• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Players I think the Hawk are looking at in the draft

Admin

Based on the end to the season, the ways fans treated JJ and vice versa, the economics of the re-signing a player his age to a big deal and looking at our list of players we are working out has led me to one conclusion. We are NOT going to have Joe Johnson next season.

So with that being the case let's look at the Hawks roster by position/group and then take a look at what we might do on draft night based on the positions of players we scheduled for workouts and what round we might take them in. For the purpose of this post I am going to assume that we don't plan on re-signing Joe Johnson.

Position (# under contract / min. number needed)

PG (2/2)

Teague/Bibby

- JT should be a nice defensive upgrade to Bibby but we can't count on him to make a major immediate defensive impact. We're going to need to sign a veteran that can play solid defense but can also run a motion based offense and who can also mentally handle the strong chance that at least in the beginning he is going to be inactive or sitting on the bench as the 3rd PG.

SG/SF (3/4)

Crawford/Evans

Marvin/??

- Evans is far more suited to play SG than SF so I'd rank our need in this area to be SF and then SG. However, if JJ and/or Childress are here next year that drastically changes things and gives us plenty of talent and depth.

PF/C (3/4)

Smith/??

Horford/Zaza

- Assuming that both Smith and Horford are back next year and stay in the same positions the primary need here is a quality backup to Smith and I see us going after a more traditional type of PF who can bang and do the dirty work, like a Paul Millsap type. Obviously we'd like to get a quality defensive 5 that can spell Horford but chances are we're going to have Zaza backing up Al again so even if we draft a C he's probably not going to get much playing time next year.

Benchwarmers (0/3-5)

I could see Hunter, Mario and Morris coming back for another year but we really don't want any of them to be a primary backup. If they don't come back then we'll probably look to sign or draft replacement players who are similar in terms of ability since they won't play much.

Having broken it down like that and assuming that we will not have Childress or JJ next year and not considering FA's it looks to me like our 3 biggest positions of need going into the draft are at backup SF, PF and SG in that order. The way that I arrive at that order is I see needing a backup for Marvin being a bigger priority than a backup for Smith.

Now take a look list of players, by position, who are scheduled to workout for the Hawks:

1st round

PG (0) -

SG (5) - Terrico White, Elliott Williams, Dominique Jones, Greivis Vasquez, Jordan Crawford*

SF (3) - Darington Hobson, Stanley Robinson, Quincy Pondexter

PF (2) - Craig Brackins, Larry Sanders

C (2) - Solomon Alabi, Daniel Orton

*Note: Jordan Crawford canceled his workout with the Hawks.

From this set of workouts I believe that we are staying at 24 and drafting the best SG/SF available but that we are doing our due diligence in also working out Alabi and Orton, just in case we move up or one of them slides I suppose. We are also considering 1st round graded PFs as well.

2nd round

PG (4) - Chris Kramer, J.T. Tiller, Tory Jackson, Joe Dukes

SG (3) - Pape Sy (2 workouts), Manny Harris, Mikhail Torrance

SF (5) - Devin Ebanks, Elijah Millsap, Kevin Palmer, Lazar Hayward, Tasmin Mitchell

PF (9) - Gani Lawal, Charles Garcia, Landon Milbourne, Trevor Booker, Derrick Caracter, Patrick Sullivan, Jarvis Varnardo, Latavious Williams, Samardo Samuels

C (1) - Ryan Richards

From this set of workouts it is clear that PF is far and away the position that we are most strongly leaning towards in the 2nd round, however, if we were to draft a PF in the 1st round then we'd probably draft a SF here. I believe that Jackson and Dukes are only being brought in to be the PGs for Sanders, Alabi and Orton and that we're not really looking to draft them.

Potential Hawks 1st round Draft Board based on their Draft Express rankings (Position - Mock Draft Pick #)

Larry Sanders (PF - 16)

Solomon Alabi (C - 19)

Daniel Orton (C - 21)

Dominique Jones (SG - 24) - DX Hawks Prediction

Elliott Williams (SG - 25)

Jordan Crawford (SG - 27)

Greivis Vasquez (SG - 28)

Quincy Pondexter (SF - 29)

Stanley Robinson (SF - 31)

Terrico White (SG - 32)

Darington Hobson (SF - 33)

Craig Brackins (PF - 34)

Conclusion

What I think the Hawks are going to do based on the above information is that we're going to look for the best available SG in round one if we stay where we are at although we would consider moving up for a C (or PF Larry Sanders). We might also consider moving back a little for a SF or PF. Chad Ford has us taking Lance Stephenson at #24, a raw SG that we aren't even working out and that DX has projected to go with the 11th pick in round 2.

In round 2 we'd look at taking the best available PF but if we took a PF in round 1 we would draft the best available SG/SF.

