• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Hawks To Offer Full Max To Joe Johnson

GameTime

• Premium Member
Its funny we would be seeing the exact same reaction and post had the JJ left the Hawks for nothing.

I doubt it. It would be disappointing, but not crippling.

The statement has always been ownership is cheap. But, for the last 3 summers they would have paid Market value for all their best players. What else can they do?

If they were going to spend this kind of money anyway, then they should've put a better team around Joe sooner.

If the Hawks do this then I and many other poster need to eat crow. The statement has always been ownership is cheap. But, for the last 3 summers they would have paid Market value for all their best players. What else can they do? All the other options we have are loser options or depend on another team. I wise man once told me you create your own luck. Teams like the Mavs, Cavs, Heat, Lakers, and Celtics were able to make big deals because they had big money already invested in their roster. When we missed out on other blockbuster trades it was because we didn't have enough salary to make moves. Hopefully those days are over. Let the ASG worry about the money.

I never thought the ASG was cheap. I just thought they had no idea about basketball.

I doubt it. It would be disappointing, but not crippling.

If they were going to spend this kind of money anyway, then they should've put a better team around Joe sooner.

How do you propose they should've accomplished that? Nobody wanted to come here in the lean years. Our contracts weren't enough for big money trades. Not to mention bad talent evaluation at the GM position some times. Again I say if this happens we have what we have wanted. Ownership spending money. They've done it. And this would pretty much guarantee that we will pay whatever it takes to keep Horf.

Ummmmm, how ?

They have been over the cap for years.......its not like they had money under the cap to sign other teams players. When they were under the cap they were not good enough to attract free agnets.

They have traded expiring contracts to upgrade talent with longer contracts twice (Bibby & Crawford).

They have resigned their own free agents.

The only thing they have not done, that they could have as owners, is used the MLE last season.

• Premium Member

The Hawks have had some combination of cap space, young players, draft picks, and expiring contracts every single season since Joe was signed.

Their player acquisitions through trade since September 2005:

Anthony Johnson

Mike Bibby

Jamal Crawford

Three players in nearly five years. Both Knight and Sund maintained that they wanted to build slowly and cautiously. This move is anything but slow and cautious (which is why I'm beginning to doubt it).

The Hawks have had some combination of cap space, young players, draft picks, and expiring contracts every single season since Joe was signed.

Anthony Johnson

Mike Bibby

Jamal Crawford

Three players in nearly five years. Both Knight and Sund maintained that they wanted to build slowly and cautiously. This move is anything but slow and cautious (which is why I'm beginning to doubt it).

They don't have time might be the reason.

Anthony Johnson

Mike Bibby

Jamal Crawford

IMO this move is a very cautious move by the ASG. But I know what you mean.

Anthony Johnson

Mike Bibby

Jamal Crawford

Again, even with the pieces guys have to want to come here. You don't trade for an expiring star that won't resign. Also, where are these great deals, besides Gasol and the C's big three, that has worked out?

• Premium Member

Sultan and coachx, there have been literally thousands of possible trade scenarios thrown out on this board over the past five years. If only a small fraction of them had a chance of happening, the Hawks could've made moves to put this team into contention for a championship.

Instead, it's almost as if they are afraid of bringing in more than one new player at a time.

On another note, I thoroughly enjoyed your attempt to convince Hornets' fans that they should trade CP3 to Atlanta (over on hornetsreport).

LOL, they totally brought the idea :shake_puter:

I don't think I am welcomed back. I got my point across.

Sultan and coachx, there have been literally thousands of possible trade scenarios thrown out on this board over the past five years. If only a small fraction of them had a chance of happening, the Hawks could've made moves to put this team into contention for a championship.

Instead, it's almost as if they are afraid of bringing in more than one new player at a time.

and there have been hundreds of free agency scenarios thrown out in the last 48 hours. Only a few them have chance of actually happening. It takes 2 to tango. Who says the other guy didn't say no?

Yes but the cheap ownerships are the same. The ASG is right there with the Smith family for how pathetically cheap they are.

If they really offer this guy 120 million bucks you'll need to find something else to hate on the asg over cuz you can't call them cheap with a straight face if its the case.

• Premium Member
Who says the other guy didn't say no?

If you expect me to believe that in five years the best players the Hawks could have acquired were Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford...

BTW, this move would put the Hawks with $2-3M of what is likely to be the luxury tax.

• Premium Member

If they really offer this guy 120 million bucks you'll need to find something else to hate on the asg over cuz you can't call them cheap with a straight face if its the case.

I absolutely can, actually. I don't see any other team that is signing max guys selling picks for money. I don't see any other team that is signing max guys hiring the cheapest coach in the NBA. I don't see any other team that is signing max guys not using the MLE or LLE.

• Premium Member

If you expect me to believe that in five years the best players the Hawks could have acquired were Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford...

BTW, this move would put the Hawks with $2-3M of what is likely to be the luxury tax.

Exactly. This team has had chances to improve its roster and the ASG wouldn't spend the dinero for it. I can't see them resigning Joe for the max unless Crawford or Smoove or someone else is going out the door in some kind of major trade. You don't spend 120 million on one player and do nothing else on a roster that is incapable of advancing past the second round.