• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could the "Max" rumor be the creation of JJ's agent?

mrhonline

+1

The cap artificially reduces the salaries of players that are worth more than the max in a free market. It doesn't do much to depress the salaries of guys who would command salaries at or just above the maximum salary in a free market.

If in a free market these guys would get:

Lebron $28M

Wade $26M

Dirk $24M

Bosh $22M

Amare $20M

Boozer $18M

Joe $18M

And if the max salary is $16M, then they are all max salary players even with a huge difference in their value.

So true. I wonder what Lebron and Kobe would get with no salary caps, no max salaries. A baseball like scenario. My guess is $35-40 Million. Jordan and Shaq got huge paydays back in the day.

However, the amount of money being offered to Joe in S&T offers simply isn't enough.

I think this is the only part of your theory I don't agree with. The money is probably there, just the assets that the Hawks get in return are not. But this ploy may alleviate that and the Hawks get better offers.

All this seems to fit. But the theory of the Hawks legitimate in offering a max is also plausible, especially considering your latest post from Woj about the Hawks owners not expecting to own the team by then. The only problem with the Woj post is that a potential owner would discount the team based on Joe's contract and thus give them a lower offer. So even though they won't physically pay Joe's contract, they would feel the lost value of the franchise based on the contract.

• Moderators

For the last time. The Hawks will not offer JJ the max or the deal would be done. there would be no reason to do the free agency thing. We offered 4 years 60 million last year. Why would we lowball by 59 million dollars if we were going to shell out the max contract in the end. There is no reason to play this game. JJ is gone, deal with it.

You realize we couldn't offer him a six year deal and were limited to a 4 year offer, right? It was literally impossible for t he Hawks to do what you are saying they should have done if they are serious about signing JJ.