I DO NOT see Sund drafting a player that we have not worked out, but I wouldn't put it past the Hawks to have scheduled a secret workout or two.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

What about the Center from Radford Artsiom Parahouski as a 2nd round pick? He has got good size @ 6'11 260lbs and can shoot well at least out to 18 to 20ft. We never replaced what Jason Collier brought to the team, a big man who can pull the opposing teams center away from the basket to guard him because of his shooting touch.

Like you said we may have a secret workout, or a last minute workout of someone who isn't already scheduled to come in. If my memory is correct I think Babcock brought in Dan Dickau a day before the draft to look evaluate him

Edited by Blunt91

• Premium Member

I think you are right about the Hawks going with the best SG/SF available, but the one player who we didn't work out who is projected to be available in the 20's on some mocks is James Anderson. I think if he's available at 24 the Hawks grab him. Gani Lawal is also rumored to be one of the 5 players the Hawks are looking at according to the AJC. As a fan of GT basketball and football, I like Lawal's hard nosed game but he is a little unpolished right now. My picks for # 24 are as follows in order:

James Anderson

Dominique Jones

Jordan Crawford(even though he canceled on us)

Elliot Williams

Terrico White

I'm pretty sure the Hawks are thinking shooting guard with the 24th. I don't know if that's any indication of the chances of JJ's return, but that can't be good. I think the Hawks are looking for a SG who can score the ball and help distribute in LD's motion offense. Three of the four they were looking to work out so far have shown that ability(Dominique, Manny, and Jordan). Terrico is the only guy who didn't distibute too well in college, but he has great length, explosive athleticism, and a smooth shooting stroke. His motor is what concerns me as he never dominated like should have with all of those tools. That's why Dominique is my guy if Anderson's gone. The guy does it all and has a hard nosed game.

Edited by hawkman

• Premium Member
Thoughts?

I agree in general with you. I think Hawks see the most potential for an actual rotation player as a combo guard. They don't expect a big man to fall and they know that having a second ballhandler is a good idea next to Bibby. Personally, I think Jones and Williams make the most sense. At least one should be there.

Excellent analysis Dolfan. I also wouldn't count out the possibilty that with our 1st round pick being late (24) we might pick a young Euro/International player who will stay overseas. That might free up dollars to bring Chillz back. Chillz would be a nice piece to have for a new uptempo offense. Obviously $$ is a major factor with our franchise at this point and we really aren't hurting for young guys.

By not resigning JJ and not having to spend 1st round draft pick dollars maybe we can actually use our exception(s).

I totally agree with you that: "We're going to need to sign a veteran (PG) that can play solid defense but can also run a motion based offense and who can also mentally handle the strong chance that at least in the beginning he is going to be inactive or sitting on the bench as the 3rd PG."

I really hope we get Pape Sy in the second round...(cool name).

Good post, Dolf. I was waiting to get home to do the same but you pretty much touched on all bases. I agree completely with the reasoning, Joe may be gone this year, I don't see Chills being back whatsoever, Bibbs is a year older and Teague is an unknown. Beyond that both Jamal and Mo expire after the season meaning only Teague, Bibby and Marvin make up our entire perimeter depth in 2011. There are just too many areas to address on this team for us to think that all we need is a C going forward over the next 5 seasons.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

• Premium Member

I respect Dolf a ton, but I do not even begin to pretend that he or anyone else... quite possibly including Sund... has a clue what is going to happen with the Hawks this off-season.

Too much going on. Too many variables in-play.

So, unlike pretty much any off-season I can remember for any of my favorite teams, I've determined it is a complete and utter waste of time to comb through what information can be known because of all of the information that just cannot be at this juncture.

I agree man. SG/SF and possibly a PF are the two positions that we have the best chance at drafting a player who can play this season. The second round is a waste IMO, unless we can move up into the top ten at least. If not, I like drafting a Euro who may turn out to be a solid player in two to three seasons....just like we did last season.

• Premium Member

I agree man. SG/SF and possibly a PF are the two positions that we have the best chance at drafting a player who can play this season. The second round is a waste IMO, unless we can move up into the top ten at least. If not, I like drafting a Euro who may turn out to be a solid player in two to three seasons....just like we did last season.

The second round may not necessarily be a waste Buzzard. This Mikhail kid out of Alabama is an interesting player. He played well in Portsmouth and lit it up in shooting drills according to NBADraft.net. he's 6'5" and plays the PG position. The dude averaged 5apg in college. There's also Vasquez out Maryland who will be available in the second round. Those players are upperclassmen with high BBIQ who could contribute right away and they both are projected to go in the second round.

