• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Miami really sign Wade +2

thecampster

So I did the math. They have 4 players under contract right now.

DWade (player opt out) - $17,149,243

Michael Beasley - $4,962,240

James Jones - $4,640,000

Mario Chalmers - $847,000

That's 10.4 million without Wade, 27.5 million with him. Cap is 57.7 million. Since they only have 4 players signed there is an 8 player penalty pf 473,604x8 for $3.788,832. So even with Wade signed, the actual free space for Miami as far as I can tell is about 26.4 million (granted 2 players signed refunds 2x473,604 to that so closer to 27.3 million available).

Am I missing something? That doesn't seem like enough to sign both Lebron and Joe or any other 2 free agents. One would get 17 million per and the other about 10. Then the roster gets filled with vet minimum vets and their 4 draft picks. Those draft picks are all second round and would cost against the cap since they are drafted (owned by the team) no matter what order they are signed. Someone who knows for sure please help with this math.

You sign the other 2 free agents first, then Heat are allowed to D-wade over the cap since its their own player. That is the basis of it, but its actually more complicated official way of explaining it.

NO that is not correct.

29. Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

( Source: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q29 )

So in the case of wade his option year salary of 17million counts against the cap until he signs with another team and his current team.

I know that is not allowed. I'm trying to figure out if I'm calculating the salaries wrong.

If they can find a team under the cap to give away Beasley to then there would be enough room for 3 NEAR max deals. The amount under the max would be so small that its hardly worth mentioning. One guy would get $17 mill and the other $15 mill..........or possible $16 mill each.

Bosh has let it be known he will not play center. That makes the Bulls attractive since they have Noah but they have to get James their to seal the deal.

Bosh loves Miami too but they need a center. Would they be better off bringing in Heywood to play center with Bosh and Wade ? Then you have to surround them with shooters.