• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who are your EARLY Hawks picks

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

(Possibly) outside of the lottery, here are my intriguing prospects in order:

Donatas Motiejunas, Luke Babbit, Hassan Whiteside, Xavier Henry, Seraphin, Jordan Crawford, possibly Nemanja Bjelica.

I'm happy with all of them and would trade up at reasonable cost for any of the first 4 as of now.

Somebody sell me on some of these swing players/Sfs as I'm simply not all that convinced that other than Babbit (tweener, yes, but a FAR better athlete than originally thought and can shoot lights out), any of them would even start over MW.

Also, list your top non-lottery prospects.

W

• Premium Member

(Possibly) outside of the lottery, here are my intriguing prospects in order:

Donatas Motiejunas, Luke Babbit, Hassan Whiteside, Xavier Henry, Seraphin, Jordan Crawford, possibly Nemanja Bjelica.

I'm happy with all of them and would trade up at reasonable cost for any of the first 4 as of now.

Somebody sell me on some of these swing players/Sfs as I'm simply not all that convinced that other than Babbit (tweener, yes, but a FAR better athlete than originally thought and can shoot lights out), any of them would even start over MW.

Also, list your top non-lottery prospects.

W

Paul George. I was on the Luke Babbit bandwagon but now I think George is our guy. He's projected to go anywhere from the late lottery to the early/mid 20's. I hope he falls to us or maybe we can make a small trade to swap picks with whoever picks him up.

Best player available at #24. When you're drafting that low in the 1st round, it makes no sense to draft for need. Just take the best guy you can get.

Jarvis Varnado or Wayne Chism at #53. Get an extra backup PF. First choice would be Varnado, for his shot blocking ability. Chism would be the pick for his all-around game.

Best player available at #24. When you're drafting that low in the 1st round, it makes no sense to draft for need. Just take the best guy you can get.

Jarvis Varnado or Wayne Chism at #53. Get an extra backup PF. First choice would be Varnado, for his shot blocking ability. Chism would be the pick for his all-around game.

Is Varnado's game any better than Solomon Jones? When I see that he is 6'9 210 I immediatly think of someone like Solo who may have been a good shotblocker in college but get's pushed around in the pros due to lack of strength. I guess it would be okay to take at #53.

Paul George. I was on the Luke Babbit bandwagon but now I think George is our guy. He's projected to go anywhere from the late lottery to the early/mid 20's. I hope he falls to us or maybe we can make a small trade to swap picks with whoever picks him up.

There is no way our luck is that good. Although Lawson almost fell to us last year. That Paul George kid is the real deal and if he gets by the Clippers they are nuts

Is Varnado's game any better than Solomon Jones? When I see that he is 6'9 210 I immediatly think of someone like Solo who may have been a good shotblocker in college but get's pushed around in the pros due to lack of strength. I guess it would be okay to take at #53.

Would you have liked to have Solomon Jones on this year's Hawk team . . or Joe Smith?

All I want from Varnado, is for him to come into the game, and alter a few shots and get some rebounds. A 2nd round pick usually isn't going to be an impact player, just a filler.

As far as Chism goes, he's going to make a team, in the same sense that Chuck Hayes made the Houston squad, even though he wasn't drafted. That dude is just a smart player and a competitor. He may not get drafted, but he'll be on someone's NBA team come November.

Guest Walter

I'll go with a Paul George as well, although at least until the combine I thought there was less chance of him than Babbit. George shot very well but opted out of the measurables like vert. Wonder why. Injured? Never saw him play so only video clips for now.

W

Wow.....that's funny that you picked those two guys, I played on the same team as chism in middle school and against he and varnado in high school. Varnado may be the longest 6'9 Ive ever seen and he's skilled at blocking shots, he doesn't get them strictly bc he's tall but he actually has great timing and knows how to use his frame to get to the ball......going against that guy was hell, it seemed like he was everywhere on the court at once bc he was so long.

Chism on the other hand is just as tall but is more skilled, he has a decent jumper (bout time bc he's been trying it since the 6th grade) and he's a decent passer and ball handler, he has a decent all around game but he's not great at anything.....he isn't the smartest guy by any means and he used to be lazy as heck but it seems like coach pearl coached him up and got that guy playing balls to the wall every minute of every game.....im always impressed with how hard he competes out there bc its refreshing to see that outta him.

I was actually pulling for us to draft either one of those guys and would love to see them on the roster, both are good guys and don't get in much trouble.....Varnado is the quietest guy you'll ever meet and chism is a lil rowdy but he's not a trouble maker at all

• Premium Member

I'll go with a Paul George as well, although at least until the combine I thought there was less chance of him than Babbit. George shot very well but opted out of the measurables like vert. Wonder why. Injured? Never saw him play so only video clips for now.

W

Luke wouldn't be a bad consolation prize either. The guy has looked awesome during the combine so far. I'd also go after Jordan Crawford if Babbit or George wasn't available(and if we can't bring back JJ of course). The dark horse is this kid from Alabama named Mikhail, but I think he will be available in the 2nd round.

• Moderators

As I suggested elsewhere, unless the Hawks trade up, it will be deja vu all over again. With their third first-rounder, the Wolves will sop up the player the Hawks covet (this time at forward) right before they pick, and trade him to somebody else. Then the Hawks will promote the project-with-potential pick as someone they've wanted all along. Farewell, Quincy Pondexter... hello Devin Ebanks.

#24 - Devin Ebanks

#53 - Artie Parakhouski (center) or Matt Bouldin (guard)

~lw3