• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sund says we are picking BPA and not necessarily need

Blunt91

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link from the Hawks blog over @ Hawk.com where Rick Sund talks a little after today's final workout.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/2010_Draft_Central.html

I agree with BPA but I am still willing to bet its a Wing or possibly a PF. Just makes sense to me that all the best centers will all be long gone by then...

The history of the draft suggests that a BPA at that range, is usually an undersized PF or a high scoring guard who people may have some doubts about in other areas.

So see who fits this profile, and those are probably the candidates to choose from.

I think that's pretty much the case north - but it is also the smart thing for Sund to say. If he were to come out and say we are drafting for need, that would tell other teams something (not much but a little).

I agree with BPA but I am still willing to bet its a Wing or possibly a PF. Just makes sense to me that all the best centers will all be long gone by then...

It's possible that Orton or Whiteside will be there when we pick and while I wouldn't say that either are cant miss prospects I would have to give either of them strong consideration and I'm sure that Sund will as well since he likes to take chances on young project bigs. Whiteside definitely interests me with the way he blocks shots and rebounds the ball and we're obviously interested in Orton since we worked him out.

My guess is that we'll be taking the best tall combo guard available. It would be kind of funny for us to draft Jones though and have Dominique saying his name and/or nimber during broadcasts.

• Moderators

It's possible that Orton or Whiteside will be there when we pick and while I wouldn't say that either are cant miss prospects I would have to give either of them strong consideration and I'm sure that Sund will as well since he likes to take chances on young project bigs. Whiteside definitely interests me with the way he blocks shots and rebounds the ball and we're obviously interested in Orton since we worked him out.

Agreed. I won't be surprised if both are gone, but if they are there we need to consider it strongly. Passing a true big man who can give you some minutes and grow would be a big mistake.

I am also really interested in Whiteside. He kinda reminds me of a young KG/Dwight Howard. Obviously raw but I could easily see him becoming a great player down the line. He just has that "IT". I hope we get a chance to draft him, that would be awesome.

There are more bigs in this draft than recent years and maybe one will fall to us. But the combo guard definately has some merit.

Agreed - but decent bigs are always at a premium and we are drafting at 24. If anything the bigs will rise on the board and we won't be within 3 or 4 picks of any of them.

Normal GMs take bigs when the bigtime talent is gone.

Agreed - but decent bigs are always at a premium and we are drafting at 24. If anything the bigs will rise on the board and we won't be within 3 or 4 picks of any of them.

Normal GMs take bigs when the bigtime talent is gone.

And that's fine if that happens because if they reach for bigs then that means guards and wings who are early teen type of talent will drop and hopefully we take advantage of that. I have no doubt that we can find someone at 24 that can either help us this year or who has legit upside.

I am also really interested in Whiteside. He kinda reminds me of a young KG/Dwight Howard. Obviously raw but I could easily see him becoming a great player down the line. He just has that "IT". I hope we get a chance to draft him, that would be awesome.

I don't think that I see Howard in him nor do I see the offensive skills that KG has but he's absolutely got the shot blocking ability of a young Marcus Camby. If he becomes anything close to a Camby type then down the line he would fit in extremely well next to Horford or to a lesser degree Smith.

Agreed. I won't be surprised if both are gone, but if they are there we need to consider it strongly. Passing a true big man who can give you some minutes and grow would be a big mistake.

Which would be worse, both of those guys along with Alabi are gone by the 24th pick or one of them is on the board and we pass on him?

The history of the draft suggests that a BPA at that range, is usually an undersized PF or a high scoring guard who people may have some doubts about in other areas.

So see who fits this profile, and those are probably the candidates to choose from.

According to Michael Cunningham, that may be exactly what the Hawks are looking at. Michael states in his blog that while Dave Pendergraft wouldn't mention any names, the Hawks did give him enough clues that he could make an educated guess on who the 5 players Atlanta is looking at with this pick are. His list:

1. Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech

2. Trevor Booker, PF, Clemson

3. Jordan Crawford, SG, Xavier

4. Dominiuqe Jones, SG, South Florida

5. Terrico White, SG, Mississippi

Dave Pendergraft did have some comments on each player. He says Lawal and Booker may be a little undersized, but they are strong in the paint and will not get mashed around down low. He called Jordan Crawford a mini Jamal Crawford, but Dave admits that he doesn't think Crawford will be there. Dave says Dominique Jones is a tremendous scorer, can really handle the basketball, and is very strong. He said Terrico White is such a good shooter that he's a guy coaches will call plays for just to get him open for shooting opps.

My best guess is that they want a guard, someone that can help them out defensively and be a solid shooter. I think Jordan Crawford is at the top of their board, and if he is there, they will pick him. After him, it's anyone's guess.

• Premium Member

According to Michael Cunningham, that may be exactly what the Hawks are looking at. Michael states in his blog that while Dave Pendergraft wouldn't mention any names, the Hawks did give him enough clues that he could make an educated guess on who the 5 players Atlanta is looking at with this pick are. His list:

1. Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech

2. Trevor Booker, PF, Clemson

3. Jordan Crawford, SG, Xavier

4. Dominiuqe Jones, SG, South Florida

5. Terrico White, SG, Mississippi

Dave Pendergraft did have some comments on each player. He says Lawal and Booker may be a little undersized, but they are strong in the paint and will not get mashed around down low. He called Jordan Crawford a mini Jamal Crawford, but Dave admits that he doesn't think Crawford will be there. Dave says Dominique Jones is a tremendous scorer, can really handle the basketball, and is very strong. He said Terrico White is such a good shooter that he's a guy coaches will call plays for just to get him open for shooting opps.

My best guess is that they want a guard, someone that can help them out defensively and be a solid shooter. I think Jordan Crawford is at the top of their board, and if he is there, they will pick him. After him, it's anyone's guess.

I agree. I'm pretty sure Jordan Crawford is at the top of their board. If he's not there, Dominique Jones is next on the list. I think the Hawks are kinda locked in to Horf being the center and Smoove being the power forward for this team. They seem to be more concerned with getting a guard at this point with Joe's situation hanging in limbo. But I wouldn't rule out James Anderson being available at 24. I think this draft will be unpredictable after the 5th pick or so. We could end up getting a lottery type talent with a mid 20's pick. How sweet would that be?

I agree. I'm pretty sure Jordan Crawford is at the top of their board. If he's not there, Dominique Jones is next on the list. I think the Hawks are kinda locked in to Horf being the center and Smoove being the power forward for this team. They seem to be more concerned with getting a guard at this point with Joe's situation hanging in limbo. But I wouldn't rule out James Anderson being available at 24. I think this draft will be unpredictable after the 5th pick or so. We could end up getting a lottery type talent with a mid 20's pick. How sweet would that be?

There is no way to know what player slips further then expected. Last year it was Sam Young and Dejuan Blair that slipped big time.

I have both Anderson and Crawford ahead of Jones too. I like E. Williams & Bradley as well. Bradley's defense would be welcomed on nights where Bibby is being torched.

Reports say Anderson has looked bad in drills. I hope that makes him slip. Anderson is not a "drill" guy. He is a 5 on 5 basketball player.

James Anderson is really my best case scenerio. He really caught my eye last January when he was playing vs. other 1st round picks like D. James / Bradley (Texas) and Henry /Collins / Aldrich of Kansas. I would also love it if Sanders or Alabi slipped to us.

Edited by coachx