The second round may not necessarily be a waste Buzzard. This Mikhail kid out of Alabama is an interesting player. He played well in Portsmouth and lit it up in shooting drills according to NBADraft.net. he's 6'5" and plays the PG position. The dude averaged 5apg in college. There's also Vasquez out Maryland who will be available in the second round. Those players are upperclassmen with high BBIQ who could contribute right away and they both are projected to go in the second round.

This is why I said we needed to get into the top ten of the 2nd round. Draft Express has Vasquez going at 28 in the 1st round and Mikhail going with the 10th pick in the second round. We can get some help with our 24th pick in the 1st round; but with our 23rd pick in the 2nd round there will not be much left to choose from.

Varnado is my guy. He won't be taken that high though. I wonder how he worked out with us today?

All I know, is that if Varnado gets with a team that needs a backup PF, you're going to see this guy instantly produce as a defensive player and rebounder. You won't see him have a Dejuan Blair like impact, but his defensive impact will be felt almost immediately.

If we're still trying to be the "highlight factory", Terrico White is probably the dude to get.

Varnado is my guy. He won't be taken that high though. I wonder how he worked out with us today?

All I know, is that if Varnado gets with a team that needs a backup PF, you're going to see this guy instantly produce as a defensive player and rebounder. You won't see him have a Dejuan Blair like impact, but his defensive impact will be felt almost immediately.

If we're still trying to be the "highlight factory", Terrico White is probably the dude to get.

That's what I thought initially, but the last thing this team is short of is offensively raw athletic PF. Also, he's listed to be between 6'8 and 6'10 long and 210 lbs so there's no way he plays undersized center.

Based on the end to the season, the ways fans treated JJ and vice versa, the economics of the re-signing a player his age to a big deal and looking at our list of players we are working out has led me to one conclusion. We are NOT going to have Joe Johnson next season.

So with that being the case let's look at the Hawks roster by position/group and then take a look at what we might do on draft night based on the positions of players we scheduled for workouts and what round we might take them in. For the purpose of this post I am going to assume that we don't plan on re-signing Joe Johnson.

Position (# under contract / min. number needed)

PG (2/2)

Teague/Bibby

- JT should be a nice defensive upgrade to Bibby but we can't count on him to make a major immediate defensive impact. We're going to need to sign a veteran that can play solid defense but can also run a motion based offense and who can also mentally handle the strong chance that at least in the beginning he is going to be inactive or sitting on the bench as the 3rd PG.

SG/SF (3/4)

Crawford/Evans

Marvin/??

- Evans is far more suited to play SG than SF so I'd rank our need in this area to be SF and then SG. However, if JJ and/or Childress are here next year that drastically changes things and gives us plenty of talent and depth.

PF/C (3/4)

Smith/??

Horford/Zaza

- Assuming that both Smith and Horford are back next year and stay in the same positions the primary need here is a quality backup to Smith and I see us going after a more traditional type of PF who can bang and do the dirty work, like a Paul Millsap type. Obviously we'd like to get a quality defensive 5 that can spell Horford but chances are we're going to have Zaza backing up Al again so even if we draft a C he's probably not going to get much playing time next year.

Benchwarmers (0/3-5)

I could see Hunter, Mario and Morris coming back for another year but we really don't want any of them to be a primary backup. If they don't come back then we'll probably look to sign or draft replacement players who are similar in terms of ability since they won't play much.

Having broken it down like that and assuming that we will not have Childress or JJ next year and not considering FA's it looks to me like our 3 biggest positions of need going into the draft are at backup SF, PF and SG in that order. The way that I arrive at that order is I see needing a backup for Marvin being a bigger priority than a backup for Smith.

Now take a look list of players, by position, who are scheduled to workout for the Hawks:

1st round

PG (0) -

SG (5) - Terrico White, Elliott Williams, Dominique Jones, Greivis Vasquez, Jordan Crawford*

SF (3) - Darington Hobson, Stanley Robinson, Quincy Pondexter

PF (2) - Craig Brackins, Larry Sanders

C (2) - Solomon Alabi, Daniel Orton

*Note: Jordan Crawford canceled his workout with the Hawks.

From this set of workouts I believe that we are staying at 24 and drafting the best SG/SF available but that we are doing our due diligence in also working out Alabi and Orton, just in case we move up or one of them slides I suppose. We are also considering 1st round graded PFs as well.

2nd round

PG (4) - Chris Kramer, J.T. Tiller, Tory Jackson, Joe Dukes

SG (3) - Pape Sy (2 workouts), Manny Harris, Mikhail Torrance

SF (5) - Devin Ebanks, Elijah Millsap, Kevin Palmer, Lazar Hayward, Tasmin Mitchell

PF (9) - Gani Lawal, Charles Garcia, Landon Milbourne, Trevor Booker, Derrick Caracter, Patrick Sullivan, Jarvis Varnardo, Latavious Williams, Samardo Samuels

C (1) - Ryan Richards

From this set of workouts it is clear that PF is far and away the position that we are most strongly leaning towards in the 2nd round, however, if we were to draft a PF in the 1st round then we'd probably draft a SF here. I believe that Jackson and Dukes are only being brought in to be the PGs for Sanders, Alabi and Orton and that we're not really looking to draft them.

