• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Avery J....what does it take?

DJlaysitup

Mo just opted out and we can slice a bit off the low side. Granted we are poor ($$-wise) but we can certainly ditch a few low contracts to get from a $2M for Woody to a $4M for AJ. The money eventually comes out of the same pockets. As far as JJ goes - we made a fair offer (6-90) and if he wants it fine - if not maybe we up it a tad or let him go...if he wants to go he will go anyway. Most of our 3/4 to 1 million guys aren't doing anything anyway. Sweep up a couple hundred grand here and there and pay AJ (IMHO).

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Mo just opted out and we can slice a bit off the low side. Granted we are poor ($$-wise) but we can certainly ditch a few low contracts to get from a $2M for Woody to a $4M for AJ. The money eventually comes out of the same pockets. As far as JJ goes - we made a fair offer (6-90) and if he wants it fine - if not maybe we up it a tad or let him go...if he wants to go he will go anyway. Most of our 3/4 to 1 million guys aren't doing anything anyway. Sweep up a couple hundred grand here and there and pay AJ (IMHO).

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

This is how I see it.

It would take another owner. MY personal want is Ted Turner, Thomas O. Cordy or Anne Cox Chambers. There's also room for a few more investors like The Dream, Usher, Jermaine Dupree, Ludicris... etc The Hawks should involve some of these younger entrepreneurs/entertainers because they can bring in fresh ideas as far as getting fans to participate. Once the new owners are added, then you can get an Avery Johnson at 4-6 Million per year.

I think just as important as finding a new coach is finding a recognizable coach. These owners have to realize that with the amount of times we were on National TV last year, we have made ourselves more marketable. That means that the Hawks can sign for a better TV contract. That means that the Hawks can push that money to the gate better and lower ticket prices. There's a balance between the gate and the profit from the gate. If the Hawks tickets cost a family of four 44 dollars, then you can expect that Hawks homegames will be full if we have a winning team. You don't jack up ticket prices to make more at the gate, you lower them and make good deals. The Hawks should be selling 6 games packages at a reasonable rate. I think the lesson that these owners have to learn is that you can't go screwing with ticket prices when you don't have a fanbase. I know the 2008 playoffs made it seem like you had a fanbase, but the truth is that it didn't quite happen and you can see that during the regular season attendance. Choosing the right coach now is a huge move because it will make fans and free agents believe or not believe. Many fans want to think that these owners are poor and don't know how to run a team. I believe that these guys should be getting money and can definitely afford whatever they want.

• Moderators

Avery will have to be within the top 20th percentile among coaches' base salaries. His salary will have to be guaranteed over the next 3 years and he will want to be fireproof for at least 2 seasons, no matter how rough the waters get.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

First let me clarify my 1st choice is Tyrone Corbin. Im ok with Avery Johnson ( prolly my 2nd choice) but I dont buy into alot of the hype on him. That said I dont think money is the main obstacle in getting him. Dont get me wrong money will be a huge issue with other teams possibly bidding for his services including his home town team. I think the main problem will be HE IS NOT A YES MAN and MIKE GEARON LOVES YES MEN. Avery is a guy who will stir the pot a little and ASG WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT TYPE OF GUY. :nono:

Many fans want to think that these owners are poor and don't know how to run a team. I believe that these guys should be getting money and can definitely afford whatever they want.

I do not think that is what fans want to think. But it is the perceived image. And if they do spend some money; it should be on another starter and a coach. They have to make a splash in the media with more than a coach IMO if they want to build up a solid fan base.

Lowering ticket prices and advertising those deals, like Blank did, is a good move; but him signing Vick for 100 mill is what made the splash. JJ aint Vick in terms of marketing. These owners need to bring in another all-star or at least a almost all-star like Harris to not just make our team better but to crank up the hype as well.

It works ..... add another all-star and the hype builds almost by itself.

• Premium Member

I do not think that is what fans want to think. But it is the perceived image. And if they do spend some money; it should be on another starter and a coach. They have to make a splash in the media with more than a coach IMO if they want to build up a solid fan base.

Lowering ticket prices and advertising those deals, like Blank did, is a good move; but him signing Vick for 100 mill is what made the splash. JJ aint Vick in terms of marketing. These owners need to bring in another all-star or at least a almost all-star like Harris to not just make our team better but to crank up the hype as well.

It works ..... add another all-star and the hype builds almost by itself.

We agree... on a few points here.

They have to make a splash. You have to do the lowering of ticket prices... especially in this economy. I know the gate is always a good thing to try to capitalize on but you're talking about a team with a historically poor crowd support. Raising ticket prices on a crowd that have to choose between the downtown fight for parking, the neighborhood, and the possibility of not being fully entertained for your dollar is a bad deal economically. One of the things that Cuban did in Dallas was that he made going to the game an experience. He made it so that you're rooting for the team to win. He built that fan base up from nothing. He also made it a haven for players. His players love the accommodations at the arena. He probably even spruced up press row a bit. IF the press is happy, they will report happier and the fans will have a positive voice instead of a negative one. IN Atlanta, we have one major paper and the Hawks reports are normally negative. The ASG has to get some kind of wrangle on that. Not by controlling the beat reporter, but by finding a way to make those other guys be more positive in print.

