• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks a lottery team?

Vol4ever

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Apparently, we believe that, if JJ leaves, and I believe he is gone, Hawks will just have one less player.

Will the Hawks not find another player to go on the roster? Or, is our draft pick his replacement?

The statement about using the $3 mil. to sign veteran help - - Is there no veteran players out there

who are willing to come here and play? Is our money no good?

Woe is us. JJ will leave and we'll never win another game. Oh, we'll win. Just not very much.

Gloom despair and agony on me. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

:help wanted3:

Hawks still have some good players. Hawks will make the playoffs, with or without JJ.

Every off season, we hear the same thing. Every team in the NBA is going to be SOOOO much better

next season. And, they all believe this and make us believe it too!

GO DREAM!

11-4 FIRST PLACE!!

I think most here think we will not be better w/o JJ. It is really just a matter of how much worse we will be. If you think Craw is JJs equal and this rookie can be Craws equal, then we lose nothing. Problem with that is Craw is a ten year vet and has yet to be JJs equal; and the Rook has yet to step on the floor in a NBA game...

Now that 3 million dollars we made will not cover a mid level exception. What exactly do you think we can get for 3 million a year? Mike Miller, Nate Robinson, John Salmons, or Shaun Livingston are the only unrestricted shooters/scorers worth looking at and I do not think three million will get that done. And none of them has ever come close to equaling what JJ did in each of his last four seasons here.

Edited by Buzzard

:write a letter:

I agree. We can't lose a player of JJ's caliber and not hurt from the loss. However, I can't see

the Hawks as not being a competetive team without JJ.

As far as spending the $3 mil for veteran help. I don't believe they said that this was all they

planned to spend, just that it would help.

If we have no JJ, somehow things will still work out for Atlanta. All will not be lost.

GO DREAM!

11-4 FIRST PLACE!!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think most here think we will not be better w/o JJ. It is really just a matter of how much worse we will be. If you think Craw is JJs equal and this rookie can be Craws equal, then we lose nothing. Problem with that is Craw is a ten year vet and has yet to be JJs equal; and the Rook has yet to step on the floor in a NBA game...

Now that 3 million dollars we made will not cover a mid level exception. What exactly do you think we can get for 3 million a year? Mike Miller, Nate Robinson, John Salmons, or Shaun Livingston are the only unrestricted shooters/scorers worth looking at and I do not think three million will get that done. And none of them has ever come close to equaling what JJ did in each of his last four seasons here.

This is ridiculous Crawford doesnt have to be JJs anything we will be running an entirely different offense with a new coach . To assume that what JJ will be asked to do the exact same thing under Drew and therefore if he leaves Crawford will be asked to do the same is a giant assumption. If JJ comes back he will be asked to do things differently because his play the last 4 years is not the answer for this team . Thats why there is a new coach because they will be asking him to do things differently this year so why would if he leaves we ask Crawford to be 2006-2010 JJ when we know that gets us embarrassed right out of the second rd ?

I for one think that if you bring JJ back and keep Smoove well we will struggle anyway . This team has gone as far as it can with those two as as the leaders they just dont have the mentality needed to get the team over the hump .Im more than happy with either one but not both.

What the people who think we are a lottery team without JJ need to ask themselves is if they believe that then why are they so adamant on keeping AL and Josh if without JJ they are two bigmen in a bigmen starved league who cant get there team to the playoffs ?

At some point somethings gotta give either Al and Josh are the all stars and cornerstones that can carry us no matter who is in the team or we bring back JJ for a kings ransom and try and use one of them to get him the help he needs to get us out of the second rd .

At some point somethings gotta give either Al and Josh are the all stars and cornerstones that can carry us no matter who is in the team or we bring back JJ for a kings ransom and try and use one of them to get him the help he needs to get us out of the second rd .

People fail to remember it was aquiring Bibby and Al that took us out of the lottery; while JJ was playing at a all-star level and Smoove hit a very good stride.

Now Bibby is a shell of himself and we are losing JJ, that leaves us with two key players of the four that really was the core that made the difference for us our 1st year in the playoffs. You cannot expect the same results if we do not have similarly skilled players to replace them with.

And if you want to say that Smoove has improved leaps and bounds since 07/08 I beg to differ.

07/08 17.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg, 1.5 spg, 3.4 apg

09/10 15.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 1.6spg, 4.2 apg

Smoove became a much more intelligent PF last season but his help in 07/08 was just as important then as it is now. If Bibby is toast and JJ is gone, Smoove and Al by themselves cannot not make up for that. I cannot make it any clearer than that.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

If we lose Joe for nothing and don't sign any real free agents then I still think we're a low seeded playoff team. Horford and Smoove are still here in the frontcourt and Older Crawford is as well. The East is still weaker than the West so I can still see us skating in with a seventh or eighth seed.

If the Hawks lose JJ for nothing, I wouldn't say with utter confidence that they are a lotto-bound team. But as I've stated before, the folks who had to sit through the 1994-95 season with Ken Norman and Ty Corbin replacing Nique/Manning will be thinking it's Groundhog's Day. That squad lost 14 more games than the previous season and unless the Notorious A.S.G. open up the checkbook and allow Sund to do some work, this team can see the same thing happen to them.

Oh boy. I remember both Eddie Johnsons; the one here and the one who played for the Suns, Sonics, and Pacers. We could only wish/pray/dream/hope that Marvin could one day have similar game to him.

BTW, in one of those clips, I heard the commentator (I think it was Steve Jones) call Derrick McKey by his then-famous nickname 'Casper' because of his frequent tendencies to disappear in ballgames. Now THAT is a guy who reminds me of Marvin...