• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So it's Casey or Drew

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Just thinking out loud about the impact of Drew or Casey, I personally don't see much difference in the two. Good grief at least the Knicks hired a good coach, he had no players but he is a good coach. We let Woody go and we are placing him with...............................................................

I get the gut feeling Joe Johnson wants to go somewhere else because of the cheap ownership group. Face it Squawkers this organization will NEVER win a NBA Championship. Who will the ownership group go after when Joe leaves? Now that Mo Evans has decided to stay we have no flexibility and if Joe just walks we will end up with another cheap player.

So, given the fact that this ownership is committed to winning the cheap way what players do we look at from here. We need a veteran PG and big man in the worst way. We know in past history the Hawks are not going to sign a major free agent, it will be a bottom feeder. This is a team that would not even sign Brandon Bass.

Will Randolph Morris and Jason Collins be back? If so, will they get any playing time. I would say that Woody did not trust his bench. Teague is the heir apparent at PG I would guess, Crawford the SG, Horford at C, Smoove at PF, and Marvin at SF. I believe we have to trade either Marvin or Smoove for a SF. I believe Smove and Marvin are PF's.

Just my .02

If Sekou is right and its down to these two then its like choosing between having your left nut ripped out with pliers or your right one. If this is really the case they are better served calling Woody up and making amends.

• Premium Member

Sekou's blog article on NBA.com:

HT’s TAKE: Multiple sources confirmed for us Friday morning that this is a Drew-Casey debate between the front office and the owners, not a dispute between the owners, as has been reported elsewhere. The owners are in the Drew camp while Sund and his staff are steadfast about Casey being the best choice to replace Mike Woodson. Expect a resolution by the end of the weekend and an announcement on the new coach as early as Monday morning, if not sooner. The minute Avery Johnson accepted the Nets’ offer (below), the Hawks were forced to adjust their plans.

Im willing to give them a chance. Im still glad Woody is gone. I was tired of him after six seasons. I dont care if Joe leaves, because if he was concerned about our team, he would've been more vocal on who coaches us.

I dont think it matters who the coach is, he was leaving period. I really think its the ownership group that is holding us back.

If you dont want to spend money to win, why even own a professional team?

• Premium Member

Im willing to give them a chance. Im still glad Woody is gone. I was tired of him after six seasons. I dont care if Joe leaves, because if he was concerned about our team, he would've been more vocal on who coaches us.

I dont think it matters who the coach is, he was leaving period. I really think its the ownership group that is holding us back.

If you dont want to spend money to win, why even own a professional team?

I think you are right that Joe was going to leave period and it is because of this cheap yardsale ownership group. It should be against NBA rules to operate a franchise on the cheap and the ineptness of this bunch of clowns.

This season was the best we will have in my lifetime and I am 50 years old!

• Premium Member

I think it has to say something that Sund's choice is Casey but despite what the owners say in public it obviously doesn't matter who he wants because the owners want someone else. Why have a GM if he can't even do his job?

• Like 1

I think it has to say something that Sund's choice is Casey but despite what the owners say in public it obviously doesn't matter who he wants because the owners want someone else. Why have a GM if he can't even do his job?

:beer11:

• Moderators

+1

• Premium Member

Just thinking out loud about the impact of Drew or Casey, I personally don't see much difference in the two. Good grief at least the Knicks hired a good coach, he had no players but he is a good coach. We let Woody go and we are placing him with...............................................................

I get the gut feeling Joe Johnson wants to go somewhere else because of the cheap ownership group. Face it Squawkers this organization will NEVER win a NBA Championship. Who will the ownership group go after when Joe leaves? Now that Mo Evans has decided to stay we have no flexibility and if Joe just walks we will end up with another cheap player.

So, given the fact that this ownership is committed to winning the cheap way what players do we look at from here. We need a veteran PG and big man in the worst way. We know in past history the Hawks are not going to sign a major free agent, it will be a bottom feeder. This is a team that would not even sign Brandon Bass.

Will Randolph Morris and Jason Collins be back? If so, will they get any playing time. I would say that Woody did not trust his bench. Teague is the heir apparent at PG I would guess, Crawford the SG, Horford at C, Smoove at PF, and Marvin at SF. I believe we have to trade either Marvin or Smoove for a SF. I believe Smove and Marvin are PF's.

Just my .02

good post.

If Sekou is right and its down to these two then its like choosing between having your left nut ripped out with pliers or your right one. If this is really the case they are better served calling Woody up and making amends.

LOL

I know for a fact that these two guys weren't the coaches people had in mind, when they envisioned Woody being out of here. AT this point, as long as they don't choose Mark Jackson, it doesn't matter.

But then again, the fans should be happy. They've always said that just about anybody could do a better coaching job. So be happy Hawks fans.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Apparently it's not an "one or the other" situation at all:

Drew, a loyal member of Woodson's staff, has emerged as a strong in-house option in the past two weeks. If the Hawks decide to enter negotiations with Casey, it is believed that Drew would be amenable to staying with the Hawks as Casey's top assistant. His relationship with the existing players, especially headstrong forward Josh Smith, would make him a valuable asset to Casey during the transition period.

Just give Larry Drew a raise to be the top assistant, hire Casey to be the new voice, and get focused on the draft.

Apparently it's not an "one or the other" situation at all:

Just give Larry Drew a raise to be the top assistant, hire Casey to be the new voice, and get focused on the draft.

That wouldn't be fair to Casey if he is hired. He needs to choose his man.

But on the other hand I can see the ASG pick Drew for fear that they will be turned down by Casey and have two black eyes.