• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks aren't planning to spend for coach

GameTime

• Moderators

I agree that ASG is probably making a mistake by going for Amateur Hour yet again. I'm a fan of many of these career-assistant-coach nominees, just not for this team at this stage of development.

I need to see evidence of not only skills with X's and O's, but a demonstrated reputation of conducting foot-to-a$$ resuscitation when getting young players on the right track. If I'm ASG, and if I'm ever going to spend above the NBA average on anything, Head Coach is the place to spend it. The message to ASG's fans should not be, "We want someone who will get us to the next level... but we're not gonna spend a heckuva lot to do it!"

~lw3

No Northcyde, your view is pretty extreme here. Only the pot smokers thought an expensive coach like Avery Johnson was gonna walk through that door.

What people have been crying for so far is:

An UPGRADE at coach (everyone knew we weren't gonna spend big on a new coach)

And a better offensive system

Most realists want Joe back (but only under a re-tooled offense). The people who want him to walk are the loud minority because of the implications of Joe doing so.

How Sund plans to do these things remains to be seen. But I will tell you one thing: Getting rid of Woodson was the first step in the right direction.

Truth . . people wanted Woody gone . . period. Sure, an upgrade was wanted ( usually a named coach who had playoff success in the past ), but people just wante him gone, no matter who we brought in.

They didn't care if it was Whoopi Goldberg in that movie in which she coached the Knicks. They wanted him OUT!!

LOL . . people wanted Eddie Jordan here because of his "Princeton offense". Well . . you see where that scheme got him in Philly.

( But "ohhhh . . those players can't shoot." )

Exactly. Which is why you need both the coaching and the players for a scheme to function well. Bringing in a guy like Dan Majerle or Ty Corbin will more than likely not solve anything here.

We needed a PG who could run the show, far worse than we needed a coaching change. But what's done is done. Woody will land on his feet somewhere, and we'll hire an assistant coach and ask him to elevate the level of play of the Hawks.

There are several reports out there that the ASG is going to get a new partner, either with the Hawks, the Thrashers, or both teams. Which ever of those options plays out, it means the ASG actually will have more money to spend on both teams.

For those that think the Thrashers are moving, think again. They will stay in Atlanta, esp with an influx of cash.

With the new investor, don't be surprised if a higher priced coach isn't considered at least. Not that cost equates directly with success. I think Gearon is smart enough to get a sense that the Hawks need something to provide a shot into the arm of the franchise. The fans don't yet buy into this team. A new, and known, HC makes some sense for the team.

Frankly, I have no idea who Sund will recommend to Gearon and co, but I do expect a better HC to walk through that proverbial door than Woodson sometime this summer.

Truth . . people wanted Woody gone . . period. Sure, an upgrade was wanted ( usually a named coach who had playoff success in the past ), but people just wante him gone, no matter who we brought in.

They didn't care if it was Whoopi Goldberg in that movie in which she coached the Knicks. They wanted him OUT!!

LOL . . people wanted Eddie Jordan here because of his "Princeton offense". Well . . you see where that scheme got him in Philly.

Exactly. Which is why you need both the coaching and the players for a scheme to function well. Bringing in a guy like Dan Majerle or Ty Corbin will more than likely not solve anything here.

We needed a PG who could run the show, far worse than we needed a coaching change. But what's done is done. Woody will land on his feet somewhere, and we'll hire an assistant coach and ask him to elevate the level of play of the Hawks.

I'd rather take a chance on someone new, then sit through another year of watching one-on-one basketball. I'm not saying, at this point, it would be better....but I would be willing to see someone fresh that has some idea of what to do offensively. 6 years was enough.

• Premium Member

Which means theyre going to hire yet another inexperienced guy to be the head coach. That's no better than keeping Woody. I'm sick of guys who haven't proven squat. You fire a guy because you don't think he can get the team to the next level... Who do you hire next? Well, a guy that hasn't taken a team anywhere. Brilliant. These owners are f***ing clowns.

X1000

What will the Hawks record be next year? (Since you're psychic and all that.)

• Like 1