• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks & Shot Locations

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Hoopdata.com has allows you to look at a player's shot selection relative to the rest of the league.

Filtering for type of shot, efficiency, and whether the player was assisted in successful attempts allows you to find players with similar offensive styles. Some interesting results:

• Joe Johnson --> Monta Ellis (gets to the rim more, but Joe is more efficient)
  • Al Horford --> Carlos Boozer, David Lee (both have more frequent shots than Al)
  • Josh Smith --> Brook Lopez, Nazr Mohammed, Carl Landry (always thought Josh was an undersized center)
  • Marvin Williams --> Richard Jefferson (uncanny)
  • Mike Bibby --> Derek Fisher, Kirk Hinrich (not surprising)
  • Zaza Pachulia --> Samuel Dalembert, Joakim Noah (LOL)
  • Mo Evans --> Ron Artest, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, Martell Webster (not bad value)
  • Jeff Teague --> Rajon Rondo (Rondo is FAR more efficient inside)

Edited by mrhonline

Hoopdata.com has allows you to look at a player's shot selection relative to the rest of the league.

Filtering for type of shot, efficiency, and whether the player was assisted in successful attempts allows you to find players with similar offensive styles. Some interesting results:

• Joe Johnson --> Monta Ellis (gets to the rim more, but Joe is more efficient)
  • Al Horford --> Carlos Boozer, David Lee (both have more frequent shots than Al)
  • Josh Smith --> Brook Lopez, Nazr Mohammed, Carl Landry (always thought Josh was an undersized center)
  • Marvin Williams --> Richard Jefferson (uncanny)
  • Mike Bibby --> Derek Fisher, Kirk Hinrich (not surprising)
  • Zaza Pachulia --> Samuel Dalembert, Joakim Noah (LOL)
  • Mo Evans --> Ron Artest, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, Martell Webster (not bad value)

I like the list. It really gives value to how underrated Ellis is around the league.

Horford is better than both of those players in terms of talent.

Smith is Ben Wallace like on defense and a poor man's Lebron on offense. People say, what's a poor man's Lebron? Well Josh Smith is a jack of all trades player on offense, meaning he can do a bit of everything. Lebron James is a jack of all trades, but the difference is Lebron a master of all trades and Josh is a master of none.

Marvin is more like Caron, more defense less offense version from the past three seasons.

Bibby and Fisher are done so that comparison is fair, although Kirk would be better at PG again.

Zaza bottom is higher than Sam but his upside is less. Sam can play help side defense and block shots, Zaza can play team basketball with good IQ and toughness. Both should be backups but Sam's athletic ability is a rarity and has more value in this league. Noah>>!>>Zaza.

Mo is not that bad, but he's not that good. Artest bad season hurt is rate, but the others are on point but they have a lot more potential.

Teague- Rondo, I see that they both can't shoot and they will put up numbers. Teague isn't a true PG, he's has Kevin Johnson potential. Rondo is like Payton or Kidd.

Great find.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

:helpsmilie: someday, someday

~lw3

• Like 1

I hope Teague develops, but Rondo was always more efficient inside. I am skeptical whether they will ever be comparably efficient on those shots.

How can we really tell at this point? Teague was shell-shocked by Woodson's system and doghouse.

I love hoopdata. I have used it since they put up the site in 09. Even John Hollinger gets some of his data from hoopdata. I really like the depth of its info. The DEF category is intersting. It is a compilation of Blocks, Steals, Charges taken, etc. and ironically Smoove was #1 in that category this year. He needs to grow up and he can be a top 25 player in this league.

I love hoopdata. I have used it since they put up the site in 09. Even John Hollinger gets some of his data from hoopdata. I really like the depth of its info. The DEF category is intersting. It is a compilation of Blocks, Steals, Charges taken, etc. and ironically Smoove was #1 in that category this year. He needs to grow up and he can be a top 25 player in this league.

They said similar things about Kemp his whole career. So far six seasons and counting for Smoove. A good coach may be able to get through to him and get Marvin involved as well...here is to hoping!

Edited by Buzzard

He is a top 25 player.

I hope Teague develops, but Rondo was always more efficient inside. I am skeptical whether they will ever be comparably efficient on those shots.

Rondo always had consistent minutes in the rotation also

JJ is comparable to both Ellis and Kobe Bryant, when it comes to shot locations. More comparable to Ellis in the number of attempts he has in a certain area ( outside of getting directly to the rim ). More comparable to Bryant when it comes to actual shooting percentages from each area.

Atlanta uses Joe like LA uses Kobe, hence the former moniker of fake Kobe. Hey northcyde, I was about to post a link when I said this in 2008 but my English was terrible in which led to me being ridiculed immediately after the post.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

How can we really tell at this point? Teague was shell-shocked by Woodson's system and doghouse.

We don't know what will happen with Teague's career. My point is more that Rondo has always been exceptional on inside shooting and that it is unreasonable to expect any player to match up to that - especially one with a weak start in that department. Hopefully Teague blows my expectations away and I recognize that is a possibility.

My comment was more a statement on Rondo's interior abilities - dating back to his college days and continuing into the NBA - rather than a statement that Teague can't be effective inside.