• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Picks in Mock Drafts Following the Lottery

AHF

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/06/17/atlanta-hawks-lawal-gets-close-look-from-hawks/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Main points:

BC says Hawks are serious about Lawal..........gosh I hope he is just reaching there.

Jordan Crawford cancelled his workout with us for unknown reasons.

Prospects are reporting that the Hawks workouts are more focused on skill then matching prospects up for physical play.

Edited by coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/06/17/atlanta-hawks-lawal-gets-close-look-from-hawks/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Main points:

BC says Hawks are serious about Lawal..........gosh I hope he is just reaching there.

Prospects are reporting that the Hawks workouts are more focused on skill then matching prospects up for physical play.

To Lawal's credit he did come off as being knowledgeable about the Hawks's issues. However, his agent could have schooled him on those events.

• Moderators

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took Lawal.

I hope not. I would LOVE Favors but Lawal thoroughly underwhelmed me at Tech. No motor, no fire, and no real area in which he stood out.

This Dominique Jones guy looks really good.

I won't complain if that guy lands on our team

You mean the short 6'4'' SG with short arms and a pathetic 32'' max vertical.

Yawn..................pass on this one please guys. This is a college star who will be overwhelmed by more physically dominant players at the next level.

Edited by coachx

You mean the short 6'4'' SG with short arms and a pathetic 32'' max vertical.

Yawn..................pass on this one please guys. This is a college star who will be overwhelmed by more physically dominant players at the next level.

Try a 6'10" wingspan. Really I at least see a Rodney Stuckey in him.

Jones played in the Big East. The exact same thing was said about D-Wade playing in the C-USA.

Jones is alot stronger than Wade when he got out. And Wade's vert was a 35", while Jones is a 33".

Not that life changing considering Wade bench pressed 9 while Jones 19.

Edited by GameTime

Main points:

If you cannot pass, dribble, shoot, or have the handles to get to the bucket, there is not much sense in us drafting them at any guard/wing position. C/PFs are different but still need skills...

Try a 6'10" wingspan.

Actually its 6'9.25''

Jones played in the Big East. The exact same thing was said about D-Wade playing in the C-USA.

The Big East is the best college basketball conference in the land. I have no idea what your getting at here. No player is ever knocked for playing in the Big East basketball.

Jones is alot stronger than Wade when he got out. And Wade's vert was a 35", while Jones is a 33".

Jones max verticle was actually 32.5''.

The difference in max verticle reach is 11'5'' for Wade and 11'1.5'' for Jones.

For a guy like Jones, who makes a living at the FT line..........I think he is missing that extra lift needed at the next level.

The Flip Murry comparison you made is probably a very good one.

All I'm saying is that there is no way I'm taking Jones ahead of a bigger, more athletic wing, with just as much shooting skill, like the 6'6'' James Anderson.

Edited by coachx

NBA Draft.net now has Craig Brackin as our 1st round pick. Would you be upset with this pick? Looks like he has the tools? but just needs to add some size to his frame.

Not upset but his rebounding and defense is lacking. His outside shot is good as well as his ability to get his own shot. I think he would be a instant upgrade to Joe Smith offensively but needs a lot of fundamental work on the defensive end...

NBA Draft.net now has Craig Brackin as our 1st round pick. Would you be upset with this pick? Looks like he has the tools? but just needs to add some size to his frame.

I'm not a big fan of finess PFs. I want a bruiser or a shot blocker.......a defensive presence in the paint more then a finess guy.

All I'm saying is that there is no way I'm taking Jones ahead of a bigger, more athletic wing, with just as much shooting skill, like the 6'6'' James Anderson.

Though I am a bit scared at JA's mediocre handles I'm sure Teague can set him up. But yeah Anderson is gone before our pick.

• Moderators

I doubt it's who they'd want, but if so, trade down and get him later along with someone else. I'd rather his contract be non-guaranteed.

~lw3

You have to think the Hawks are considering trading the #24 pick.

If certain players are off the board it should be shopped heavily.

As long as they don't sell it then I'm fine.

I got a feeling that Pondexture could be Sund's safety net pick at 24. Hope is there other guys will drop.

The mocks I'm looking at this morning have some good guys going right before the Hawks.

Edited by coachx

I'd still prefer to see the Hawks trade back in the draft and take in multiple second round picks. Trevor Booker in particular I am high on. Vaszuez, Varnado, Pittman, Gallon, Collins, Zoubek, Prestes, and Torrance are all guys that I think would be great to have on low investment deals.

Edited by spotatl

I'd still prefer to see the Hawks trade back in the draft and take in multiple second round picks. Trevor Booker in particular I am high on. Vaszuez, Varnado, Pittman, Gallon, Collins, Zoubek, Prestes, and Torrance are all guys that I think would be great to have on low investment deals.

That would be great.

Varnado, Jordan, Zoubeck are 3 bigs I would gladly spend an early 2nd rounder on.

Edited by coachx