• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could the "Max" rumor be the creation of JJ's agent?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Humor my theory:

Arn Tellem (he's JJ's agent, right?) has been in contract discussions with the Hawks for a while. Being the astute agent he is, he recognized that the Hawks simply cannot afford to pay Joe $100M+. He also knows that a S&T is in the best interest of everyone involved.

However, the amount of money being offered to Joe in S&T offers simply isn't enough. So, he leaks information that the Hawks will offer Joe six years so that teams will be more aggressive in their S&T offers.

A little "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours???"

Too many scenarios to discuss.

1. What is Atlanta trying to do?

2. What are they will to spend?

3. Is there is trade in place?

4. Is this building up the client value so another team can land him?

5. Does Joe want to come back to Atlanta?

6. Will he really land more endorsements in another city?

7. What is Atlanta willing to do to improve the roster from what it is today?

And many more questions?

Humor my theory:

Arn Tellem (he's JJ's agent, right?) has been in contract discussions with the Hawks for a while. Being the astute agent he is, he recognized that the Hawks simply cannot afford to pay Joe $100M+. He also knows that a S&T is in the best interest of everyone involved.

However, the amount of money being offered to Joe in S&T offers simply isn't enough. So, he leaks information that the Hawks will offer Joe six years so that teams will be more aggressive in their S&T offers.

except for

1) last summer atlanta informed JJ he could sign for more this summer

2)Sund has said they will do "all" they can to retain JJ(same stance he took with Smith)

3)The only way to insure we keep JJ is to offer the Max first thing tonight and hope he tells everyone else sorry

4)Cunningham seems a little more savvy than to be tricked like that.

• Like 1

except for

2)Sund has said they will do "all" they can to retain JJ(same stance he took with Smith)

3)The only way to insure we keep JJ is to offer the Max first thing tonight and hope he tells everyone else sorry

+1

• Premium Member

Humor my theory:

That is what I believe.

except for

Precisely! Michael Cunningham has been very good about not putting out a bunch of assumptions. If he's reporting the Hawks are going to offer this, then he's heard it from someone within the organization.

Sekou recently said that there are some within the organization that doesn't think Joe is worth this. My guess is, that some is actually one, and it is the same one that didn't think he was worth the first contract he signed.

Humor my theory:

98_arn-tellem.jpg

You got me.

• Like 1

Out of all the rumors that are being spewed by writers at the moment, there are only two that I think you can take as legitimate.

1. The Hawks will offer Joe a max contract with no talk of a sign and trade deal being consumated.

2. The Heat and the Raptors have a deal in place that will send Chris Bosh to Miami in a sign and trade deal.

That's it. The two writers that reported these deals do not have a history of just putting stuff out there.

To me, both cases shows just how screwed up the salary structure in the NBA is at this point. Neither Joe Johnson nor Chris Bosh are max players. They are not players that you can build a championship team around. Can they be pieces to a championship team? Yes, I think so. I do not think either player is a center piece to a championship team though. Right now in free agency, there are only three guys available that I feel are true centerpieces to a championship team: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Dirk Nowitzki. Those are the only ones who are worth a max deal. Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Paul Pierce, and Joe Johnson are all secondary players. Teams are going to grossly overpay for all of them this offseason.

Right now in free agency, there are only three guys available that I feel are true centerpieces to a championship team: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Dirk Nowitzki. Those are the only ones who are worth a max deal. Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Paul Pierce, and Joe Johnson are all secondary players. Teams are going to grossly overpay for all of them this offseason.

I don't know about this. LeBron, Wade, and Dirk may be considered "max" players but thats not their true value. Actually getting LeBron, Wade, or Dirk at the max is actual a steal because they are really worth more than the max. This foolish idea of capping wages is what gets people in a tizzy about qualifying someone as a "max" player or not.

Are Amare, Bosh, Boozer, Pierce, or Joe anywhere as good as LeBron, Wade, or Dirk? No, but because of the salary cap they should be considered "max" players. And when you take the salary cap into consideration about a team and whether or not they should resign a player, look at the opportunity cost. If we let Joe, what is our next best alternative? When you boil down the realistic scenarios the conclusion that you come up with is what you really have to consider when giving Joe the "max". What's our alternative? OK, is that better or worse than paying Joe the "max" because we know someone will offer him the "max" because their cap situation is different than ours.

Don't hate the players, hate the salary cap.

I don't know about this. LeBron, Wade, and Dirk may be considered "max" players but thats not their true value. Actually getting LeBron, Wade, or Dirk at the max is actual a steal because they are really worth more than the max. This foolish idea of capping wages is what gets people in a tizzy about qualifying someone as a "max" player or not.

Are Amare, Bosh, Boozer, Pierce, or Joe anywhere as good as LeBron, Wade, or Dirk? No, but because of the salary cap they should be considered "max" players. And when you take the salary cap into consideration about a team and whether or not they should resign a player, look at the opportunity cost. If we let Joe, what is our next best alternative? When you boil down the realistic scenarios the conclusion that you come up with is what you really have to consider when giving Joe the "max". What's our alternative? OK, is that better or worse than paying Joe the "max" because we know someone will offer him the "max" because their cap situation is different than ours.

My thoughts exactly.

When you say Max let's look at it like this. Let's say every team had an open roster. All players are free agents. Your telling me some team wouldn't pay Joe the exact same contract we are offering? Yes they would. Because If you can't get Lebron, Wade, Durant etc. Joe Johnson is a nice secondary option.

• Moderators

+1

The cap artificially reduces the salaries of players that are worth more than the max in a free market. It doesn't do much to depress the salaries of guys who would command salaries at or just above the maximum salary in a free market.

If in a free market these guys would get:

Lebron $28M

Wade $26M

Dirk $24M

Bosh $22M

Amare $20M

Boozer $18M

Joe $18M

And if the max salary is $16M, then they are all max salary players even with a huge difference in their value.

I will say this, if true, the team just shot themselves in the foot with regards to Chills. Expect to hear of an agreement for a full MLE deal at 12:02am. Sure they have forever and a day to match or work out a SnT before he can even sign or the time we are allowed to match but there is blood in the water in regards to our current and future RFAs.

For the last time. The Hawks will not offer JJ the max or the deal would be done. there would be no reason to do the free agency thing. We offered 4 years 60 million last year. Why would we lowball by 59 million dollars if we were going to shell out the max contract in the end. There is no reason to play this game. JJ is gone, deal with it.

Sekou recently said that there are some within the organization that doesn't think Joe is worth this. My guess is, that some is actually one, and it is the same one that didn't think he was worth the first contract he signed.

Now, now KB...let's be fair. Belkin was FOR the max offer to JJ, then was for the max + Diaw, then was even OK with the max + Diaw + a first. He only balked when our "cardshark" GM wanted to throw in a second 1st round pick.

But let's let bygones be bygones smile.gif I'm looking forward to seeing what Drew can do with this team and I'm glad he gets the full compliment of players to work with.