All We Need Is a Small Forward Worth a Damn

TheDude

Look our size down low, while not filled with 7-footers, is sufficient enough and honestly better than most teams. There aren't a lot of good centers out there so it's tough to find one and you'll overpay if you do., Plus if we get a center some how, either Horford or Josh Smith are gone because Josh cannot play small forward offensively.

One issue we did have was the lack of quickness defensively from our starting pg (Bibby) as everyone knows. Ithink with Teague coming in and essentially getting the owner nod to start, he will be able to correct this. While I do not expect Teague to come in and save the team, I do expect him to come in and shore up our defensive issues and add speed and quickness on offense. While his jumpshot may not be there yet, neither was Rondos but he was solid as a young player.

But what we do have a problem with is Marvin "Doodah" Williams. I've always supported the dude, but at this point we need someone who is a difference maker also at that position. Anything we get from Marvin we automatically think of as a bonus. He doesn't seem to know what to do, what is his niche out there on the court. So I say we upgrade that position and we will be good (better) next season (counting that we get a coach who is worth a s***)........This is taking into account that we re-sign Joe Johnson....Now of course there are a couple star options in Lebron (dreaming and has been discussed thoroughly) and Dirk Nowitski (not discussed as much but still not gonna happen unless all of a sudden our management gets aggressive). Dirk is getting up there in age so a long term contract may not be a good idea. And this is all of course if we sign and trade Marvin, picks for SNT Dirk. But I don't eventhink that's doable since to match the salary we'd essentially empty our bench(like the whole thing)...................

So with the dream scenarios out of the picture who are some doable small forwards out there who maybe can contribute more than Marvin or maybe ready to break out by being on a better team?

Hell, honestly, Childress would be a better starting option than Marvin. At least Childress knew his role and played smart and aggressively.

Sf/sg is the easiest and cheapest position to fill in the nba.

The hawks are an elite pg away from being good. Period.

The Hawks are very good, one of the best teams in the NBA. I think you meant elite. Another bash Marvin thread, hooray for another pointless thread where there are almost two a day being made.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I agree. I've always been a Marvin supporter but it's time for a change in that position. I say package Marvin and Jeff Teague for a more proven Devin Harris.

Also, I really wouldn't mind seeing Tracy McGrady in a Hawks uniform. We'll be taking a risk with injury problems and age problems but I wouldn't mind having a player that can pass the ball in the SF position. I would love to see our 1-2-3 players that can pass the ball and make plays on the floor.

Some may disagree but I would look at T-Mac before I look at Childress. I love Childress as he was my favorite player when he was here, but T-Mac could be one of those signings that could really benefit our team. T-Mac will probably come cheap......so low risk, possible high reward.

• Like 1

no it's not just marvin's fault...i think i mentioned coaching a couple times....i think i also mentioned our lack of defense at the point guard position and lack of quickness and speed at the point guard position...so no, i didnt say it was just marvin's fault...but when addressing how to improve a sports team, you obviously look at the weaknesses and try to find ways to address them. I beleive we are already addressing two issues (new coach, teague) so that leaves the play at SF to be addressed..

and no this was not a bash marvin thread....like i've said i've supported him but we need more from the position.......why when you are critical of someone's play, that you are automatically bashing them?....in that case, bosses bash employees all the time....it's not bashing, it's simply stating a weakness and it's need for addressing...

but i guess i could post another howtogetlebron post. something that is extremely unlikely.....but it's a lot more likely to bring in another Sf so why not discuss it?

i like the trade for devin harris option although we still need to get a sf..

who is out there to be had? could we some how figure a way to get Danny Granger?

• Premium Member

So its Marvin's fault we didn't win the NBA championship this season and his fault only. If that is true then we need to trade him!!

Had Marvin been better, we would have had better effort from the others. It's hard carrying dead weight. Would that have meant Championship? Maybe not, but it wouldn't have been poor showing.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I say we make a play for that 6'8" dual-position ex-NBA player who is currently a restricted free agent and an award-winning Euroleague star for Greek Cup champion Olympiacos.

Of course, I am talking about Linas Kleiza. Can a sign-and-trade deal work to get him?

~lw3

• Premium Member

I say we make a play for that 6'8" dual-position ex-NBA player who is currently a restricted free agent and an award-winning Euroleague star for Greek Cup champion Olympiacos.

Of course, I am talking about Linas Kleiza. Can a sign-and-trade deal work to get him?

~lw3

The problem is Marvin is a POWER FORWARD! Put him on the block and he is a different player.

The problem is Marvin is a POWER FORWARD! Put him on the block and he is a different player.

agree, i was thinking that that could be the deal....we may have three good power forwards on our team....you cant have 3 power forwards starting.

The Hawks are very good, one of the best teams in the NBA. I think you meant elite. Another bash Marvin thread, hooray for another pointless thread where there are almost two a day being made.

The problem with Marvin is, and a lot of fans sense this, is that he does not even like basketball. He has all

the talent in world, spilling over with it, but what are you going to do if the guy does not have that "fire in the

belly" for the sport he plays. Its really sad, but If we aquired someone half as talented, but loved the sport of

basketball the Hawks would be the better team for it.