You can forget Harris. He's NJ. They didn't get Wall.

Plus, I don't think that's where we need the most help. It would be nice, but we need more help offensively in the post.

We agree... on a few points here.

They have to make a splash. You have to do the lowering of ticket prices... especially in this economy. I know the gate is always a good thing to try to capitalize on but you're talking about a team with a historically poor crowd support. Raising ticket prices on a crowd that have to choose between the downtown fight for parking, the neighborhood, and the possibility of not being fully entertained for your dollar is a bad deal economically. One of the things that Cuban did in Dallas was that he made going to the game an experience. He made it so that you're rooting for the team to win. He built that fan base up from nothing. He also made it a haven for players. His players love the accommodations at the arena. He probably even spruced up press row a bit. IF the press is happy, they will report happier and the fans will have a positive voice instead of a negative one. IN Atlanta, we have one major paper and the Hawks reports are normally negative. The ASG has to get some kind of wrangle on that. Not by controlling the beat reporter, but by finding a way to make those other guys be more positive in print.

You can forget Harris. He's NJ. They didn't get Wall.

Plus, I don't think that's where we need the most help. It would be nice, but we need more help offensively in the post.

We agree on everything you just said to be honest. Post help is just as important as PG help. We really are weak in both areas. Probably cannot fix both in one season of moves; but like you said it would be nice. I will take either and be estatic :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Avery will have to be within the top 20th percentile among coaches' base salaries. His salary will have to be guaranteed over the next 3 years and he will want to be fireproof for at least 2 seasons, no matter how rough the waters get.

~lw3

OK - fine.kickcan.gif

So funny. So depressing.

I don't see it as depressing at all. So a proven coach wants more money than the previous guy who had no system and wilted at playoff time. Makes sense to me - OK, fine. And of course the new coach also wants some breathing room to make this thing work (multi-year contract)...makes sense to me....OK, fine. He may even want a say in putting the roster together...OK, fine.

If he wants Dove Bars in the locker room before the game....OK, fine.

• Like 1

The depressing part is that he won't get that in Atlanta.

Yep..prolly right H. kickcan.gif

(but it's fun to dream)...and even though AJ is a New Orleans guy, Atlanta is the NY of the south. He could really make something here. Lotsa folks say "Atlanta isn't a B-Ball town" or "The ATL sports fans s_ck"...total BS IMO. You build it they will come and you will get national respect.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

Yep..prolly right H. kickcan.gif

(but it's fun to dream)

If they are willing to put up $90M for JJ, I don't rule out the possibility they would put up more money for our next coach to get someone more established - particularly when that money would not be subject to the luxury tax and would be less than you are paying Zaza.

If they are willing to put up $90M for JJ, I don't rule out the possibility they would put up more money for our next coach to get someone more established - particularly when that money would not be subject to the luxury tax and would be less than you are paying Zaza.

Thank you AHF.....and by the way (OT)...you being a KY guy and all...did you have any idea Rondo would do what he is doing? I remember semi-arguing about whether Rondo was even good. At the time he was a big handed - non shooting - semi lost PG - (well to be fair, I thought he should have been a cornerback)

• Moderators

Thank you AHF.....and by the way (OT)...you being a KY guy and all...did you have any idea Rondo would do what he is doing? I remember semi-arguing about whether Rondo was even good. At the time he was a big handed - non shooting - semi lost PG - (well to be fair, I thought he should have been a cornerback)

Here is what we thought a few years ago!

Rondo definitely has problems with his jump shot much farther than consistency but he is more akin to Kidd or Ford (Mil) than Josh Childress, IMO. He is going to make a major impact in most games even when his offense isn't there and I think he is going to be a good starting NBA PG with the potential to be something special at that position. If he ends up as good as Gary Payton that would make him an amazing prospect because Payton is borderline basketball HOF, IMO.

He [Rondo] is definitely a talent and will be a good NBA PG, IMO.

In the one Kentucky game I saw this season, Rondo wasn't the guy bringing the ball up the court. His role seemed to be a penetrating shooting guard. I saw some talent, but it looked to me that he could stand some more experience at the college level.

Edited by AHF

It appears I will have a plate of crow the size of JJ's next contract to eat on Rajon Rondo, I never thought he would bust out like this. When is his contract up, any chance we can get him here :super:

It appears I will have a plate of crow the size of JJ's next contract to eat on Rajon Rondo, I never thought he would bust out like this. When is his contract up, any chance we can get him here :super:

Rondo just signed an extension in Nov. 5 years, 55 mil. I think Boston is ecstatic they locked him up at the beginning of the season, because he's worth a lot more now than he was in November....