• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Concern with Larry Drew's Contract

AHF

Two total teams have their coaches on for half the salary if there is a lockout. That constitutes standard operating practice? Are you on dope? If you are referring to 3 year deals, well that just isn't what Drew has. There is a big difference between 2 years plus team option and 3 years, if Drew does well then is it likely that the ASG tears up the deal and starts anew? They certainly haven't shown the propensity to do anything like that with the Hawks or Thrashers.

People are starting to recognize that the ASG are cheap. That is good. This deal should concern people, and for some to defend this deal is perplexing. The argument of this being a smart deal in the event of the ASG wanting to sell the team is foolish. Do you really think a potential buyer will say "you know I like the Hawks, I would offer $300 million for the team but they have a coach I don't like on the hook for $3 million next year, thats just too much for me. I don't want to buy"??? NO! Thats a foolish idea that a coach is going to influence a potential buyer. The buyer will just factor all current costs into their bid. A short deal will encourage Drew to try harder? It will take extraordinary circumstances for the ASG to change the contract from a 2 year plus option to a guaranteed large yearly pay.

Whether its here or somewhere else, if Drew shines by putting in a improved offense that uses all our players abilities, he will get another job. This is Drews shot and his incentive IMO. No one wants to fail at any level, and if he surpasses expectations his next contract will be a whopper.

We had 53 wins last season, if we keep JJ, he will need to improve our playoff performance. If we lose JJ and he keeps us in the playoffs I think that will also prove his metal...

Could we not look at it like we're giving Drew a short term deal and after this season if he really impresses we can extend it and give him a nice raise and more years?

Yea, this is the way I look at it. You know, the 2 year term might have been a request of Drews to some extent. He doesn't want to be locked into a cheap contract for more than 2 years (especially if he's doing well). Having the contract expire in 2 years allows him to negotiate a raise if deserved.

The short contract also allows the ASG to cut him loose if he isn't working out. Its a win-win if you ask me.

Two total teams have their coaches on for half the salary if there is a lockout. That constitutes standard operating practice? Are you on dope? If you are referring to 3 year deals, well that just isn't what Drew has. There is a big difference between 2 years plus team option and 3 years, if Drew does well then is it likely that the ASG tears up the deal and starts anew? They certainly haven't shown the propensity to do anything like that with the Hawks or Thrashers.

People are starting to recognize that the ASG are cheap. That is good. This deal should concern people, and for some to defend this deal is perplexing. The argument of this being a smart deal in the event of the ASG wanting to sell the team is foolish. Do you really think a potential buyer will say "you know I like the Hawks, I would offer $300 million for the team but they have a coach I don't like on the hook for $3 million next year, thats just too much for me. I don't want to buy"??? NO! Thats a foolish idea that a coach is going to influence a potential buyer. The buyer will just factor all current costs into their bid. A short deal will encourage Drew to try harder? It will take extraordinary circumstances for the ASG to change the contract from a 2 year plus option to a guaranteed large yearly pay.

Well yeah. Let's just ignore all the deals that are almost exactly like Larry's so we can call ASG cheap. Out of all the contracts of first time head coaches hired in the past two years that I looked at, only John Keuster had a guranteed 3 year deal. But, we want to call ASG cheap because they didn't go out and hire someone we have seen on TV a lot.

Whether its here or somewhere else, if Drew shines by putting in a improved offense that uses all our players abilities, he will get another job. This is Drews shot and his incentive IMO. No one wants to fail at any level, and if he surpasses expectations his next contract will be a whopper.

We had 53 wins last season, if we keep JJ, he will need to improve our playoff performance. If we lose JJ and he keeps us in the playoffs I think that will also prove his metal...

What will likely happen is no different than what Scott Brooks got in OKC and what Alvin Gentry got in Phoenix. If the Hawks do well this year, that third year option will be picked up. If he does well in year two, then the Hawks will likely sign him to a multi year extension. Like I said earlier, this is standard operating practice when it comes to hiring coaches these days.

• Moderators

The short contract is problematic, but not so much for the reason cited.

Hawks win 55-60 games next year and sneak into the ECFs, and while A$G would be lauded for being so penny-wise, Drew would be eagerly coveted by the franchises with much more than play-money in their pockets. Drew would rightfully demand a raise that he won't get here. So it's fail to progress, and he's a goner... succeed, and he's a goner. But Drew knows this, and he valued "getting the foot in the door" to be above the risk that his stay in Atlanta will be short.

~lw3

The short contract is problematic, but not so much for the reason cited.

Hawks win 55-60 games next year and sneak into the ECFs, and while A$G would be lauded for being so penny-wise, Drew would be eagerly coveted by the franchises with much more than play-money in their pockets. Drew would rightfully demand a raise that he won't get here. So it's fail to progress, and he's a goner... succeed, and he's a goner. But Drew knows this, and he valued "getting the foot in the door" to be above the risk that his stay in Atlanta will be short.

~lw3

I am in support of the Spirit since they own my team just as I support Sund; but that 1/2 year salary clause would not sit well with me if I was Drew. Spirit would need to show me some support to soothe that one over should a lockout happen and I (we) succeed.

That incentive will always be there regardless of the length of contract.

That incentive will always be there regardless of the length of contract.

The man needs no incentive other than that. This is his shot after 17 years (think that is how long he has been an assistant) and he will bust his *ss to succeed.

• Premium Member

Sorry to be late in this...

But I think that Drew got the short contract for flexibility. ASG realizes that they only have so long with the core of this team which as of now is Smoove, Marvin, and Horf (core by salary that is). However, Drew gets the chance to prove himself or he's gone and we get Doc Rivers...

The King returns.

Still, I think Sund is crying about the spilled milk that is Casey.