• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Hawks To Offer Full Max To Joe Johnson

GameTime

:cant believe:

Holy kryptonite Batman ! I can't believe what I'm reading.

:computer2:

If this is true now we know why they wanted that $3 mill of "pocket money" for the 31st pick. The ASG owners can be accused of some things but being cheap is no longer one of them if this tweet is true.

Coach him right Drew !

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67621/20100630/hawks_to_offer_full_max_to_joe_johnson/

Edited by coachx

As I said, a major trade is going through or else Atlanta wouldn't do this deal.

• Premium Member

I'm surprised.

I'm left to guess that Sund's not hearing the kind of sign-and-trade offers he considers to be viable, so he's going all-in for JJ.

EDIT: Hmmmm.... on second thought.... maybe the 6 year max is what another team is willing to assume, and Sund isn't... could still yet be a SnT situation when all is said and done.

Edited by sturt

I'm surprised.

I'm left to guess that Sund's not hearing the kind of sign-and-trade offers he considers to be viable, so he's going all-in for JJ.

EDIT: Hmmmm.... on second thought.... maybe the 6 year max is what another team is willing to assume, and Sund isn't... could still yet be a SnT situation when all is said and done.

We don't have much other options, no SnT makes us better or near as good, just puts us in more debt.

• Premium Member

As I said, a major trade is going through or else Atlanta wouldn't do this deal.

That has to be the case or this is the dumbest thing the Hawks have done since passing on Chris Paul.

I'm not sure I'm interested in following this team if you're wrong.

That has to be the case or this is the dumbest thing the Hawks have done since passing on Chris Paul.

I'm not sure I'm interested in following this team if you're wrong.

I share the same sentiment.

Maybe the Hawks are sure that Joe is going to leave regardless so its free to say that they would have offered him the full max just so they can tell the fans that they did everything to keep him. Seriously... I am a big Joe Johnson fan but its suicide to give him 6 years and 120 million considering this is not a championship contending core.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

Maybe the Hawks are sure that Joe is going to leave regardless so its free to say that they would have offered him the full max just so they can tell the fans that they did everything to keep him. Seriously... I am a big Joe Johnson fan but its suicide to give him 6 years and 120 million considering the rest of the Hawks core.

If JJ leaves $28 mill on the table then I worry about his mental health.

• Premium Member

Maybe the Hawks are sure that Joe is going to leave regardless so its free to say that they would have offered him the full max just so they can tell the fans that they did everything to keep him. Seriously... I am a big Joe Johnson fan but its suicide to give him 6 years and 120 million considering the rest of the Hawks core.

That's what I'm thinking. I remember the Falcons used to do this all the time with players like Andre Rison and Deion Sanders where after they signed with other teams the Smith family would lamely put out that they offered so and so but the players didn't want to stay here. Then you hear from the players that the deals offered were nowhere near as good as the offers they did take from other teams.

Maybe the Hawks are sure that Joe is going to leave regardless so its free to say that they would have offered him the full max just so they can tell the fans that they did everything to keep him. Seriously... I am a big Joe Johnson fan but its suicide to give him 6 years and 120 million considering this is not a championship contending core.

Joe is not turning down 25+ million plus. As I said earlier, there must be a major trade in works because this could cripple the franchise.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

This makes me think we are bringing him back with a max deal. I don't think they would tell Michael Cunningham about a max offer that was for the purposes of a S&T without the S&T in place and then it would be an announcement of a forthcoming trade.

Get ready to embrace JJ, gentlemen, because it looks like he will be in Atlanta for the foreseeable future.

That's what I'm thinking. I remember the Falcons used to do this all the time with players like Andre Rison and Deion Sanders where after they signed with other teams the Smith family would lamely put out that they offered so and so but the players didn't want to stay here. Then you hear from the players that the deals offered were nowhere near as good as the offers they did take from other teams.

Football is different and the Falcons were a joke. No one wanted to play here because they sucked.

• Premium Member
Get ready to embrace JJ, gentlemen, because it looks like he will be in Atlanta for the foreseeable future.

No, I'll be EVEN MORE critical of him now. I didn't think he was worth more than 2/3rds of this deal, if this is true.

• Moderators

Can someone explain the bird rights thing to me?

A team with bird rights to their own free agent can offer two things other teams can't. First, they can give larger raises for each year of the contract. Second, they can give a six year deal as opposed to a five year deal.

That adds up to something close to 5 years/$95.5M versus 6 years/$124.5M so the difference is significant.

• Premium Member

Football is different and the Falcons were a joke. No one wanted to play here because they sucked.

Yes but the cheap ownerships are the same. The ASG is right there with the Smith family for how pathetically cheap they are.

• Moderators

No, I'll be EVEN MORE critical of him now. I didn't think he was worth more than 2/3rds of this deal, if this is true.

Then kill the GM and ownership, not the player! If JJ is back, I hope Atlanta is cheering for him to reach new heights under Coach Drew and not dumping on him ala Marvin Williams.

• Like 1