• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hollinger on the Hawks signing Joe Johnson ... from 2005

Admin

Found this while searching for Hollinger draft articles. Classic example of putting too much stock into stats.

http://www.hawksquaw...__1&#entry96141

2. Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks (five years, $70 million, 17.3 pts, 5.2 reb, 15.18 PER)

Assuming this deal happens, it was bad enough for the Hawks to offer to pay Johnson roughly double what he's worth by giving him $14 million a year. It was bad enough that Atlanta's "plan" involves Johnson playing the point full-time, even though he gets into the paint about as often as Shawn Kemp gets into a leotard. But the real kicker for me is that the Hawks are now willing to fork out two No. 1 picks to Phoenix for the right to overpay Johnson so badly. Johnson's numbers have been inflated by all the minutes he's played, but on a per-minute basis he's a pretty ordinary player.

I think this tells you not to look at Hollinger's stats. If you notice, Joe's PER is probably right around what Hollinger predicted. Problem is, or course, PER is a crap statistic.

I would jump for joy if Hollinger and Joe's name were never mentioned here again.

Shout out to those who called me out on the Finals, too. I lost a bit of change, but I'm still cool, baby.

Edited by benhillboy