• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks Thinking John Salmons if Joe Johnson Leaves

AHawks89

If Milwaukee guard/forward John Salmons opts out of his contract as expected next week, the Atlanta Hawks will be standing in line to greet him as an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Hawks, according to a source within the organization, have discussed Salmons internally as a top option if they are unable to keep All-Star guard Joe Johnson.

Salmons still has one year remaining with the Bucks, paying him $5.81 million, but he has indicated that he will bypass that final season to become a free agent.

The two sides have been talking about a possible extension, and they will continue those discussions up to the June 30 deadline, according to general manager John Hammond.

Share The Hawks interest is not unexpected because there is a growing concern in Atlanta that Johnson will be lured away by one of the big-market team that have cleared enough salary cap space for a maximum-salaried free agent.

Johnson finished last season poorly, struggling as his Hawks were swept from the playoffs by the Orlando Magic, raising concern over his real value to the franchise. He had turned down a $55 million extension last summer, believing he could do better this summer.

The Hawks will be one of many teams talking to Salmons if he becomes a free agent. Although teams are not permitted to talk with players still under contract, or even free agents before July 1, all NBA teams are in various stages of planning for free agents at every level. And the Hawks are no different, except they have concerns about losing their best player, and what they would do next.

Salmons was obtained by the Bucks from Chicago in February, and he was the key for them making the playoffs for the first time in four years. Although he came into last season with a career scoring average of just 8.8 points, he averaged 19.9 points for the Bucks in the second half of last season. He also averaged 18 points in the first round playoff series that the Bucks lost to the Hawks.

Hammond told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse earlier this week that he still wants to keep Salmons, but the Bucks have been making alternative plans. They traded this week first for swingman Corey Maggette (Golden State) and then Chris Douglas-Roberts (New Jersey), which makes the return of Salmons look unlikely.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/23/hawks-thinking-john-salmons-if-joe-johnson-leaves/

I can't stand Joe's offensive approach while I like Salmon's, who is much cheaper. On the other hand, Joe should've been considered for at least a Second All-Defensive Team by now (Dwayne Wade, ha!), and Salmons couldn't guard a grill. Pick your poison.

• Premium Member

I can't stand Joe's offensive approach while I like Salmon's, who is much cheaper. On the other hand, Joe should've been considered for at least a Second All-Defensive Team by now (Dwayne Wade, ha!), and Salmons couldn't guard a grill. Pick your poison.

Hmm.. Salmons is a good defender and a very inconsistent scorer. He is an obvious downgrade over Joe, but if he leaves this is probably our best option for a short term solution.

I view Salmons as a major downgrade from JJ, but if JJ is moving on then beggars can't be choosers.

I agree. Loosing JJ will be a significant downgrade and Salmons is nowhere near the same caliber of player. I am not sure he is even better than Crawford.

The math doesn't work.

John Salmons opted out of a deal that would have paid him almost $6 million this year. Even if Joe leaves, the Hawks are not going to have the cap flexibility to sign this guy at what he's going to want. John knows this is his last chance, and he's going to try and cash in. There is going to be some stupid GM that will be willing to pay him based on what he did the last half of the year. I can handle giving him a deal at the MLE salary, but not much more than that. John Salmons is nothing more than a rotation player in this league, and he should not get paid like he's a star player in the waiting.