• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I truely believe if Joe stays, it will be because a major trade is coming through.

Joker

I agree Sothron! If New Orleans is truly building towards the future, I proposed the following deal:

Atlanta receives: Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor

New Orleans receives: Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Mike Bibby, Nick Collison, and another player (couldn't quite get it to work)

Oklahoma City receives: David West

That gives New Orleans Crawford and Collison's expiring deals to go along with Peja's. It also rids them of Okafor's contract. They get a vet PG to mentor Collison.

Why would the Hornets do that deal if they were building for the future ? We dont have any picks to trade and the only way we get Paul from the Hornets is with picks . Cap room for teams like the Hornets means nothing because who could they ever get to sign there . Cp3 has the value right now of Al and Josh so why would they give us CP3 for just Josh and caproom ?

That deal is better than many of the deals that have been mentioned. Personaly, I do not believe Chris Paul will get traded. However, considering that the deals being thrown around that mention him include him being traded for Devin Harris and Yi Jianlian or Jameer Nelson and an old Vince Carter, you will have a hard time finding a better deal than New Orleans getting a young, budding star in Josh Smith along with a proven scorer with an expiring contract in Jamal Crawford.

I believe Josh is such a difference maker defensively and can be very explosive offensively when he plays close to the rim that it makes him a budding star along with his athleticism.

What's funny is that all these teams who are trying to clear cap space to make a run at Lebron, Dwyane, Amare, Chris, and Carlos, if the Hawks are able to resign Joe Johnson and can pull off trading for Chris Paul, then the balance of power in the East may actually shift to Atlanta. You are going to have a hard time finding a better trio than Chris Paul, Joe Johnson, and Al Horford. Yes, Joe's contract will be an albatross at the max level in a couple of years, but if it gets a championship to Atlanta in that time span, who cares?

When threads like this are making me agree with KB, that's saying something (just kidding my man.... :handshake: ).

I'm also in the boat of those who don't believe Paul will move from New Orleans anytime soon. He virtually saved pro basketball down there after Katrina hit. He's their Dominique and D. Wade. You only move that type of guy if you're getting that type of guy back and sorry, but neither Smith or Crawford is that guy.

But if by some minor miracle took place and they ended up with CP3, the balance of power in the East changes overnight. It would be similar to the day Vick was traded for, except instead of the question marks about his throwing accuracy and quarterback acumen (not to mention the ugly ending in '07), we'd get a bonafide superstar the entire basketball world know and love. Now only would the Hawks have the biggest star wearing its gear since Nique was doing 360 dunks in the Omni, but the best point guard in their entire Atlanta existence.

The perception of the franchise would also change overnight. We'd go from an organization of misfit owners and miserable front office staff to a group who finally has the appearance that they have their ish together. When the national folks take hold to that, it goes a long way with local perception and ticket sales. And you think we got some primetime games last year? TNT and ESPN would be building entire studio sets inside Philips Arena with CP3, JJ, Horford, and gang.

The only thing to worry about if a deal like this takes place is that I'll no longer be able to get those Chik Fil-A deals during the week. The place will be packed to the rafters....

• Premium Member

Actually, there's some good reason for us, too, to pause for thought before jumping on this one...

1) CP3's inclination to injury for one...

2) Okafor's substantial contract that gets to $14 mil and lasts til 2014... and

3) Conceivably, CP3 can opt out after two seasons, and in that case, the trade's appeal takes a big-time nose dive for the two years following that, assuming no big improvement in Okafor's game.

4) By comparison, NO frees up $10 mil almost immediately for free agency for next off-season and maintains control of Josh, whose contract seems much more commensurate with production, for 3 years compared to CP3's 2.

• Moderators

Actually, there's some good reason for us, too, to pause for thought before jumping on this one...

1) CP3's inclination to injury for one...

2) Okafor's substantial contract that gets to $14 mil and lasts til 2014... and

3) Conceivably, CP3 can opt out after two seasons, and in that case, the trade's appeal takes a big-time nose dive for the two years following that, assuming no big improvement in Okafor's game.

4) By comparison, NO frees up $10 mil almost immediately for free agency for next off-season and maintains control of Josh, whose contract seems much more commensurate with production, for 3 years compared to CP3's 2.

You make a good point. If we did this, we would probably want a commitment from Paul to waive his "opt-out" provision in his contract in exchange for us agreeing to the trade. That just makes it less likely to happen.

• Premium Member

Just adding to the implausible idea here.... but...

What would it take in addition to Okafor for MIN to send Jefferson our way?... Okafor arguably is a good fit with Love, but his contract (again) would seem to be the big issue...

Essentially, we'd end up with CP3 and Jefferson, having let go of Crawford and Smoove plus something.

I think Joe goes to New York or Chicago otherwise. But if we can trade Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, and picks for Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor. We become the best team in the league. Two potential elite players, CP3(is elite) and Al Horford(can be) with a star in Joe Johnson is better than any team in the NBA.

Chris Paul/Teague/Bibby

Joe Johnson/Jordan Crawford

Marvin Williams/filler

Al Horford/filler or Zaza

Emeka Okafor/JaVale McGee(if the SnT with Washington goes through)/Zaza

This is championship team in my opinion and one that can win it all multiple times. Of course I wonder if CP3 is truly on the market but I really think he is and New Orleans are willing to do this to get Crawford expiring and Smith smaller contract with All Star abilities since CP3 is likely on his way out in 2012. I know I made a topic like this before but I really think we need to be in talks with New Orleans. This might have been the trades which Sund was referring to at All Star break about major deals in the off-season that he was talking about with other teams. If this is the case, Sund drafted Jordan Crawford who is a scoring machine, A+ move at 27. Trading the 31st for 3 million dollars which will help resign Joe which would be golden. Traded for Chris Paul and Okafor which are needed pieces on this roster as well a bonafide superstar in Paul. Can I say Executive of the Year.

Re' uppin