• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Should we Trade Big Al?

Johnnybravo4

While we argue whether to move Smoove or resign JJ, the truth is that our best move is probably moving Al Horford. As painful as that may be we have to accept the fact that Horford at the 5 involves us in too many mismatches on the defensive end. The best that Horford can hope to be is another Amare and it is obvious through the Suns' failure that winning with 6'9 centers is pretty much impossible.

Horford is an All-star and has a reasonable salary. He would probably be pretty easy to move for a good big man. My plan would be this. Send Horford and Marvin and Bibby to L.A. for Bynum and Odom. This would get us a big center, allow Smoove to stay at the 4 and Odom can play the 3. L.A. does this trade because it allows them to regain some youth and athletecism, all while only losing 2 pretty much expendable players. Getting Bibby buys them another 2 years of solid backup pg play.

Assuming we resign JJ the lineup is

Teague

JJ

Odom

Smoove

Bynum

There is a risk that Bynum could never stay healthy but I think the upside is great enough to take the risk. It is the equivalent of when Boston moved a solid player in Jefferson for an older injury prone Garnett.

Edited by Johnnybravo4

Bibby / Marvin / Horford for Odom / Bynum does not work salary wise any way.

Plus I would rather trade Smoove then Horford.

Horford is not a mis match at all defensively as a PF. He has excellent perimeter defensive skills for a man his size.

Edited by coachx

How is Horford a mismatch at PF ? He can stay infront many guards on the perimeter.

What can we get for Horford's $5 mill salary ? There are not too many other good players making that low of a salary.

There are many more trade matches to Smooves $11 mill salary then Horford's $5 mill.

Why trade the guy with the good attitude and keep the one with the bad attitude ?

I would trade Smoove before Horford regardless of salary but the fact is Smoove's salary simply gives us many more options then does Horford's salary does.

I meant to say at the 5. And like I said in another thread. Smoove is our Derek Jeter. If you move him it better be for a superstar, if not, it doesn't matter if you win 60 games, no one will come.

I meant to say at the 5. And like I said in another thread. Smoove is our Derek Jeter. If you move him it better be for a superstar, if not, it doesn't matter if you win 60 games, no one will come.

I disagree.

I think Smoove runs off just as many as he attacts.

He was an embarrasment with his antics in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I disagree.

I think Smoove runs off just as many as he attacts.

He was an embarrasment with his antics in the playoffs.

If you are from the A, then you love Josh Smith. Look in the Arena and see how many #5 jerseys you see as opposed to any other jersey. It isn't even close. He is polarizing like Mike Vick for sure, but just like when the Falcons lost Vick the Dome isn't as fired up as it used to be, even though Matt Ryan may be a "better" QB. Everyone likes a winner, but winning is also better when its "your" guy. Josh is our guy.

If you are from the A, then you love Josh Smith. Look in the Arena and see how many #5 jerseys you see as opposed to any other jersey. It isn't even close. He is polarizing like Mike Vick for sure, but just like when the Falcons lost Vick the Dome isn't as fired up as it used to be, even though Matt Ryan may be a "better" QB. Everyone likes a winner, but winning is also better when its "your" guy. Josh is our guy.

Not necessarily.

Josh is not our guy. I see more Horford and Johnson jerseys than Josh Smith's jersey. He's not a polarizing figure like Mike Vick because most people's problem with Mike Vick was never his heart. You can say what you want about Vick, but there's no question that he wanted to give his all and win the game. I'm born and raised in Metro Atlanta, and would prefer we trade Smith over Horford.

Not necessarily.

Josh is not our guy. I see more Horford and Johnson jerseys than Josh Smith's jersey. He's not a polarizing figure like Mike Vick because most people's problem with Mike Vick was never his heart. You can say what you want about Vick, but there's no question that he wanted to give his all and win the game. I'm born and raised in Metro Atlanta, and would prefer we trade Smith over Horford.

Metro Atlanta? Mcdonough don't count man. You don't see any Horford jerseys in the store. In fact you can't even buy Horford jerseys in a Champs or Footlocker. They only sell 2's and 5's. If you see more Horford and JJ jerseys then you must sit in CNN Center, because in the arena, its all about #5.

Well, the last time a situation like this came about, the Hawks paid a dear price for it. I know that will be the first and last time I compare Smith to Nique but still. If they move Smith, it had better be for a star player who can get them over the hump. If they move him for a 'go along to get along' type guy (i.e. Dalembert and scrubs), only to go 44-38 and get sent home in the first round, it could be disastrous.

This thread is not going no where guys. There are fans who want to trade Smith or trade Horford. Neither really need to be traded unless the ROI is very high.

Well, the last time a situation like this came about, the Hawks paid a dear price for it. I know that will be the first and last time I compare Smith to Nique but still. If they move Smith, it had better be for a star player who can get them over the hump. If they move him for a 'go along to get along' type guy (i.e. Dalembert and scrubs), only to go 44-38 and get sent home in the first round, it could be disastrous.

Exactly. Smoove is the ONLY reason we are ever in any highlight package. I can't even think of a Sportcenter top 10 that the Hawks were in that didn't involve Smoove (other than Craw beating Phoenix.)

This thread is not going no where guys. There are fans who want to trade Smith or trade Horford. Neither really need to be traded unless the ROI is very high.

Thats my point. I believe that we could get Bynum and Odom for Horford/Marvin and Bibby. I think that a Bynum, Smoove, and Odom front line is better than anything we could get by dealing Smoove.

I'm from the "A " and don't like men that like boys.

• Like 1

You're a douche bag for making such a stupid comment. That's why Smoove isn't going anywhere, and you're gonna have to get over it, if not find another team to support, it's that easy.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Also it's funny that people act like AL just dominated in the playoffs, when he only had a few good games here and there...

You're a douche bag for making such a stupid comment.

I assume your talking to me.

Maybe I should have said man that acts like a baby, rather then boy.

He was an embarrasment no matter what town he is from.

Smoove is not the Atlanta Hawks.

Your the one who is a fan of a player over the team.

Edited by coachx

Thats my point. I believe that we could get Bynum and Odom for Horford/Marvin and Bibby. I think that a Bynum, Smoove, and Odom front line is better than anything we could get by dealing Smoove.

Finanically, it wouldn't work. To be honest, if it did, we would suck. That's a bad trade.

Metro Atlanta? Mcdonough don't count man. You don't see any Horford jerseys in the store. In fact you can't even buy Horford jerseys in a Champs or Footlocker. They only sell 2's and 5's. If you see more Horford and JJ jerseys then you must sit in CNN Center, because in the arena, its all about #5.

Metro Atlanta as in..inside of 285. Like Decatur.

That's BS.

Anyways, who cares about highlight plays when your "highlight" player acts like a punk in the most important games of the season ? How long are we going to watch him cry about calls and take plays off ? I highly doubt he'll ever live up to his potential, so why dont we go get a player that's going to play real post defense and actually rebound ?

• Like 1

It does not work under the salary rules.....for the 2nd time.