• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why Atlanta saying they will pay Joe max changes our summer?

Joker

1. Joe Johnson is key for any deal we do here. No player of All Star or elite caliber will come here without Joe staying.

2. It's means we are opening to making major moves which other conference foes are doing. Miami and Orlando is who I am referring to.

3. It means we are not cheap, just mirco-managers. Annoying but effective. Micromanagement defined

4. It's mean we are not dead like I once had suspected with Gearon comments during a radio interview which got him fined by David Stern.

In my opinion, this is great news, we all know Joe wants money first and foremost. Winning is second and comfort is third. If we make a major move, pay him the max, and of course he's comfortable in Atlanta then he should resign.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think it has one meaning.

We will not give up talent for nothing. If we resign Joe, that doesn't mean we have to keep him for 6 years or 1 year. That means that we have resigned our most valuable asset and now we have the power to do what we will. We can either win with him or trade him for other players and a better circumstance.

• Like 3

This. Even Sekou said in his blog there is internal debate still at this late date if JJ is worth a max deal among the ASG.

I really think if Cuban, or anyone else for that matter, is willing to go six years we trade. All things being equal, I just cannot see the ASG ponying up for a true Max deal, when in comparison, they bailed for a paltry three million dollars.

Here's Bill Simmons trade value chart, I like it for the most part.

Top 40 NBA players in terms of trade value

• Premium Member

I really think if Cuban, or anyone else for that matter, is willing to go six years we trade. All things being equal, I just cannot see the ASG ponying up for a true Max deal, when in comparison, they bailed for a paltry three million dollars.

We're not trading Joe Johnson for Caron Butler. I'd rather just let him walk or low ball him.

I think it has one meaning.

We will not give up talent for nothing. If we resign Joe, that doesn't mean we have to keep him for 6 years or 1 year. That means that we have resigned our most valuable asset and now we have the power to do what we will. We can either win with him or trade him for other players and a better circumstance.

I agree with this.

Signing JJ to a major money deal does not put us on the hook for 6 years, unless he suffers an almost catastrophic injury or his game completely falls off the map. In 2 - 3 years, if we're not at least contending for an East title, those championship level teams will come knocking on our door, trying to acquire JJ ( like what the Lakers did for Pau Gasol ). When that happens, we'll get expiring contracts and extra draft picks, and we'll be able to re-make the team.

• Premium Member

I agree with this.

Signing JJ to a major money deal does not put us on the hook for 6 years, unless he suffers an almost catastrophic injury or his game completely falls off the map. In 2 - 3 years, if we're not at least contending for an East title, those championship level teams will come knocking on our door, trying to acquire JJ ( like what the Lakers did for Pau Gasol ). When that happens, we'll get expiring contracts and extra draft picks, and we'll be able to re-make the team.

Let's not discount us winning also.

Winning cures everything.

We're not trading Joe Johnson for Caron Butler. I'd rather just let him walk or low ball him.

I think the ASG would rather have a combination of expiring(s), picks, and/or a player. They pull it off and the ASG will be toasting each other over another great money saving deal.

• Premium Member

I think the ASG would rather have a combination of expiring(s), picks, and/or a player. They pull it off and the ASG will be toasting each other over another great money saving deal.

You don't become an owner to save money. You become an owner to win so that you can make money. It takes money to make money.

You don't become an owner to save money. You become an owner to win so that you can make money. It takes money to make money.

That is my opinion also Diesel but for the record our owners have done this: aquire expirings and picks while also not using the MLE last season, then selling a pick this season.

Maybe they are building up their war chest. But whether we resign JJ or not, I think this trade is asking a bit much of our budget minded owners. Aquiring one vet is about all we can expect if we resign JJ (which is what they said the three million is for) and maybe two vets (one expiring) if we lose JJ.

Edited by Buzzard

I agree with this.

Here's the rub. If you sign him to a big deal, you have to trade him before the decline sets in or before other teams realize that Joe Johnson is not a max player. If you wait too long, then you are going to have a very hard time convincing a team to take on a $20 million per season contract for a player who will have fallen behind, if he hasn't already, the two young bucks on this team in Al Horford and Josh Smith. In two years, Al Horford will be up for an extension. The Hawks have to be able to have flexibility to resign him. The difference between Al and Joe is that Al is still young and is an ascending player in this league. He already accounts for more win shares per season and win shares per 48 minutes than Joe. The same goes for Josh Smith. More win shares, and this past season, he had many more WS/48 than Joe.

Hello,

I really think that the only way that ASG Signs JJ to a Max Contract is if there is a S&T already a Trade in place. I really think it would be folly for the Hawks to spend over 100 Million Dollars to a Player that will be 35 at the conclusion of the Contract.

Given JJ's lack of charisma and marketability, it does bode well that he will want the 6th year and additional 30 Million Dollars and want a S&T. Unlike others, I really do not think he can make up the money elsewhere through ancillary income.

I just hope we do not trade with Dallas and take Dampier and his voidable Contract. The Rockets scenario sounds too good to be true. However, if we could get Martin, that would be great.

This has been an interesting prelude to Free Agency. Unlike when Smoove was an RFA, I really do not care if we keep JJ. This seems to be a sentiment echoed my many others as well. I just hope we receive a quality Player/Players in return.

Cheers,

JJ

That is my opinion also Diesel but for the record our owners have done this: aquire expirings and picks while also not using the MLE last season, then selling a pick this season.

What talent have the ASG traded away for expiring contracts ? Please fill us in.

I recall us trading expiring contracts for a longer contract (Speedy, Law for Crawford). Then we traded (Shelden, AJ, filler for Bibby)

That looks like owners who are buyers to me.

The sale of the #31 pick is no big deal b/c we got the #27 pick and used it. Considering they are preparing a $100 + mill contract offer to JJ I give them a pass on that one time they were sellers.

Edited by coachx