directions that Sund didn't want to delay the inevitable. Not good for either party.

WojYahooNBA

Strong candidates for Hawks job will likely include Sam Mitchell, Utah assistant Ty Corbin, and Portland assistant Monty Williams.

I seen Sam at a couple of Hawks games this season. He's better offensively than Woody, but defensively, he was just average.

• Premium Member

I must not be remembering things correctly. For some reason I thought Bibby and Zaza took a while on negotiations, but no I am wrong. The quickness of the decision just seems odd to me, Sund doesn't move fast. This just seems out of character but I could be thinking of this in a wrong way.

My impression is that Sund has a priority list. He moves quickly on the things at the top of his priority list and on things that need urgent attention. Things that he considers less important and/or less urgent, he lets slide. Thus, he didn't move quickly through Chills' negotiations because he prioritized Smoove higher,* and he didn't move to sign other teams' free agents last summer because he prioritized locking up our own free agents. He also didn't see a particular need to move quickly on Smoove because he was restricted and the Hawks were probably going to match almost any offer for him. I don't agree with that strategy, but it seems to be his M.O. when it comes to RFAs.

From that perspective, I'm not surprised that he announced a decision on Woody quickly. I also am guessing that JJ will have his first serious offer from the Hawks as soon as the free agency period starts. I would be (pleasantly) surprised, though, if we saw movement on other fronts (trade, MLE signings, etc) while JJ's situation is unresolved. And that's my concern.

* Although I would be shocked if Chills' agents didn't have at least a general idea from preliminary negotiations about high the Hawks would go - and that it would be well short of what he could make overseas. Again, lunch meetings and phone calls between agents and management have to go on for awhile before a formal written contract offer is drafted.

Edited by niremetal