• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Please Explain Hawks/Thunder Trade

PaceRam

Can someone please logically explain the supposedly Hawks/Thunder Trade to me? If I am understanding this correctly the Hawks are trading their (or, the Nets?) 31st pick to the Thunder for cash considerations. If this is true is it because the Hawks ownership is just that cheap or could the Hawks actually have another plan (freeing up some money for another transaction?) in mind? I have to admit that tonight has been quite a roller coaser ride! At first I was not too thrilled when the Hawks selected James but then when I found out that the Hawks were actually going to get NOT ONLY Jordan but the Nets 31st pick as well (which I was really hoping the Hawks would be selecting either Alabi or Whiteside) I was very excited! But, then the news is that the Hawks are selling the pick (which was a player I don't know much about but at least he was a Center!) to the Thunder. I admit that I am not the smartest of NBA Fans but the Hawks moves tonight really has me confused!

Can someone please logically explain the supposedly Hawks/Thunder Trade to me? If I am understanding this correctly the Hawks are trading their (or, the Nets?) 31st pick to the Thunder for cash considerations. If this is true is it because the Hawks ownership is just that cheap or could the Hawks actually have another plan (freeing up some money for another transaction?) in mind? I have to admit that tonight has been quite a roller coaser ride! At first I was not too thrilled when the Hawks selected James but then when I found out that the Hawks were actually going to get NOT ONLY Jordan but the Nets 31st pick as well (which I was really hoping the Hawks would be selecting either Alabi or Whiteside) I was very excited! But, then the news is that the Hawks are selling the pick (which was a player I don't know much about but at least he was a Center!) to the Thunder. I admit that I am not the smartest of NBA Fans but the Hawks moves tonight really has me confused!

i dont want that wussy 7 footer on our team id rather have cash. we got crawford and thats all i wanted out of this draft

The Hawks sure took all the air out of my balloon! With the 31st pick they had their choice of Whiteside or Alabi and I was already counting tonight as a major victory for the Hawks! But, they sure managed to take that victory feeling away pretty hard and pretty quick! Jordan and Alabi or Whiteside would have been a pretty good haul for the Hawks tonight!

No good explanation.

We are following the Phoenix Suns model that cost them more money and resulted in less talent.

Are you excited?

I feel like just a few days ago AHF just had a huge revelation about the ASG, but was very cautious as to whether the revelation was true or not. This draft just confirmed whatever AHF realized about the ASG.

• Moderators

I feel like just a few days ago AHF just had a huge revelation about the ASG, but was very cautious as to whether the revelation was true or not. This draft just confirmed whatever AHF realized about the ASG.

Signing a coach for 2 years and selling the first pick in the second round means they don't believe in their hire (and aren't willing to trust him for more than 2 years) and don't believe in this team (not worth investing in a top second round pick). If they don't believe it is hard to make the case that the fans should believe.

You summed it up for me as well. Brilliant move....and then we sell the pick. Ugh...

Glad we got Crawford. I would have liked a center at 31 but they might need the cash to pay for JJ. Maybe they have something else in mind like buying a pick in a bit for less.. who knows..... Would be nice to know how much they sold the pick for.

• Moderators

Only explanation that I can come up with is the rumor that we deal the rights to Chill for the 7 footer McGhee? If that is in place then it may make sense?

It still doesn't make sense.

Only explanation that I can come up with is the rumor that we deal the rights to Chill for the 7 footer McGhee? If that is in place then it may make sense?

We can't trade the rights to Childress. the only way we can trade him is in a SNT dea.

Considering how weak the Hawks bench is selling the 31st pick smells pretty bad.

• Moderators

We can't trade the rights to Childress. the only way we can trade him is in a SNT dea.

Considering how weak the Hawks bench is selling the 31st pick smells pretty bad.

Yes it does. And the idea of landing McGee is a stretch as far as I am concerned.

Signing a coach for 2 years and selling the first pick in the second round means they don't believe in their hire (and aren't willing to trust him for more than 2 years) and don't believe in this team (not worth investing in a top second round pick). If they don't believe it is hard to make the case that the fans should believe.

But the ASG has invested so much in this team!! The fans need to support this team! The owners certainly have the right to be angry at our fans for not attending overpriced games.

/sarcasm

I am glad you have taken this stance. We definitely need a dose of respected, level-headed posters seeing how the ASG have been jackasses (for lack of a better word).

I am glad you have taken this stance. We definitely need a dose of respected, level-headed posters seeing how the ASG have been jackasses (for lack of a better word).

I disagree with this. We need a bunch of respected, white-hot angry posters. There's no reason to be level-headed here. Hoodwinked again.

Crawford is cool, but our problem in the playoff had nothing to do with scoring from the guard position. And if we sign JJ we now have 3 SG and 1.5 pgs. We only have 1 true center under contract. (Zaza) Even if Whiteside and Alabi were reaches at least we reached at a position of need. It still wouldn't have precluded us from signing a vet. Hell if Whiteside didn't work out we could have cut him, they don't have guaranteed contracts.

i dont want that wussy 7 footer on our team id rather have cash. we got crawford and thats all i wanted out of this draft

Yeah, but ... we didn't have to pick the German guy - there were other project centers to try like Alabi, Whitehead, and Jordan. It was the Tornado Suckers who wanted the German.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

By moving down in the first round, Hawks saved $$$ on their pick - - Plus, they got who they wanted any way.

With the savings here + the approximately $3 million they got for the next draft pick that they sold, they are

now in position to pick up a veteran big man without costing them anything more. Pretty slick.

With all the free agents out there plus all the swapping of players and the draft, some pretty good players

may find themselves without a job (team) and be more than willing to sell their talents to Atlanta.

Remember, this is not the end of things, just one small section of all the off season moves out there.

Do we really want another player to develop or do we want a proven veteran? Lets wait until we see

how this all works out before we dive off the deep end.

GO DREAM!!

10-4 FIRST PLACE!!

Edited by Gray Mule

I couldn't believe it at first, either, but after thinking about it I can't imagine a 7'1" center that slips to #50 actually turning out to be that special. Even Zaza went before that and that's in one of the most talented draft classes ever. Of course you can never know for sure, but those centers available may never be more than the next RandMo.