• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Hawks To Offer Full Max To Joe Johnson

GameTime

• Moderators

I understand your position on this, but could we sign an undrafted rookie or 2nd rounder who gets cut for the same price as pick 31? In this scenario we get the $3million from pick 31, and get to choose from all of the unsigned rookies for the same contract price. So we get the money free and clear.

I understand this goes against what Sund said about needing veterans, but still a path we can take having not anticipated how much we end up paying Joe.

Pick #31 is basically a really cheap end of the first round pick. It is significantly different in upside in my point of view than the pool of cut 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents. We should absolutely be scouting and exploring that pool, but the #31 pick represents a much better chance at someone like a Perkins (#27) or Big Baby (#35) than the pool of undrafted free agents and if it didn't then I think you would see teams who were unable to sell their late first round pick simply pass on them (by drafting someone they will never sign) since late first round picks have guaranteed more expensive contracts (but teams don't pass on these picks because the extra cost is justified by the higher potential).

So you think that Denver isn't willing to pay the max for Melo, but will pay it for JJ?

Melo turned down a 3 year 67 million dollar extention. So rumor has it that they are willing to trade him rather than lose him in FA. IMO a long term signed JJ and Mar are a pretty good consolation. Those fans would show up regardless. They haven't exactly won championships with Melo.

So you think that Denver isn't willing to pay the max for Melo, but will pay it for JJ?

We can't send them Joe till Dec 15 and neither Melo or CP3 will come here without Joe. The trade we would have to do is J.R. Smith, Melo, and Nene for Marvin, Smoove, and Crawford or Melo, Martin for Crawford, Smoove, and Evans. I can't see us trading Marvin when when can get a center with him like Thabeet or Marvin/Evans for Bredrins. Of course it could change but he's the piece that could get us a center. Like I stated, Melo is my favorite player outside of Kobe, but I don't think he is a superstar, but more-so a star like Joe. His defense is really bad but his offense is the best in the NBA. He sells well since he is a top 10 face in this league. I would argue that he's a top 5 face. Wade, Bron, Kobe, Dwight, and Melo.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

We can't send them Joe till Dec 15 and neither Melo or CP3 will come here without Joe.

What are you talking about? JJ can be traded this month and Melo could be traded without his consent unless he has a no trade clause in his contract.

What are you talking about? JJ can be traded this month and Melo could be traded without his consent unless he has a no trade clause in his contract.

That's true but regardless Melo is not coming without JJ and JJ isn't signing with Denver.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

You aren't making any sense. Denver can trade Melo anywhere they want. Melo has no say in the matter at all.

I am not going to argue on this. We all know Joe is not going to play in Denver. He would take less money to play in New York because of the building being packed and him being nationally relevant. Denver is cold, Joe will not be relevant, struggle to sell tickets with Melo, and will not be relevant w/o him. As I said, this will never happen. Regardless of all actuality of this happening, if they don't want to pay max to Melo, why would they do it for Joe?

if they don't want to pay max to Melo, why would they do it for Joe?

That is the question i already asked.

But that has nothing to do with when JJ can be traded. It has nothing to do with Denver being able to trade Melo without his consent.

Isn't this the exact opposite of the Nique situation? Nique never got past the 2nd round and wanted a max contract right? Hawks said no and you'll be to old, so they traded him. People cried and complained. But Nique had not accomplished anymore than Joe has. He wasn't Bird, Magic, Jordan, Isiah etc.

Isn't this the exact opposite of the Nique situation? Nique never got past the 2nd round and wanted a max contract right? Hawks said no and you'll be to old, so they traded him. People cried and complained. But Nique had not accomplished anymore than Joe has. He wasn't Bird, Magic, Jordan, Isiah etc.

He was a face and a great dunker who also was an amazing scorer, but overall, he is today's Carmelo Anthony.

• Premium Member

People also forget Nique was never the same after a complete rupture of his Achilles tendon dramatically changed his game.