• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

It's Drew! (Woo-hoo?)

ATL_BALLER

I like the irony here. BK wanted to fire Woody and let Drew take over as head coach a few years back. Well, we've moved on to the future and that scenario has played out under our new GM now.

The genius of BK will be realized even more if we can somehow retain Joe Johnson. But at this point he may be out of here.

Funny thing is our chances in the post-season would be just as good even better without him if we aren't running that ridiculous isolation offense.

To stress how big of a losing formula it provides, there are 12 teams in NBA history who won 66+ games. 9 of the 12 teams won the NBA title.

2 of the 3 teams to not win a title were the 2007 Mavs who lost in the 1st round and the 2009 Cavs who got destroyed in the ECF. Both of those teams ran a whole lot of isolation offense.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

Crawford said it best:

“He knows the faults of our teams,” Crawford said. “It’s not like we are a bad team. Now we can continue to build; we don’t have to start over.”

“Everything is going to be a first for him,” Crawford said. “But I think it will be a little bit easier transition because he knows our team. He doesn’t have to come in and learn the different personalities, what makes people tick and how to motivate them.”

I like it.

Now let run the triangle offense.

Of the three candidates, Drew is the choice. Hey, the guy has been on the sideline for 14 years. He is experienced enough to risk the job. I do not expect Joe to return so Sund (hopefully and Drew) needs to fashion the revamped roster, minus Marvin and plus Chillz to start.

lol.

Embarrassing

+1

And how do you expect Woody's assistant to tell Joe no more ISOs? Joe is gone.

I will wait before calling this a failure and hope he can instill an uptempo offense and get better assistant coaches than Woody had (Irony I know)

The genius of BK will be realized even more if we can somehow retain Joe Johnson. But at this point he may be out of here.

Funny thing is our chances in the post-season would be just as good even better without him if we aren't running that ridiculous isolation offense.

To stress how big of a losing formula it provides, there are 12 teams in NBA history who won 66+ games. 9 of the 12 teams won the NBA title.

2 of the 3 teams to not win a title were the 2007 Mavs who lost in the 1st round and the 2009 Cavs who got destroyed in the ECF. Both of those teams ran a whole lot of isolation offense.

Bus . . . those teams didn't lose because of ISO offense. Those teams lost because they played pizz poor defense in those series.

Golden St had won 6 out of 7 games vs Dallas before that playoff series. The problem with Dallas vs Golden St, is that Golden St's "smallball" rendered Dallas' best defensive player useless ( Desagna Diop ). Add that to the fact that the Mavs didn't have a big time low post scorer, and it was a recipe for disaster vs the Warriors. Dallas couldn't stop Golden St. That's why they lost. It was the worst possible matchup for the Mavs, and they couldn't overcome it.

The same goes for Cleveland in 2009. They couldn't stop Orlando in that ECF and lost in 6 games. Dwight Howard killed that team. And that's the reason why Cleveland went out and got Shaq.

Both of those teams had major defensive breakdowns in that series.

And that's the same problem with the Hawks. We can implement whatever offense you want, but if this team doesn't improve DRASTICALLY on defense ( and securing defensive rebounds ), the Hawks won't advance any further than what we have.

We'd essentially be Toronto.

If he comes with Larry Drew Jr. from UNC, I'll be happy. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But seriously, I'm not enthusiastic about it but I'm not overly disappointed. I'm more worried about what happens in Free Agency and if we will re-sign Joe. Getting a new coach won't matter if we don't sign Joe. I honestly think that if we keep the same roster we had last year and had Larry Drew as a coach, we would have done a lot better in the regular season as well as the playoffs.

• Premium Member

I wounder how this thing played out. Was Drew a Sund guy or an ASG guy? Would be nice to know who's calling the shots.

ASG done it to us again, Larry Drew really? I'm still willing to bet this guy is Woodson 2.0 if he ends up bald with no eye brows by the end of next season I'm going to the games with a "Told you he was Woodson 2.0" sign.

:write a letter:

I told you so! "Regardless of who the Hawks hire, he will be thought as the worst possible solution."

All you fans who "already know" that he will be an utter failure, we knew what was coming from you.

Give the guy a chance. In spite of what you say about him and how he will coach, you don't know.

You don't "know" that he will be Woody 11. You don't "know" all the stuff you claim to know. At best,

you're just guessing and at worst you're just pitching a hissy fit.

CONGRATULATIONS TO DREW. OUR NEW HEAD COACH. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

GO HAWKS!!!!

:line dance:

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm willing to give Drew a chance, but I am not impressed by this at all. I was so relieved that we FINALLY got rid of Woodson and all we do is promote his assistant. These players need a new voice.

At this point I'm just ready for a big trade.

I told you so! "Regardless of who the Hawks hire, he will be thought as the worst possible solution."

All you fans who "already know" that he will be an utter failure, we knew what was coming from you.

Give the guy a chance. In spite of what you say about him and how he will coach, you don't know.

You don't "know" that he will be Woody 11. You don't "know" all the stuff you claim to know. At best,

GO HAWKS!!!!

+1 to you sir. I love how people are already making claims like they know what kind of coach Drew is. Give the guy a chance for crying out loud.

Once again, overreaction on this board......but hey, what's new?

GO HAWKS!!!!

Yep, indeed.

Looks like everyone is still upset Avery didn't get the hire.