Potential Hawks 1st round Draft Board based on their Draft Express rankings (Position - Mock Draft Pick #)

Larry Sanders (PF - 16)

Solomon Alabi (C - 19)

Daniel Orton (C - 21)

Dominique Jones (SG - 24) - DX Hawks Prediction

Elliott Williams (SG - 25)

Jordan Crawford (SG - 27)

Greivis Vasquez (SG - 28)

Quincy Pondexter (SF - 29)

Stanley Robinson (SF - 31)

Terrico White (SG - 32)

Darington Hobson (SF - 33)

Craig Brackins (PF - 34)

Conclusion

What I think the Hawks are going to do based on the above information is that we're going to look for the best available SG in round one if we stay where we are at although we would consider moving up for a C (or PF Larry Sanders). We might also consider moving back a little for a SF or PF. Chad Ford has us taking Lance Stephenson at #24, a raw SG that we aren't even working out and that DX has projected to go with the 11th pick in round 2.

In round 2 we'd look at taking the best available PF but if we took a PF in round 1 we would draft the best available SG/SF.

I DO NOT see Sund drafting a player that we have not worked out, but I wouldn't put it past the Hawks to have scheduled a secret workout or two.

Thoughts?

You left out what I think is the biggest possibility. JJ wants to play for a winner and that means whatever team he signs for will need to have an established talent base. They will have a SG to move. Whatever team signs JJ is going to want to move dead contract weight. This sets the Hawks up to take back something of real value from another team by packaging the 24th pick which is guaranteed but low money to another team for a player from their roster that won't count against our cap just like JJ does and we move down in the draft out of the first round to draft a player with a non guaranteed contract. This helps give us the money to sign Chillz and 1 lower tier free agent. I think this is much more probable than the Hawks standing pat at 24. An example of this kind of player would be taking Eddy Curry off the Knicks hands for one year and getting a player thrown in to equal JJ's salary. We do the Knicks a favor by eating 1 year of Curry's contract and giving them the money to sign talent that fits the system. They repay us with a player and draft considerations. We send the 24th pick over this year so they aren't cap dinged for not having 9 players under contract.

What that means is we'd be drafting for someone else.

Edited by thecampster

Terrico White is the guy. He passes my eye test. His shot is solid and his form looks crisp, that was my only question about him. If you look at him and jamals overall length, it's very comparable except white blows him out of the water athletically. 31 no step/40 vertical 3.7% body fat on 205 pounds :temperature:

Joe's signing is very much in doubt, craw only has one year left and probably will be good trade deadline bait. T.W. is my pick for president or the 24th overall pick.

That's what I thought initially, but the last thing this team is short of is offensively raw athletic PF. Also, he's listed to be between 6'8 and 6'10 long and 210 lbs so there's no way he plays undersized center.

I understand your point but I look at it this way, Zaza is our center on the second unit and there is not really any prospects that will be on the board for us that will immediately supplant him. Now who do you prefer helping him out on D with that second unit, someone like Joe Smith or Amir Johnson? We have no shot blockers on the second unit and I don't see the need of getting another lumbering Center that can't really play next to Zaza so I rather have a PF type that has the agility to play helpside D in the same manner that Smoove does in the starting lineup. Rebounding and shot blocking translate very well from college and are a value to any team.

I think you are right about the Hawks going with the best SG/SF available, but the one player who we didn't work out who is projected to be available in the 20's on some mocks is James Anderson. I think if he's available at 24 the Hawks grab him.

I hope your right.

Anderson is my favorite wing player projected to possibly be around at #24. I like D. James too.

I would have no problem using the MLE to get a veteran who is ready to play to replace JJ and using #24 on a big.

The smoke from the assistant GM was that no one at #24 is ready to produce and they will utilize the Development League. That makes me think project big is a possibility. Then again, most of the smoke is false information.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I really have become a big fan of "Nique II" at Pick #24 as of late, and hope the Crawford promise from a team above (praying it's the Wolves) means Jones will be available. Terrico would be terrific too if he can improve his passing skills significantly under Drew. (aside: I didn't know Drew II led the NCAA's in assists per 40 mins last year w/ UNC, son is learning from somebody).

Still wish we could trade down for two picks between #28-40. In addition to one of Jones/White/Torrance/Vasquez being available, I'd like to see a shot at Alabi/Seraphin or a rebounding SF-PF option (James/Robinson/Garcia/Hobson), all of which I worry will be gone by Pick #53.

~lw3