The problem with Marvin is, and a lot of fans sense this, is that he does not even like basketball. He has all

the talent in world, spilling over with it, but what are you going to do if the guy does not have that "fire in the

belly" for the sport he plays. Its really sad, but If we aquired someone half as talented, but loved the sport of

I somewhat agree, he likes basketball but does he love it or is it just a job to him. That's where I question Marvin but he's making market value for where his talent lies.

• Premium Member

ding ding ding.....dingaling!

I'm sick of dissecting Marvin. It's not in him and it will never be in him.

• Premium Member

I somewhat agree, he likes basketball but does he love it or is it just a job to him. That's where I question Marvin but he's making market value for where his talent lies.

Exactly. When you read an interview.. Marvin sees this as a Job. It's not his passion. Unfortunately, without the passion, he's not useful on the court. Haven't you ever noticed how Marvin used to get up for the Seattle game? Or his contract year? Or the NY game? These were signs that Marvin is not passionate about the game. I guy like KG has buckets of passion for the game. That's why you like guys like him and Iverson. They want to be on the court playing and doing the thing that they have loved. With Marvin, I don't even know if he really wants to be on the court. He's indicative of the new generation: He has been given stuff all his life and he just doesn't appreciate it or the work that it takes to earn it. Marvin was a bench player on a championship team with a set of bad pre-draft workouts who was drafted second overall. He was just handed that because he was 6'9 235 and he had a pretty shot.

Shoot.. give me Chillz who is 6'7" with the ugliest shot in basketball who had to carry a perennial loser to the 2nd best record in college basketball and had to earn everything he had. Still earning it. I betcha now, Chillz is leap years ahead of Marvin in development. I think it would be a mistake for us to not bring back chillz.

• Like 1

I'm all for getting a more efficient offensive SF. Would love to still have Marvin off the bench because I think he hasn't reached his full potential yet. Not saying he has all-star potential but the potential to be a lot more productive.

Guest Walter

Sf/sg is the easiest and cheapest position to fill in the nba.

The hawks are an elite pg away from being good. Period.

GSUteke, do you think we can get such a Pg in this draft at 24 or use this pick somehow to get such a Pg?

Otherwise, I'm not averse to speculation at other positions in this draft for 3 reasons...

1) I'm not against a center prospect like Orton or Whiteside (in the late teens at nbadraft.net) and maybe Larry Sander (although in the 2nd Varnado isn't a bad role playing option here either) at this draft position. Develop them as a BU now and future starter because when Horford's deal comes up we may need leverage or a replacement. We might even trade JS at that point and play Horford at Pf. This will require a small trade up.

2) I'm not against a 2 guard and/or wing because MW simply hasn't stepped up and in the next year JJ and JC's deals are up. We won't keep both and we might even need help at the 2 this year.

3) I simply do not see a Pg of worth in this draft anywhere near our draft slot. Terico White for all his athleticism and height had 1.5 APG/1.3 TOPG. He may be one of those better pro than college players, but...Armon Johnson and Bledsoe do not really interest me.

Still, you may have an idea of how and whom to acquire at Pg that involves this draft pick.

W

Exactly. When you read an interview.. Marvin sees this as a Job. It's not his passion. Unfortunately, without the passion, he's not useful on the court. Haven't you ever noticed how Marvin used to get up for the Seattle game? Or his contract year? Or the NY game? These were signs that Marvin is not passionate about the game. I guy like KG has buckets of passion for the game. That's why you like guys like him and Iverson. They want to be on the court playing and doing the thing that they have loved. With Marvin, I don't even know if he really wants to be on the court. He's indicative of the new generation: He has been given stuff all his life and he just doesn't appreciate it or the work that it takes to earn it. Marvin was a bench player on a championship team with a set of bad pre-draft workouts who was drafted second overall. He was just handed that because he was 6'9 235 and he had a pretty shot.

Shoot.. give me Chillz who is 6'7" with the ugliest shot in basketball who had to carry a perennial loser to the 2nd best record in college basketball and had to earn everything he had. Still earning it. I betcha now, Chillz is leap years ahead of Marvin in development. I think it would be a mistake for us to not bring back chillz.

I do not know about the usefulness on the court part, but if he wants to make the quantum leap as a player, he will need build a desire for the sport. Forget about the bloggers and just find away to get better. He's talented enough to where if you give him the shots, he will get 18per a game. That is the reason why teams, not just the Hawks wanted Williams, the problem is when it's not given to you what do you do then. When he lost his 4th quarter minutes to Jamal, instead of work harder, prove to the coach that I am a key component and bust his *ss, what did he do? He sat on the bench, smiled, he had that stupid towel over his head looking like a limped legged hobo and was okay with what transpired. Now if he was Bibby or Fisher who lost minutes because frankly, they don't have it anymore, I would have been okay with that, but not for Marvin. He's too talented to lose minutes to a guy who's only weapon is his scoring ability. Marvin needs to grow some is the better term and I wish Atlanta would have drafted Deron like I through they were going to do. Oh well, that's beyond time, the bottom-line is Marvin needs to understand that even if this is a job, take it serious and fight for promotion or in his case, more responsibility within the team.